brake noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake noise

i've got a scraping kind of noise coming from my front wheel, sort of a "pshhht pshhht" noise, sort of like the brake pads are stuck on. does it just pushing the bike around, but very noticable (with helmet on) at 60kmh+.

is there any way i can pull the calipers off to see if there's a stone or something stuck in there? or any other suggestions?

Sounds like worn pads to me, once they get right down, pistons stay right out pushing the pads onto the disc....
    I had a vision of my reality once... then turned my back and walked away.

Comment

Mine do the same with new pads. It may not be a problem...

edit: ^^^^ oh yeah, first check to make sure you haven't worn the buggers down!

1. Put your bike on stand, jack up the front so the wheel's in the air, spin it by hand. If it will spin reasonably freely, proceed to #2. If it's a bugger to turn or stops turning immediately you remove your hand, there's a problem.

2. Take bike for a ride - DO NOT USE FRONT BRAKES. Try and get up to 60, use the back brake only. When you get back home, immediately and CAREFULLY (I have a burnt palm from this check) check the temperature of both disks. If they're cool you're fine. If they're both hot you have a problem. If one is hot and the other is cold you know where the problem is.

If there's a problem, most likely you have a buildup of shit around the pistons which is stopping one or more pots from returning back off the disk after braking. Take the calipers off, remove the pads - lay them out in the order so you put them back the same way they came off. Pop a thin (3mm) bit of ali or steel in between the pistons on both sides so they can't close completely, then use the brake lever to push the pistons most of the way out.

Be careful - if you pop them too far it's rebleed time.

Once they're out, use brake cleaner aerosol and a sponge to remove the shit. If you want to get carried away, use a strip of damp 1500 grit wet and dry to remove stubborn bits and shine 'em up again.

Push the pots back in, reassemble.

Good luck!
      "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
        2. Take bike for a ride - DO NOT USE FRONT BRAKES. Try and get up to 60, use the back brake only.
        problem with that - vfr'ers have linked brakes.

Comment

Stupid fkn hondas
          Stupid starfish for not twigging, too.

Don't use any brakes then. Find somewhere where you can go at around 60-90 for a decent stretch (5 min or so). Stop and check the disk temp at the start of the stretch. Let the bike wind down on the engine and coast to a stop at the end, and check temps again.

"Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
            lots of info blah blah

psst.... come get my bike keys n sort out the sqeelurgle that bunky's brakes have.. tis doing my head in !!!!

Comment

It's very easy to pull the left caliper off to check those pads (use a strong 6mm allen key).

I've got a similar problem with the pads rubbing against the discs constantly in the car, and that's come from hardened seals around my piston and slides.

Pull everything apart and have a look-see.
              Put the bike on the center stand and get someone to sit on the pillion seat while you rotate the front wheel looking for runout on the discs.

Comment

Originally posted by cowasaki View Post
                psst.... come get my bike keys n sort out the sqeelurgle that bunky's brakes have.. tis doing my head in !!!!
                OI!! get outta my thread!!

Comment

you may find that the brake pistons have a build up which should have been cleaned off . this will cause the pistons to stick a little and hold against the disk. Use scotchbrite to clean them.
                  Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Originally posted by Brougham View Post
                    OI!! get outta my thread!!
                    Laffin.. sorry. If you get yours fixed.. you can come fix mine then

Comment

Working...
                    X