Sprocket and teeth question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprocket and teeth question

A work mate of mine acted surprised and asked why i still had all my teeth on my rear sprocket.

Is it common practice to take an angle grinder and remove every 4th tooth on the sprocket to increase acceleration? or is this guy just a handy man nut job? no offense to him of course

i have tried searching the forum and google but cant find an answer
    Print this off and show him
    38.24%
    Dont tell him. get him to do it to his new bike(2 months away)
    61.76%

he is a knob.... enough said.
    Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Hahahaha NO
      10.81 BLADE

I'm a flirtalicious

Comment

hahaha what an idiot, its heaps better if you remove them all
        If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Fark yeah! I drill into my rims with a 25mm hole-saw too for weight reduction.
          Find me on Instagram

Comment

Most people add extra teeth to improve accelleration.

Comment

Whoa i didn't expect that response so quick

cheers for all the encouragement. so far i have gathered that it will do just about f#ck all which is what i was expecting. makes me glad i didn't consider his offer to do it there at work

Comment

That's fucking GOLD!

Can't wait for the LNR tomorrow night... "Yeah, I been riding fifteen ye - wait - WHAT are you doing? Why the hell haven't you done the sprocket mod yet?"
                "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Yeah totally, less teeth on the rear sprocket will give you a higher top speed!

Comment

HAHA great to see ive given a few of you a laugh. ill have to show him this thread

Comment

Cheers JK.

Now, I have increased the number of teeth on the back and reduced the number of teeth on the front sprocket.

Not by removing teeth, but by replacing the sprockets with different sized sprockets. Bigger sprocket = more teeth.

The way I've gone improves acceleration and rear wheel torque.

The opposite way will increase your top speed (eg Tyson's turbo busa build thread).

But not by grinding teeth off...
                      "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Never grind the teeth off a sprocket you'll just root your chain and sprockets VERY quickly.

Smack this guy upside the head if he was being serious
                        Wes

Comment

Grinding them off wouldn't change anything as you aren't changing the size of the sprocket you will just have bit where the chain gets mangled.

Anyway....twat

Comment

madkat had a sprocket that was missing about every 4th tooth

Comment

I can't divide my sprocket by 4 what gives. Now I only have two teeth between the last two gaps. I need help.

Comment

Working...
                              X