dropping a gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dropping a gear

lets say for example your comming onto a freeway from your faviroute onramp and you are going pretty quick and then all of a sudden your bike pops out of gear, while you are accelerating and then leaves you costing in neutral!!! i didnt notice if the light for neutral was on or not.
    any idea's? it didn't happen again that night

it can happen sometimes you might not have engaged the gear all the way and it could have slipped out into nuetral or even between two gears giving a false neutral not something to worry about unless it happens more and more often then get it checked cause you could be rounding of gears did so on my old ZX6R not cheap and if it happens into a corner and you crash costs even more. if its a one off i wouldnt worry too much
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

I know sfa 'bout bikes 'n' stuff, but I've heard that dirty oil can cause transmission problems, like harder to get into gears or maybe false neutrals. I certainly noticed a huge difference after a service, but that could have been something else they'd done.
      Meow.

Comment

Shoxer had this problem on 04 Blade. For him it was a gear box rebuild.

Wouldnt want that to happen mid way thru an alleged wheelie!

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

Hopefully it was just a bad shift. What gets interesting is when you are entering a courner and it drops from 3rd to 2nd :shock: :shock:

Comment

Shoxer had this problem on  04 Blade.  For him it was a gear box rebuild.

04?
            Whoever is unjust, let him be unjust still

Whoever is righteous, let him be righteous still

Whoever is filthy... let him be filthy still

Comment

Opps! 94.

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

Thought it'd be a bit much for home to have done it twice!
                Whoever is unjust, let him be unjust still

Whoever is righteous, let him be righteous still

Whoever is filthy... let him be filthy still

Comment

If it happens regularly i would think about selling the bike or fixing it , Coz you don't want it letting go mid fast corner as you need the drive to keep the bike consitant and also if something is about to give up in the gearbox you certainly dont want it siezing on you mid corner....

If it only happens very occasionally try putting in some shit hot synthetic oil, Not the cheap ass $40-50 stuff but the best you can afford....
                  A good mineral oil is better than cheap synthetic ( cheap stuff is only about 70% synthetic )
                  Silkolene is good shit and really cleans up gear changes.
                  Silkolene retails about $95 but MDH will sell it cheaper if you take an empty bottle for him to refill.

But it could definetly be the start of gear box self destruction

Comment

yeah i'll get it looked at if it happens again but for now i'll carry out the IA first occorance re-cock fire or in this case back into gear accelorate

Comment

If you are lucky it may be just a bent shift fork.

It happened to me on and old bike after I fucked up a gear change badly.

The good thing is the on quite a few bikes you can change the shift forks without splitting the cases.

If not insure it and leave it out the from of the shopping centre in Booragoon. I hear its a good place.
                      You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

if you have just learnt to do whelies etc then this will be the problem. when people are learning they don't have good technique and fuk their bikes up. (just ask dangerous daz) you would have rounded your gears and prolly also bent a couple of selector forks. a rebuild will fix it and not cost "too much" if you can do it yourself, otherwise a shop can charge you a generous amount to fix it because of the labour involved.

hope this helps.
                        ...and on the seventh day God said "Let there be light!", and Chuck Norris said "say please!"

Comment

yeah i could imagine it would be fun when you do an alleged wheelie and you dont click the gear shift hard enough when changing up and it pops out... hmmm ouchies... for the bike and the alleged rider...
                          tba.....

Comment

If it only happens very occasionally try putting in some shit hot synthetic oil, Not the cheap ass $40-50 stuff but the best you can afford....
                            Do all bikes like fully synthetic?? or do some prefer a semi synthetic??

(Gixxie is getting an oil change soon)

Comment

some say that twins don't like synthetic but then some say that's a load of old tosh
                              I have never heard of a four having problems on synthetic although it is suggested to completly run the bike in first ( 1500K's ) Depends who you listen too....

The bearings and gearbox will always love it but the cylynders apparently dont in pre 1500k bikes :roll:

Comment

Working...
                              X