Modifications & the law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifications & the law

After getting a yellow sticker yesterday for my fender elim and after listening to both the Police and the DPI examiner rattle off different requirements with no knowledge of what laws are applicable, I think its about time a reference post was created that deals with all the normal mods we do. So, here I go:

Exhaust:

The Law
    Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Rules 2002
    Section 144. Stationary noise levels — car-type vehicles and motor bikes
    and motor trikes
    (2) The stationary noise level of a car-type vehicle or motor bike or
    motor trike, must not exceed —
    (a) for a car-type vehicle built after 1982 — 90 dB(A);
    (b) for another car-type vehicle — 96 dB(A);
    (c) for a motor bike or motor trike built after February
    1985 — 94 dB(A); or

(d) for another motor bike or motor trike — 100 dB(A).

Testing
    Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 83/00 – External Noise) 2005
    5.2.5A The test site shall take the form of an open space of 50m radius having a central part of at least 10m radius which is practically level, consisting of concrete, asphalt or similar material and not covered with powdery snow, tall grass, loose soil, ashes or the like. The test site surface shall be dry and such as not to cause excessive tyre noise. Whilst the test is in progress no person shall stand in the measurement area, except the observer and the rider. Their presence must have no influence on the meter reading.

Rear Fender

The Law
    Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Rules 2002

Number Plate Lights
    Section 84
    (1) At least one number plate light must be fitted to the rear of a vehicle.
    (2) When on, the number plate light or lights must illuminate a number plate on the rear of the vehicle with white light, so the characters on the number plate can be read at night-time 20m from the rear of the vehicle.
    (3) A number plate light —
    (a) may be combined with another light;
    (b) must not project white light to the rear of the vehicle except by reflection;
    (c) must not obscure the characters on the number plate; and
    (d) must be wired to come on, and stay on, when a parking light, headlight or tail light fitted to the vehicle is on.

Mudguards and spray suppression
    Section 27
    (1) A vehicle must have firmly fitted a mudguard for each wheel or for adjacent wheels.
    (2) However, subrule (1) does not apply to a vehicle if —
    (a) the construction or use of the vehicle makes the fitting of mudguards unnecessary or impracticable; or
    (b) the body or part of the body of the vehicle acts as a mudguard.

Rear reflectors
    Section 103
    (1) A motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels and a trailer must have a rear-facing red reflector towards each side of its rear.
    (2) A motor bike, a sidecar attached to a motor bike, and a motor trike, must have a rear-facing red reflector.
    (3) The centre of each reflector must be —
    (a) at the same height above ground level; and
    (b) not over 1.5 m above ground level.
    (4) However, subrule (3) does not apply to a reflector fitted to a sidecar attached to a motor bike.

Road Traffic (Licensing) Regulations 1975
    Number Plates
    Section 25
    Number plate to be fixed on vehicle
    (1) A responsible person for, or a person in charge of, a vehicle shall rigidly fix and keep the identification tablet or number plates of the vehicle thereon so that —
    (a) in the case of a motor cycle or a trailer or jinker as defined in the Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Regulations 2002, the identification tablet or number plate is fixed and kept in a conspicuous place on the back of the vehicle, in an upright position and so that the characters thereon are clearly visible and legible, by day and by night.

What it means
    Well, I think it is open to interpretation but IMHO, if the plate is easy to find (ie. in a conspicuous place) and is legible from up to 20m away day or night, it is legal.

please don't whore out this thread!

Last edited by seandre; 02-01-2008, 11:14 AM.
    my pics

did you get rid of the aforementioned yellow?
    "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

Links to above-mentioned rules/regulations:

ROAD TRAFFIC (VEHICLE STANDARDS) RULES 2002

ROAD TRAFFIC (LICENSING) REGULATIONS 1975

ROAD TRAFFIC (VEHICLE STANDARDS) REGULATIONS 2002

Comment

Originally posted by chief wiggum View Post
        did you get rid of the aforementioned yellow?
        yeah, just put the bike back to stock and took it over the pits this morning. Only took about 15 mins and $58.10 to get it removed.
        my pics

Comment

Dont forget even the tiniest modification...
          are those shiny pazzo levers standard?
          do the comply with strength testing regulations?
          what other parts do you have on your bike sonny?
          have you completed the modification form and got it signed off?

here.. todays sticker colour is... YELLOW!
          Real Men Ride Nakid
          http://www.streetfighters.com.au

Comment

I'm not sure about your interpretation of the stationary-noise level measurement technique.

I don't read that as the measurement occuring at a distance of 10m, rather that the surrounding 10m radius should be concreted, asphalted or similar.

ROAD TRAFFIC (VEHICLE STANDARDS) RULES 2002 - REG 147
            Measurement of stationary noise levels

147 . Measurement of stationary noise levels

For this Division, the stationary noise level of a motor vehicle is to be measured in accordance with the test method mentioned in the Roadworthiness Guidelines that are approved by the Ministerial Council for Road Transport established by the Heavy Vehicles Agreement, a copy of which is set out in Schedule 1 to the National Road Transport Commission Act 1991 of the Commonwealth, and current at the commencement of this rule.

Comment

Originally posted by mark_rattigan View Post
              I'm not sure about your interpretation of the stationary-noise level measurement technique.

I don't read that as the measurement occuring at a distance of 10m, rather that the surrounding 10m radius should be concreted, asphalted or similar.
              I think you are right. I have edited my post.
              my pics

Comment

I'm at the point a getting a Modification permit for my levers, rearsets, steering damper and case covers due to the aforementioned by BillyWizz.

Got a Yellow, went over the pits, got the yellow extended to get a Modification Permit for any non-original part that was on the bike. Will see how much gets the "don't waste our time" stamp and post up here as well.
                Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

FYI - my bike passed the pits with a dark tint Puig screen and HEL braided lines fitted.
                  my pics

Comment

Different inspectors, different centres, different things noticed, questioned etc. I'm not happy about it, but if it means I don't need to be bothered in the future or get additional stickers, I'd rather spend the time now.
                    Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

Basicaly when it comes down to it. Cops on a power trip will give you a yellow if they want to. Its their way of fucking with you when the cant find something to fine you for.

You could carry the Act around with you, but they wont care and will still Yellow you for something.

Its a pity you cant take un-warranted yellows to court to recover the costs.

But remember its not about revenue, its about your safety. I'm sure after your yellow you feel so much safer.

When the Police become the people that punish instead of enforce you are on the start of a slipperly slope.
                      You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

lets get modding roll on winter :-)

Forms and publications

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/...rm_prodveh.pdf
                        Real Men Ride Nakid
                        http://www.streetfighters.com.au

Comment

(c) for a motor bike or motor trike built after February
                          1985 — 94 dB(A); or
                          Am i to assume that the legal limit for post 1985 is supposedly 94db?

My 07 600rr has a noise-test sticker for 98db (@6850rpm, lol)...?

As to HEL lines, I believe they are ADR compliant, and hence legal replacement equipment?

edit:
                          What cbr1k said. I've been stickered on the cage, taken it over the pits and gotten the sticker off by doing nothing to it.

Any "modification" that you don't have a permit for is fair game really, it's bullshit. But then again, yellows are generally an attitude adjustmenet sticker more than anything else.
                          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

What's the go with the 45 degree rule for the rear mudguard?

I also like the "How to pass your test" pdf on that forms and publications site BillyWhizz

Comment

I thought a stock '07 GSX-R750 puts out 109DB from the factory? I'm pretty sure mine is stamped at 98DB. I'll check it when I leave work.
                              Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X