Fuel Tank Cleaning - How or Where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Tank Cleaning - How or Where?

Erm before i start, this is my third questioning thread this week! Dont ban meeeeeeee:tomato:

Just picked up the fuel tank from the painter. I can hear sand and stuff inside when I shake it. Also it appears there is some rust inside the tank.

How do I go about cleaning it out safely, without damaging the new paint or other components on the bike?

Or should I get someone to do it professionally and if so, where's a good place to have a word to?

Once again, cheers

fill it and drain it several times, with the filler and tap off
    If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

tried that, the sand is still there. and it didnt remove the rust either (im talking about the brownie dust thingo when it dries out)

Comment

lol, brownie dust
        i think theres some stuff you can get to line your tank, no idea what its called though, and i think its pretty pricy
        If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

there hasnt been anyone attempting to lay a brick in my fuel tank.

not to my knowledge anyway

isnt there some chemical to chuck into the tank and rinse out?

Comment

KREEM and POR-40 (or something).

Removes rust and re-lines your tank.
            Ain't cheap though.

Comment

Take the petcock off and turn it upside down and blow air up the filler hole with a compressor and attachment.
              3SOOM

IF IN DOUBT , POWER OUT

Comment

Some things i have tried sound a bit dodgy but have worked, i deal mostly with old tanks that have been sitting for years. If you have time, fill the tank half with radiator inhibutor and a small bucket of clean sand, colse it up and leave it in the back of you car for a week of rock and roll, I always thought though to wrap it up in a big blanket and stuff it into a cement mixer and give it a good hour or so. then for the clean up just wash it out with water, use loads of water till it has no sand left then shake some oil a petrol around to clear out the water. Sounds rough i know but has worked for me. Put a little inline filter on till you have cleared a couple of tanks of juice. You can get a sealant pack from steves in midland for $80 but it makes the inside of you tank look like shit.
                I'm Living the dream. Really I am.

Comment

i have had similar problems b4 with a gpx tank, used a compressor and lot of bouncing the tank around to loosen up the crap in the tank, drained it a couple of times and the used a trusty old vacume cleaner with a bit of garden hose taped on to suck out the rest of the shit, worked a treat

ps make sure the tank has no petrol in it before you vacume and give it a could blow out first (petrol vapour and electric motor probably not a good mix)

Comment

POR-15. If you know someone in the auto game you can get it pretty cheap. It has a degreaser, a rust converter and last a paint to prevent the same from happening again.

1 kit for a bike retails around $80. The car kit which is much larger goes for a little more.

Comment

Working...
                    X