Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zzr250 idle then stop????

Hey all

Not sure if any one has had the same problem or if it's common so any help would be great

My 1990 zzr 250 rides smooth rides hard and has had a full service as well and is still doing wat i'm not sure if it is suposed to do...

MY bike will sit at 1000rpm and moves/jumps between 100/150 rpm (so it's moving up and down) if i leave it with out reving it for more then say 5-10 seconds it stalls....

this is my question is this normal on a bike or not should i be able to leave it idleing byitself and not have to rev it constantly????

Thanx for any help...
    All you need to know about booze

Alcoholic receipies, and heaps more all about Alcohol
    Visit us now
    http://boozebenders.blogspot.com

on the side of the bike there is a knob, no not you, it's attatched to the bike. This will adjust your idle. Turn it until the bike idles where it should. It you still have the problem take it to someone to get fixed.
    Originally posted by kyliejane
    benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
    Originally posted by harns
    Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

Idle mixtures & carb balance?

Comment

Is this after it's been on for a while or while it's still a bit cold? How long has this been happening?

I would say that no, it's not normal for a bike. It doesn't happen on my ZZR, but mine's a lot younger than yours. Definitely up the idle RPM's - your service manual states that the idle RPM for the ZZR should be around the 1250 RPM mark - it will definitely help. I've just checked the Ninja GPX250R manual (Section 2-4 Fuel System) I have on my USB stick, and it says 1300 +- 100 RPM. They haven't changed the design much in the last 15 years, so you can bet that's what you're bike should be set to.

I'm trying to track down the link for the GPX 250 manual so you can download it too; it's a good reference if nothing else, but the link is eluding me atm...

EDIT: God bless gMail:

The Spares Network - Downloads - [email protected]

Could it also be something that's getting obstructed or blocked when the throttle body is closed? Fuel not flowing properly, etc.? 5-10s is about the time it takes for my bike to stop running funny when it's hit reserve tank, so that could be something to consider too.
        Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

Comment

Increase the idle with the adjustment knob, and if you can, give the carby's a clean (using carby cleaner and/or fuel treatment).

You could also have a vaccuum leak around the carby boots on the head.

Try the adjustment first, then work down the list.

Comment

If it's stopping when it's cold, put the choke on for a little longer.

As Tenchi says read your manual, you have got one right I would have thought that the idle would be set somewhere around 1200 - 1300 rpm's?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
              As Tenchi says read your manual, you have got one right
              There's a link attached to the post that is the download link for the ZZR250/GPX250 bike now, added after the initial post Just thought I should mention it because it's not immediately obvious.

Remember... Section 4-2. I think it's the first line after the heading.

Comment

just me being a smart arse, he has a manual, guess he just wanted experienced input

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
                  just me being a smart arse, he has a manual, guess he just wanted experienced input
                  Actually, I would say that's a bit questionable - it'd be quite a feat to keep the manual safe and sound since 1990. Not out of the question, but quite a feat - when I went looking for cars from the 1990 era only about half of them had a service manual and full documentation, and how easy is it to keep your documents in the glovebox or under the seat? It's not like a motorbike where the space is somewhat limited, especially as is the case in a ZZR where even the toolbox doesn't fit properly if you don't repack it right.

That and not knowing that the idle RPM's should be higher indicates he wouldn't have read it... the first thing I did when I got my bike was to look it over, admire it, then look at the manual to learn how I should take care of the bike and what I should know before I even turn the ignition. After that I set the idle revs up a bit (from 1100 to 1200, dad upped it again when he got his hands on it) and tweaked all the levers.

Comment

I have a simiar problem that i was about to make a thread for. i ride a kawa zr250 balius. in the morning if i let it stall withing a few mins of starting it up(before riding off) i cant get the bastard started again. this is what stopped me going on sandra's leaner ride. it cranks just wont kick over...

Comment

Originally posted by Tenchi View Post
                      Actually, I would say that's a bit questionable - it'd be quite a feat to keep the manual safe and sound since 1990. Not out of the question, but quite a feat
                      Um I know, cos I gave it to him

Any luck with the idle problem yet??

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyking View Post
                        I have a simiar problem that i was about to make a thread for. i ride a kawa zr250 balius. in the morning if i let it stall withing a few mins of starting it up(before riding off) i cant get the bastard started again. this is what stopped me going on sandra's leaner ride. it cranks just wont kick over...
                        Going out on a limb here - if you've had the choke on when it's stalled, you've probably flooded the bike.

Whilst cranking, open the throttle fully for 0.5-1.0 seconds and then close again (with the choke OFF) and keep cranking, this can help clear any excess fuel out of the bike, and might get it started for you.

The other thing may be that your valve clearances have tightened up (particularly exhaust valves in this case) and you have low compression. When the bike is cold, low compression will make it even harder to start.
                        Clearances are easy to check, especially on naked bikes like the Bailus, and usually only need a socket set (10mm hex + one suitable for the crank end) and a $10 set of feeler gauges.

Each bike has it's own personality, and therefore it's own quirks when it comes to cold starting with carbies. Get to know the bike well and you'll be able to re-start it in no time in the future.

Comment

hey guys thanx for all the info havent tried it yet been working all week but will be having a look at it tomorrow cant wait lol

will keep you all updated lol

and yes i have the manual and i no i havent lost it haha

but yeah luv to hear wat all u experts say coz i'm still new to the whole bike game :s

Visit us now

Comment

hey guys i have adjusted the idle but it has only moved up a bit and i have turned the nob about 4 full turns anti-clock
                            it's better but it's prob sitting at about 1000-1100. do i have to wind the nob heaps more just to get a small movment in rpm??? and the manual doesent say witch way to move it am i moving it the wright way ???

thanks

Marko

Visit us now

Comment

Should be clockwise to increase the idle.
                              Are you sure you got the right knob?

Comment

Working...
                              X