Oil Grades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Grades?

Ok, so it's about time I replaced the oil in the ZXR, as well as the filter.

What grade oil do I use? I'm assuming I cant go out and just grab any regular car oil (Or regular car synthetic), but that it should be a certain grade? 20W-40, 10W-50? Help! :oops:

The bike is an 89 ZXR-250A, with a piddly 14,000 GENUINE km on the clock (No, it has not been wound back, just never got ridden for 6 years!).

Internals are a little shitty, simply because it was stuffed in a shed for 6 years with the oil in it, carbies full of fuel tank liner (Not me, dont ask!!), so I need something that is going to give my baby the love she needs, and help keep the gearbox going hard, even when she is on the edge of a 19k RPM gearshift!
    Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD's, you know you wanna hit it, but you are afraid of the consequences!

Whichever bike shop you go to to buy the filter would also have the oil you need.

Asking different people about oil is the same as asking about tyres,
    your guaranteed to get different recommendations. (Especially at the shops)
    But either way you'll get what you pay for.

Everyone would recommend against car oil.
    (Although I've accidentally topped my bike up with Magnatec a few times. No worries, burns off quick enough. )
    sigpic

Comment

i was using a motorex oil (i think thats wat it was called) its a premium oil for high performance bikes .. soooo yes it was a bit wasted on the zx2r ... however it was great quaility .. only thing was it was bloody expensive ..

i got mine from kamahl at causeway honda .. ask him which oil goes with the teflon chain lube and then get the top of the line one .. thats it
      Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

i was using a motorex oil
        Yes Motorex is what I use also. It is a top quality oil. When I first put it into my bike, the difference was totally amazing. The biggest difference I felt was the gear changes were so much smoother.

soooo yes it was a bit wasted on the zx2r
        Good oil is NEVER wasted, no matter what your bike is. Your bike is expensive to fix, so why put less than the best stuff in?

only thing was it was bloody expensive
        You get what you pay for. If you expect the best out of your bike, then you should expect to spend a bit of money on its upkeep!
        If you can... you MUST!

Comment

cheers klink .. i couldnt remember if i had the rite name .. i agree totally .. u do get wat u pay for and its definately worth using..(some ppl would disagree for a 250 is all)

personally im with klink use the best stuff u can jamb in there
          Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

Mind you... and I'm sure a few people would agree with me: but not all cheap oil is crap either, there are some good oils out there you dont have to get a personal loan for.

However, if you want the best expect to pay for it.
            If you can... you MUST!

Comment

Working...
            X