Stuck Sparkplugs!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Sparkplugs!?

Soo.. I got the bike in for its first minor service and i get a call this morning saying they cant take out my spark plugs.. apparently there too tight and if they do it too hard they might snap them.. which means i might have to take the head off which apparently is gonna cost me well into the thousand dollar mark.

What are my options here.. take the bike elsewhere for a second opinion...?

Am i being jipped or other poeple had this problem before?

99 zx6r

cheers

try squirting heaps of WD40 down there, and leave it overnight.

Worked on my old falcon, worth a shot!

Comment

Or try running the engine, sometimes the heat can help shift them, but definitley try the WD40 route aswell

Atleast try it, cause if you do snap one, you gotta take the head off anyway to sort it
      Designed by a Genius.
      Built by Craftsmen.
      Ridden by a TWAT!

Comment

Originally posted by RICO View Post
        Or try running the engine, sometimes the heat can help shift them, but definitley try the WD40 route aswell
        This.

Comment

Rico is on to it... get the engine hot and give it some WD40/CRC...

Comment

The warm motor and wd, (INOX is even better) is definitely worth a try. Once you get them loose, out a couple of turns, in a couple of turns till they come out. If you damage the thread, I have a tool that will repair it without removing the head and as long as it's not completely stripped. Mind you, I'm assuming these run a 12x1.25 thread. The tool's called a thread saver. You're welcome to borrow it.
            "The ThreadSaver is a collapsible tap with a centre rod that enables the user to regulate the amount of pressure at the thread cutting end of the tool. It enables the user to adjust the cutting depth of the thread by simply pushing the rod toward the cutting head to increase depth or retracting the rod to reduce cutting depth.
            To start the operation, the expanding rod is removed. This allows the collapsible tap end to be inserted into the spark plug port hole. Bearing in mind this unique tool cleans or cuts the thread on the way out. With the collapsible tap end, the tool is inserted past the damaged or contaminated spark plug thread. The expanding rod is replaced through the centre of the ThreadSaver tool and now comes the best part, the ThreadSaver is wound out cleaning or repairing and realigning the thread and with the help of a little grease on the tap end, metal and carbon particles are brought out through the spark plug port hole along with the ThreadSaver tool."
            EDIT: Just checked and it appears you have "C" series plugs (10mm),
            I haven't got that one (12 & 14 only). I believe a 10mm unit is available.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 19andrew59; 11-12-2007, 06:30 AM. Reason: Wrong tool size?

Comment

wd/inox/penetrene soak, try cold if no go, try hot, if no go try warm (let cool a bit) with wd/inox etc

failing that stop being a pussy and crank up the torque (undoing rotational direction that is)

;P
              "Redlines are merely suggestions"
              "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

They were probably done up when the engine is warm. So. Also don't use a double hex socket otherwise you will round the plug off. Which is highley likely already seeing as though they have told you they are tight. I.E. how did they find out it was tight? Did they say oooh that's tight I better not undo it, unlikely. Something probably went wrong like they rounded of the head. Check it when you pick it up. Use a single hex socket and put your back into it.

Comment

sounds like i may have to get someone to come around and assist me with this. I dont understand how it was like this in the first place but i guess thats life

Comment

Originally posted by RICO View Post
                    Preferably not at the same time.

Hot exhaust + inox/wd40 = probably a bad idea
                    No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

I regularly spray CRC on stuff I've just had a heating torch on...

No flames, just a lot of smoke...

Comment

When you fit the new plugs put a small amount of copper coat grease on them this will stop this happening again.

Comment

if its first minor service have you taken it back to the dealer you got it off?
                          if so, who put the plugs in, in the first place...
                          their work, their repair!!!!!
                          Real Men Ride Nakid
                          http://www.streetfighters.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Billywhizz View Post
                            if its first minor service have you taken it back to the dealer you got it off?
                            if so, who put the plugs in, in the first place...
                            their work, their repair!!!!!
                            Billywhizz is right. I would be hitting them up to fix it as it is all under warranty if it's a first service. I am assuming no one else has worked on the bike?

Comment

99zxr ?? not its first service. Looks like the one in the for sale section a few weeks back ???? New owner maybe.

MM

Comment

Working...
                              X