Charge you barstard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charge you barstard

Why must the love of my life keep breaking my fuckin heart.

Long story short,she wouldnt start,I geta jump start an go home and charge the battery at 5 amps for about 5 hours.I test it buy starting and stoping and riding and such. All seemed good as it started the next day. Take it out for a fair old ride and the battery gets that flat it stalls.

Brand new battery in it today, take it about the same distance as last time and I noticed the head light get dim,waited for the poxy (somthings wrong) light to come on then shit myself when it did still 10 km from home.

Stalled in the driveway, lucky for me.

So obviously its not getting charge from the thingy thats not called an altinator!?! or somthing along those lines.

Is this a multi-meter job,or a auto sparky job?

So glad the rgv has'nt sold,out of that and the gixx the 2 stroke has been the reliable one.
    "YOU CAN TEACH A FAST RIDER TO STOP CRASHING,BUT YOU CANT TEACH A SLOW RIDER TOO RIDE FAST." Mick Doohan

A few things to check which you can do with a multi meter.
    If you search this forum for 'battery' you should come up with
    a multitude of things to try. Check the output from the stator
    and the regulator/rectifier (which I suspect is the problem).
    Spiral out, keep going...

Comment

Originally posted by stone View Post

So obviously its not getting charge from the thingy thats not called an altinator!?! or somthing along those lines.
      In my xspurt opinion it probably is that thing thats not an altinator, but it could be something else to
      National pride should not be a crime!.

Comment

Since it isn't a honda, the regulator/rectifier will more than likely be ok (not picking on Honda's this time but this is their major fault), but they do suffer from hot joints and need to be checked. You should have about 14.2vdc when running at the battery.
        Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

I know how you feel my old gpz used to break down more times than not
          Dont have that problem now
          LIVE TO RIDE AND RIDE TO LIVE
          LET THOSE WHO RIDE DECIDE

'Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
          shouting 'FUCK YEAH ...WHAT A RIDE!'

REGRET NOTHING YOUVE DONE

Comment

Cheers guy's,let the gremlin hunt begin.......
            "YOU CAN TEACH A FAST RIDER TO STOP CRASHING,BUT YOU CANT TEACH A SLOW RIDER TOO RIDE FAST." Mick Doohan

Comment

Athough when you drag the muti meter out epending on the bike at lot don't charge at idle. You should see the charging system kick in around 1300 rpm on a twin fours around 1 K I guess anyway just above idle. The voltage should then build up to 14.2-14.6 volts try loading the system up buy turning the headlights etc on it should maintan the voltage.

Things to check a lot of voltage regulators use the case as earth make sure the case has good contact with the frame and the bolts aren't covered in corrosion. Main earth lead where it connects tot he frame has a good metal to metal contact. Battery terminals are tight and if you can work out which is the main charge wire thats got a good connection tot he battery, often these are run to the starter motor/ start relay. When messing wit the positive terminals make sure you disconnet the earth to prevent arc welding.
              Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Go here: Motorcycle Electrical Parts (ElectroSport Industries)

Download the diagnostic chart and run through that.
                Battery has to be charged properly before starting...
                "No machine has a soul until a man shares his own with it."

Comment

i got a proper 900ma battery charger for bikes you can borrow if ya want.

I'm in Leeming
                  Wes

Comment

The fault finding chart that Mockery linked to is your best bet for initial investigation. It's very thorough and tells you exactly what to do.

Originally posted by arwon View Post
                    Since it isn't a honda, the regulator/rectifier will more than likely be ok (not picking on Honda's this time but this is their major fault)
                    I've never had an R/R problem on a Honda.

Comment

Why must the love of my life keep breaking my fuckin heart.

Because if it has wheels or TITS it's gunna give you trouble!! It's just how it is and you can't change it
                      RR VRT #100
                      Sponsors Wanted.
                      Thanks to www.superbikesupply.com.au and ProFlow for assistance.
                      A 1K throttle is like a hot blond, you really want to hit it but you are afraid of the consequences :black eye:

Comment

Falt finding chart down loaded ( cheers SD ), multimeter borrowed,got a charger,thanks anyway LikeFry, and the Jack n Coke is begining to flow.

Now I've just gotta find what/where the R/R looks like and lives.

oh yeh,cheers everyone

Comment

Long story short,she wouldnt start,I geta jump start an go home and charge the battery at 5 amps for about 5 hours.
                          Hey mate, thought most bike batteries are sealed lead acid. which you don't charge at 5amps coz you'll fry them. You got a swallow charger? set it for pb and around 1amp.
                          As for your alternator, ditto what the others have said about voltage.
                          Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

If it is a sealed battery then follow the charging instructions that will be written on it somewhere (usually about 1.5A for a few hours. Hitting it with a car battery charger that throws some 5A (i.e. most car battery chargers) is not a good idea.

Also look at getting a voltage meter mounted somewhere visible when you are riding, it should let you keep an eye on bikes charging system.

I have one of these mounted on my R1 atm:

Jaycar Electronics

"At the start of the season, you can’t win the championship in the first round, but you can lose it.” - Travis Pastrana

"If your mind can conceive it then
                            your hands can achieve it"- Nigel Petrie (Engineeredtoslide.com)

Comment

Major fucking problem,no charging at any revs,infact the longer you rev it the faster the cunt goes flat.

Im at the stage in the chart were Im required too disconnect the conector block too the stator too test the resistance,but its hard wired and the 4th and/or 5th wire that you test dont exist to the best of my investergation,so even if I unsolder the stator this doesnt prove anything.

Im not far from spitting it and tiping the thing over on the lawn too rip the stator cover off.

It would normally be enough too drive me to drink, but apparently my boss thinks it would be heeps funny if I had to stand on the corner and hock my arse for drinkin money this weekend.

If anyone want's me Ill be standing on the curb in a fuckin mini skirt

Comment

Working...
                              X