Bearing removal - Tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearing removal - Tools?

So i've pulled the notchy feeling triple clamps off the find the bearings are pretty rooted. I then went ahead and ordered some tapered roller bearings for the steering head.

Now, how do I remove the ring thingie that holds the balls up at the bottom of the second triple clamp? Is there a special tool to do this? Or even better, is there a place I can take it to to get it removed?

Or is there a gentleman someone here to help me with the removal process? :grin:

Cheers

Grind the shell in two spots with an angle grinder and tap it with a chisel it will just fall off.

MM

Comment

I used 2 screwdrivers to lever it off.
      You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

Dont forget the hammer. And put the bearing in the freezer before ya fit them so they drop straight in.
        10.81 BLADE

I'm a flirtalicious

Comment

Pretty sure she is talking abouth the lower race on the lower tripple clamp! How to get it off? Not the cones in the headset.

Comment

I used a punch and stuck it down through the middle of the headstem and gently tapped it out.
            Wes

Comment

yea i am talking about the one one the lower triple clamp. It's like a ring around the shaft.

I tried to lever it off with screw drivers and i was bending the retaining ring underneath it.

I would imagine it to be difficult to cut it since the retaining ring& the grease seal is right underneath the thing. Havent done this before so would anyone here be able to give me a hand?

Cheers

Comment

You could try drilling a hole in the bearing and hitting it with a small "cold chisel" to break it . It is something I will have to do shortly when my tapered bearings arrive from the US
                #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                Originally posted by Phildo
                Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                Originally posted by filbert
                i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

there is a bearing puller tool, it looks quite similar to a magneto puller, with a center pin you situate in the shaft and two arms whith hooks in the end which sit under the bearing on each side.

Edit: Prehaps ive actually been using a magneto puller all this time.. anyway you should be able to find one at your local supercrap auto
                  Last edited by Mr M00se; 01-12-2007, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Propper bearing removal "tool" is a bearing heater.
                    Only way to work on Bearings, downside= expensive!

Comment

Smash off the outer race ie the rollers and grind it. If you hack the seal buy a new one. This method works well I've done it many times in various situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                        You could try drilling a hole in the bearing

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by CT90 View Post
                          Good luck.
                          Was thinking the same thing, must have some flash drill bits!

Like marty said, break the cage off that holds the rollers, hammer and old screwdriver will do the job. turn the triple clamp upside down, place the end of the shaft on a block of wood so you dont damage it, easier if you can get someone to hold it, use big screwdriver and hammer to break through seal and then locate screwdriver on lip on bearing and hit like hell, well you shouldnt have to hit that hard, they are not on that tight, when you get it to move a bit, move screwdriver to other side, 180 degrees around shaft and have another go, keep going from side to side a little bit at a time. If you are somewhere near ballajura and can wait till monday ill do it for ya

Comment

got it all sorted.

thanks guys and especially rob

Comment

Working...
                            X