K&N Air Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K&N Air Filters

Hey all, just wondering if anyone has installed one of these (or another brand for that matter) and did it make much of a difference?
    Thanks
    Anthony

I was gunna say try search but the three letter limit is a bitch...

I have a BMC in the viffer. Did make an immediate difference in fuel consumption, and a slight difference in engine response in the low rev range. No apparent difference in the meat of the torque or power bands tho. I run fully stock otherwise. Perhaps if all three mods were done (pipes, K&N, and Power Commander) you may see greater benefits.

Comment

I stuck one in the XJ....can't say I really noticed any change performance wise.....but then again, ....let's not go there.

The main reason was money. Saves buying a disposable air filter every few thousand kms.
      The price of the K & N was less than the price of 4 standard air filters.

Comment

I think the main advantage is being able to clean them. I do interim services on the bike between the scheduled ones, clean the K&N, change engine oil, etc. It's surprising how much crap can end up in your filter. A $20 recharge kit gives you heaps of cleans. Other than that I couldn't notice any difference.
        -JC-

Comment

I think you will find the only advantage is the re-usability of the filter...

If there is a performance gain it would be minimal..

Comment

They're supposed to be less restrictive and give a better 'flow' from blurb I've read about K&N.
            2006 Yamaha R1SP;
            In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
            Amen, brother. Amen.
            My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

I have a DNA filter... no idea if it's any better, but it seems to do the job... supposed to flow better than any of the other brands
              When we are born we are naked, wet, hungry and we get smacked on our arse. From there on, life gets worse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Blog: http://gytrr1.spaces.msn.com/

Comment

There comes a point were it can flow as freely as it wants. But then the flow of the inlet tract/ valve stops any benefit.

They say they flow better..but is that a bench test?

Comment

I've noticed zero difference since fitting mine - again, it's the clean+re-use that's the beauty.
                  "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

A little crispier throttle response & reduced fuel consumption since i fitted mine. A little bottom end improvement but nothing huge in the power department.
                    In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                    Its the little things that make the difference
                    Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                    If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

I fitted K&N filter to a 2litre Capri I owned in UK a few years ago.
                      Found a slight performance increase, slight fuel usage increase. Nice induction sound though.
                      Tried to have a K&N fitted to the 'Ace but it failed to arrive in time to be fitted in its last service.

Comment

Yeah I thought as much, thanks all for the responses

Comment

For what its worth, I have K&N air filters in both my CBR400 and my R1.

There was no difference in the R1, however the 400 did "breathe" better. I had less problems starting it in colder weather, and it had more "go" in the top end.

Comment

Have one on the cage. The big thing with K&N from what I've seen is that when dirty they flow almost as well as when clean. They're also cleanable/re-usable.

However, on bikes, I understand that these days the OEM filter is pretty damn good.

I mean really... if you were honda/yamaha/etc selling bikes in the hyper-competitive sports bike market, and were looking for an easy 3 extra horses... and discovered that the air filter was a massive restriction, you'd do something about it right? Especially if you could sell the more expensive filter over and over again every time the bike is serviced?
                            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I replaced my air box on my GSXR1100 street fighter with K&N Pods with the inclusion of a Stage 3 Dynojet kit through Carbies.... Yeah... sucks fuel.... but what an awesome midrange....

J
                              Handled by one.... Feared by all

Comment

Working...
                              X