Chain brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain brands

I have an RK on at the moment (and previous one also) and have not been 100% thrilled with it.

I am looking to replace it soon.

The only other name I have really heard of is DID, who else makes an o-ring chain the preforms well over its whole life?
    222 Loctite doesn't taste too bad.

I used a Regina O-ring chain on my old drag bike and never had a problem with it. Looking at getting the same on the road bike as well.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Comment

Re: Chain brands

The only other name I have really heard of is DID, who else makes an o-ring chain the preforms well over its whole life?
      R1's come with DID's... I can attest that they are pretty damn good chains. 15,000kms of VERY hard work and its still got MILES to go on the stretch factor.

I'm not sure about other chains tho, maybe pop down to the local bike shops and see whats available.
      If you can... you MUST!

Comment

If your gunna replace your chain do the sprockets as well . MDH tuning have a special going for chain and sprocket kits . Cost me $350 for my kit the kit has a EK X ring chain and AFAM sprockets.

Comment

Rebecca I use Regina on my race bike and have had no dramas.

We also stock DID of which we sell plenty of without any complaints.

Comment

Re: Chain brands

I have an RK on at the moment (and previous one also) and have not been 100% thrilled with it.
            I am looking to replace it soon.
            i use RK o ring chains on both my racebikes and havent had a problem as yet.the 02 R1 did 3000km,s on the track and was still good as new.the 04 has done 2500km,s all up and doesnt seem to show any signs of wear and tear.
            from memory a chain should last you around 20-30000km,s correct me if im wrong :roll: this is obviously normal use not in the hands of a hooligan like those (perth extreme guys& gals)

Comment

I've got a DID racing and so far I've gotten 20,000 out of with most of that being some fairly hard riding a heavy bike.
              You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

Hmm, sounds like RK, DID, Regina are all ok. I figured if someone had a majorly bad chain brand the story would pop up, but none, good.

Might come down to price/sales pitch/what's in stock etc then.

Thanks Gents.

Comment

Question on chain types.

Is there any reason you guys (& bec) go with the "O-ring" as compared to other "longer-life" options, or are they not worth the extra dollars.

Looking at the RK chains: I got (was talked into) an XW-Ring for $270 over an O-ring for $220. Are they worth the extra? Or should I have just stuck with the basics?

This is the RK flyer if it makes it easy to get what I'm on about.

Original Poster
                  sigpic

Comment

Question on chain types.

Is there any reason you guys (& bec) go with the \"O-ring\" as compared to other \"longer-life\" options, or are they not worth the extra dollars.

Looking at the RK chains: I got (was talked into) an XW-Ring for $270 over an O-ring for $220. Are they worth the extra? Or should I have just stuck with the basics?

the chain i use is the RK GB520XSO which is the o ring type thats suppose to last the longest.i thought the standard chains are the roller types?it does say on the box that it suits up to 750cc max but i have always used this type of chain and so does all the racers who use the RK brand.

Comment

all i know if that they require less maintenance and sap more power from ya dirtbike
                      No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Apparently, If you have a low powered dirt bike or are a mad keen dirt biker the orings are not recommended, as they are heavier and you supposedly loose about 1/2 hp? They tend to go with non-ring lower capacity spec-ed chains, ie 250's run 125 spec-ed chains, but they replace them pretty offen.

O ring last longer, stretch less and seal the lub in better near the moving parts, x ring is the lastest greatest version of o ring, something about the seal is different, it is rated better for mud/dirt but not sure if it makes any difference on a hacks bike like mine on the road, x ring would be over kill for me I guess, O ring does fine, wouldn't dream of running non o ring, they look like shit all rusty and they can't preform like that!

(Puts spanner back in drawer )

Comment

Working...
                        X