Tamper proof bolts - how to remove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamper proof bolts - how to remove?

So there are these two bolts at the bottom of the ignition barrel. I swear they are looking at me the funnily

Anyhow, i took them into Causeway Kawasaki thinking they probably have the special tool to remove it. 'Was told the only way to remove it is to drill it out, and grab something and pull... and I got lost somewhere along the line there

So has anyone done this before and how do these bolts / screws work?

Just thought i'd ask before drillings the whole things out and re-tap the buggers? (alot of work for two bloody screws the size of 2mm, and especially un-nerving when the ignition barrel is made out of plastic )

PS> it's a Kawasaki GPX250 and no, i am not stealing a bike

Originally posted by submit View Post
    So there are these two bolts at the bottom of the ignition barrel. I swear they are looking at me the funnily

Anyhow, i took them into Causeway Kawasaki thinking they probably have the special tool to remove it. 'Was told the only way to remove it is to drill it out, and grab something and pull... and I got lost somewhere along the line there

So has anyone done this before and how do these bolts / screws work?

Just thought i'd ask before drillings the whole things out and re-tap the buggers? (alot of work for two bloody screws the size of 2mm, and especially un-nerving when the ignition barrel is made out of plastic )

PS> it's a Kawasaki GPX250 and no, i am not stealing a bike
    post up a pic of the pattern mate. ya knowe.. like this? - or + or the star one , or the one that needs an insert in it to undo it?

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

they aren't just anti-tamper torx are they? a star with a post in the middle?

Comment

Most ignition bolts are the ones that have the nut part break off at a certain torque leaving a round blank head.

Usually recessed so you can't cut a slot in them.

Drill is usually the only option. They are not usually that tight ad come out fairly easy.

Left hand drill bits will help.
        To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

Originally posted by PSB Forum Software
        Sorry, no matter how much you try, you can not ignore yourself.

Comment

They look like external TORX (thanks rob), except the corners aint as pointy as the picture shows.

Torx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a pic of the actual thing, excuse the phone camera quality

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8...3072002wy8.jpg

Comment

erm yea the head either is eaten out by the weather or it looks pretty rounded.

with the crappy photo

Comment

much the same as aunger roof racks, super cheep or mal's do a set to remove em

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

on close inspection they probably are not TORX, there are hardly anywhere to grab onto them. It looks like what Hired_Goon has said, some part of the head has been snapped off.

So how do i go about drilling these out? Drill it out all the way and retap it or would a left hand drill bit turns the thing as it goes in?

Comment

Yeah, My car is full of tamper-proof fittings. Just have to go buy the right tools and your set.

Comment

Use a left drill bit as the goon said smaller than the thread size and then use an easy-out to remove it. They normally come out pretty easy.
                    Success is Choice.

Comment

Like the series 79 ones from here

GNI | TAMPER-PROOF
                      To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

Originally posted by PSB Forum Software
                      Sorry, no matter how much you try, you can not ignore yourself.

Comment

I have taken heaps of these off with cars (job not a theif) The tops are soft try a pin punch and hammer they should come out.

Comment

Yeah i'd say use a punch and a hammer.

just tap a little groove in it somewhere then slowly tap it out with the groove. be warned coz it takes a while.
                          Wes

Comment

Isn't the Australian refugee manual held together with tamper proof bolts?
                            John howard may be able to help you, he didn't want to retire two weeks ago, he shouldn't have changed his mind about working still.
                            sigpic

Comment

Try moving it with an automatic centre punch.

Comment

Working...
                              X