Serious head shake when slowing down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious head shake when slowing down

I have some serious head shake when slowing down from bout 100km/h. Hits bad about 80. I have read though a few threads including THIS ONE where I found this piece of information THAT I HAVE BEEN DOING UP TIL NOW.

Originally posted by oblivion View Post
    solution: don't let go of the bars.

problem solvered.

ok that'll be $60 an hour, minimum of 4 hours, payable to myself.

This also poses the question "how does one make sure the rear end is aligned properly".

Measuring from the rear axle forwards to an equal point each side on the bike only works if the chassis is straght. [The FZR being from the year of 91 and through who knows how many riders} Not something I can say YES ITS STRAIGHT AND NEVER BEEN CRASHED. If I get a straight edge from the rear to front, how do know the rear is not just off parallel and on the piss. At what point on the rear of bike do I take a horizontal measurement?

ANY ideas are appreciated.

You can also sit the rear of the bike on a trakstand then run a string line from the rear, making sure it touchs the edges of the rear tyre and then running it forward, by rights if both tyres are square to eachother then the distance from the front tyre to the string should be the same for both sides.

Is that clear enough?
    Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

Comment

Comment

gotchya. I'll do it tomoro. TA.

Comment

Do you get the headshake when slowing down, when you just coast or when you use brakes??

Comment

Warped discs, headstock bearings, wheel bearings.
            It's a fairly old bike, so could be any of the above.

Comment

Whats the tyre wear like? Could it be under-inflated tyres?

Just a thought

Jarrod
              Handled by one.... Feared by all

Comment

Dunlop GPR70's done about 2000km running 28psi

Comment

Do you have a tread pattern that crosses the centreline?

I've had the same thing happen when I've had uneven tread wear on the front tyre.
                  2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                  In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                  Amen, brother. Amen.
                  My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
                    Do you have a tread pattern that crosses the centreline?

I've had the same thing happen when I've had uneven tread wear on the front tyre.

Yeh it does. And I have done 2 track dayz at wanneroo on those tyres. hmmm

Comment

28 psi?! That's probably a little low also dude.. Try bumping it up to 32-34psi and see how it goes.

But as Jim said, headstem bearings,warped discs, wheel bearings, could even be your chain adjustment if it's that far out left -> right

Comment

Originally posted by bennysthe1 View Post
                        Dunlop GPR70's done about 2000km running 28psi
                        go to 35+, should dissapear.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
                          28 psi?! That's probably a little low also dude.. Try bumping it up to 32-34psi and see how it goes.
                          +1
                          28psi is under-inflated.
                          "Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post

But as Jim said, headstem bearings,warped discs, wheel bearings, could even be your chain adjustment if it's that far out left -> right
                            Headstem bearings are good, wheel bearings good and shocks have just been fully rebuilt. Brake discs are average though and the pads are getting changed next week cause they are on the limit. Gonna check front/rear wheel alignment and pump up front tyre tomoro.

Comment

How'd it go?

Comment

Working...
                              X