Steering head nut, how tight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering head nut, how tight?

I've replaced the standard ball bearing and two races with roller bearings. Now the workshop manual says to torque it up to 20Nm. Two questions:

1. Since it is a completely different style of bearing, is this figure still a good indication?

2. What tool do I use / How do I torque it up to spec? There is no fitting for the torque wrench and the C spanner gives no indication, unless I use a fish scale

Thanks,
    "The-Greasy-250"

Err... torque wrench + big socket?

Unless stated otherwise on the bearings or something, i'd use the torque settings from the manual...
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

sockets dont bite, the ring nut is completely round, with slots.

Also the bearings are completely different, roller bearings are cone and sleeves type and requires tolerances.

Comment

2 ways either get the right thing or use a c spanner and get used to the feel of 20nm on a test bolt with a torque wrench for the right lenght of your c spanner.
        Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Ahhh those things... Yeah what arwon said. If in doubt maybe tighten it up a bit, then ride carefully to somewhere/someone who has the correct gear and get it torqued properly...
          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

20Nm is fine for roller or ball bearings.

Get a torque wrench, or just do it up reasonably firm (not super tight, and not 'just on'). If it's way too loose or tight, you'll soon know.

Comment

i have a torque wrench, but no fitting to fit on the nut.

and how do u fit a torque wrench onto a c-spanner

Comment

If you fitted tapered roller bearing the bearing tension will be less that 20mn. What is it your asking the upper nut tension or the bearing tension ?? The correct way to set the bearing tension is with a spring scale, the other way is by feel this takes experience. Use a small pin punch if you are going to use the feel method.

Put the front wheel off the ground and turn the handle bars from side to side, they should move to the stop under their own weight but not slam it. As I said this maybe hard for you to do as it takes experience. If the head set is too loose you will get a clunk under brakes (this is really loose) or a tank slap under heavy acceleration, if they are too tight you will get a low speed weave. Have fun

MM

Comment

Thats what the guys are saying, you will have to do it by feel if there is no proper adaptor to fit the nuts/c nuts etc
                  Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

Comment

my apologies, i was asking about the top nut tension

sounds like i'll require some assistance. Anyone fancy a beer in East Perth?

Comment

Top nut tension is easy you have the tension wrench now you need the correct size socket. Measure it across the flats and post up maybe someone will have the correct size, or just buy one

MM

Comment

ooo crap

i banged the living jebus out of the top bearing to get it flush. Thought you set the tension by adjusting the top nut

as for the sockets, i've got a bunch lying around from the supercrap toolbox but non of them fit. Is there a special socket for these types of nuts?

Comment

never seen a gpx but they normally have a two lock nuts with slots cut in them and a locking washer that sits in the slots. The top nut normally just holds the top tripple clamp on.

Comment

Babbitts Sports Center | Arctic Cat OEM Parts | Can-Am (Bombardier) OEM Parts | Honda OEM Parts | Kawasaki OEM Parts | Polaris OEM Parts | Sea-Doo OEM Parts | Suzuki OEM Parts

Go here and have a look at EX250 under the frame section. 92090 is the bearing tension and 92002 is the upper tripple clamp bolt. Is this what you have ???

Comment

yup. 92090 is the one i am after for the tension.

Comment

Working...
                              X