Replacement Rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Rotors

I need a new discs/set of discs for the front of the Bird as one is warped or bent and causing pulsing when hard on brakes.

I'm fairly limited as far as funds go, so I've narrowed it down to two:
    EBC Pro-Lite ($189US each)
    or
    ChainGang Discs ($240AUD using existing carriers)

The EBC rotors are low-carbon steel with the 'bird swing' drilled pattern, whilst the ChainGang ones use a carbon wear plate and have a slotted pattern.

I don't race, so the choice isn't *that* important, but I'd like to know the differences between the two are, particularly for an alll weather rider who doesn't want his discs potentially rusting away (in contrast with stainless steel ones on there now).

I have low carbon steel disks on the Guzzi for around 90 000kms they are probablly worn out but rusting away not likely. They will go rusty after a couple of weeks in winter with no use its only really cast iron you look at the wrong way and they go but I know plenty of older high milage bikes with those with no drama's they stop better to boot. Chain gang claim that there solid/ slotted rotors are better at stopping and the only real reason disks are drilled is to reduce the unsprungs on a race bike + fashion. Looking at pics of the suzuki GP bike its carbon rotors aren't drilled so maybe there is some credit to that claim. I'll keep and eye on this thread I was kinda looking at chain gang disks. The thing that makes me a little hesitant is recycling of carriers.
    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Have you tried Planet discs over east? i got a set through them years ago, good quality gear at a good price. No idea what they are charging now, nor there contacts details, have a look through some of the bike mags, they have been advertising lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean'o View Post
        Have you tried Planet discs over east? i got a set through them years ago, good quality gear at a good price. No idea what they are charging now, nor there contacts details, have a look through some of the bike mags, they have been advertising lately.
        Did they replace the whole thing or use the old carriers? Any comments thoughts on this, wonder if they do cast iron (i'll rim em and find that out) now trolling through old motorcycle mags.
        Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Looky found Planet Discs factory 4/6 woodbine crt wantirna sth vic 3132
          Tel 03 9801 7067
          Awesome Discs Factory 13 13 Molan st Ringwood 3134 Tel 03 9879 7755
          Neither have internerd sites it seems.

If anyone has any comments / previous experinces would be helpful

Comment

I know China are making discs now and they are good, I can find out a price if you wish. I know a racer who uses them on his bike because he doesn't want to wear out the original ones as they are quite rare.
            Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Jules_1972 has the EBC's on the Duc, they work great but dunno about longevity.

Most of wot I've read about brakes mentions the gas that comes off the pads as they heat & wear, the slots/holes gives it somewhere to go; the slots & holes also give leading edges to improve bite. The general consensus is to get both drilled & slotted (but not drilled alway through). The reduced unsprung weight does help too.
              .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

ive got the EBC prolites on my old blade
                have done about 20,000 and cant fault them.

where abouts are you getting them from jon?
                Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

KneeDraggers.com has them for $189US + $25US shipping. Works out $450-$500 depending on exchange rate and C/C fees.

If anyone wants to bundle an order together, let me know. Just need to keep it under $1000.

Comment

Discs

Check www.superbikesupply.com.au for a deal on Galfers if he has them in stock.
                    RR VRT #100
                    Sponsors Wanted.
                    Thanks to www.superbikesupply.com.au and ProFlow for assistance.
                    A 1K throttle is like a hot blond, you really want to hit it but you are afraid of the consequences :black eye:

Comment

I've already emailed Tim, and he can't help with anything in my price range.

I understand that he needs to make a profit, but I also have a budget.
                      Always thought the free trade agreement would bring down the cost of most US imports, but doesn't seem to be working the way I thought it was meant to.

Comment

Is it me, or do ALL your bikes seem to need constant attention, like a worn out clap ridden old whore would?

Comment

28 year old Kwakka: Check.
                          5 year old VFR with Honda electrics: Check.
                          10 year old Honda, bought cheap know it needed some work: Check.

I fail to see your point Desmo, maintenance comes with the territory of older, used bikes, particularly those ridden year-round.
                          Apparently Honda are shit at electrics too.
                          Last edited by Jonchilds; 04-01-2008, 10:43 AM. Reason: splelling

Comment

Might be worth having a chat with Metal Gear in Brisbane. Welcome to METAL GEAR they make some decent discs.

Comment

Working...
                            X