Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats people opinions of some of the newalternative brands of tyres coming out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats people opinions of some of the newalternative brands of tyres coming out?

i notice Continental are starting to market themselves hard in the various bike magazines with the below 3 seem to be the tyrs Oz is getting , be interesting to see how - havent seen any prices yet , but if they try to market themselves as a prestige brand with $$$ accordingly might have trouble selling a expensive unknown brand except to bimmer and porsche drivers???

Continental Motorcycle Tyresآ -ContiRaceAttack

Continental Motorcycle Tyresآ -ContiSportAttack

Continental Motorcycle Tyresآ -ContiRoadAttack

maxxis seem to be doing likewise with their
    Maxxis.com
    but having seen some price they arent all that much cheaper then say b/stone, michelin, dunlop...so might be hard selling ???

but also seem pretty big with their motard range
    Maxxis.com

avon still seem to be plugging away with sport and sport touring options , tho from memory they always seemedto be a bit expensive ???
    Avon Tyres Ltd - tyres .

Avon Tyres Ltd - tyres .

Avons very much depended on the current exchange rate they are a pretty good thing IMO perhaps the not the ultimate in grip but heaps of feel and unbeatble wet performance the prices have come down a bit since a couple of years ago when the aust dollar was around 30 p. Athough you would kind of expect the english to do a good wet weather tyre. Most of the motard guys started with Maxxis and have moved on since. I've still got a new set of street legal intermediates ([email protected]#$ knowes how that works) havn't got around to using them. I think the general consensuse they aren't bad for the price but if you want to run with the fast guys you need something different. Contiental have a excellent reputation in truck and high performance car tyres. Havn't hear much about them lately.
    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

I picked up a set of Avon Storm ST (Sport Touring) tyres for the VFR and was very pleased with them, if only for their apparent knack of picking up nails.
      I paid $500 for a set fitted at Pal and Panther which was on par with other sets of tyres in terms of pricing.

Still have some life in the 020's on the new bike, so have time to think about whether or not I'll put the Storms or the Pilot Road2's on next.

Comment

Ask Maya about the Continentals, she has a set on her R1. Softer than the Queen's farts and sticker than Micheal Jackson after a Hi5 concert.
        Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Didn't the Continentals (namely the SportAttack range) get a bad review during the last Masterbike comparo?

Apparently they wear pretty hard, and don't stick as well as the compound structure would suggest.

I wouldn't know personally, just going off what I read.
          A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

Dear god, it's some weird bastardized three wheeled two person go-kart.

Comment

Anything, excepting maybe battleaxe, has to be better than pilot roads.
            In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
            Its the little things that make the difference
            Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
            If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

i've got Avon's on the Viffer and they're really good for traction, especially in the wet and also when cold.

Comment

Anyone on here ever ridden a tyre to destruction? And by that I dont mean ride it until the canvas is showing, but actually ridden it to the point that the compound has failed?

The last few sets of Pilot powers (which are great tyres BTW) that I have had, I have managed to cook, to the point that they were leaving black lines accelerating out of corners and also in a straight line. (ask Hornet or Rich) In effect the tyre was ruined even though it still had over 50% tread remaining. Have just now managed to do the same to a set of Pirelli Corsa III.

With any tyre you must look very closely at the type of riding you are doing... track work or hard road riding will require a performance tyre... heapsa grip, not much life though. Commute into work or do long distance country cruises, the need for a race bred tyre is somewhat deminished.

The race spec contis are effectively race tyres with enough grooves to make them barely passable as road legal tyres... do not expect them to last long... ditto my current Corsas, The powers could manage heaps more mileage.. if they weren't cooked.
                Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

sounds like user error... stop riding road tyres like they are slicks

thankfully the combination of 1) i only ride a 600 and 2) i am not as super awesome as Mr TurboR1 I have never come unstuck on Plain Jane pilot powers...

Comment

Continental Race Attack

I put my comments on Continental Race Attack tyres here:

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...88/#post620212
                    http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...88/#post622836

More recently, my tyres have gone past the 4,000 km mark with 4 track days, 2 Curry Runs and the rest in highway riding and I must say that for such a soft tyre, they are doing remarkably better than I had thought!

If anyone wants to see them for real, find me on the R1 and have a look!

They suit my riding style and my suspension setup and they grip extremely well. Can't vouch for them in the wet as I only got them in August and I tend to keep out of the rain. That, and they're a semi-slick anyway [see photo]

In summary, I purchased a set of Continental Race Attack (road version) front (120) and rear (190) for my R1 for $552 delivered from QLD as noone in Perth even knew what the hell they were.

As far as I know, I'm *still* the only person in WA with these, and was the 11th person in Australia to have them, short of anyone importing them alone!

I'm looking forward to seeing someone stock these in Perth. If anyone sees Race Attacks in the shops, please let me know!

Comment

whats wrong with the compound in the bridgestone battalax tyres ?
                      Come and see us in the 2011 Avon Descent - we're racing boat #234 !

Comment

Poor wear and poor grip.

A mate had them on his gixxer 6 and they lasted only a few thousand ks. He's more docile on a bike than alot of 250 riders. I took it for a run and didnt feel confident at all.
                        In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                        Its the little things that make the difference
                        Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                        If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

I've got bt014's on mine - and they're wearing well, warm up nicely and i've even managed to get marbling..

Got a new set of 015's waiting to try out in the shed..

I have no confidence issues with them on my 900, and i ride daily.. all weather..

meh ^_^

( had them since i bought the bike, aparently were reasonably new - have done about 5,000 highway k's in the last 6 months.. a few burnouts, and lots of heavy handed wrist action from any set of lights i can find.. in other words, i flog the crap out of them.. )

Comment

Nothing wrong with the Bridgestone 020's for commuting or free-flowing touring
                            I have little confidence in them for a very hard ride though, and the tread pattern on the front looks ugly.

Comment

you're watching the tread pattern when you're riding ? LOL !

Agreed tho, i wouldnt trust them to be doing full lean corners.. but they're fine for my freeway antics.. ^_^

Comment

Working...
                              X