RGV Ouch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RGV Ouch!

Hey Guys, Just after a little advice in regards to the RGV, I'm pretty sure i dropped a powervalve last night and lost a cylinder (Nice rattle then dead
    ), She still runs but just on one cyl.

So my questions are this, Where's the best place for parts, that would carry items like powervavles and pistons for the old RGVs?

Anyone been through this before and fixed it themselves? I Have no fears of stripping it down and getting dirty but if there's anything that could make my life easier please speak up.

Thanks for your help.
    My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
    Motorcycle Panel & Paint
    Q-Zar Fremantle
    Rated-R Parts
    PerthStreetBikes.com and it's generous members
    Carlisle Printing - Deals for PSB members
    CIC - Competition & Industrial Coatings
    Carpet Liquidators - Midland

Dont think they should be too hard to find.

I heard you can put in rings from an aprillia rs250. Perhaps some of the other stuff will fit too.

Little reminder - If you hunting valves try and find the ones from one of the two last productions ( 95 world wide 96 released only in Japan?) My RGV history is a little rusty :oops: In the closing years they did some upgrades to the power valves to reduce the incedence of power valve faliure.

Your poor baby :cry:

Comment

Dont think they should be too hard to find.

Little reminder - If you hunting valves try and find the ones from one of the two last productions ( 95 world wide 96 released only in Japan?) My RGV history is a little rusty  :oops:  In the closing years they did some upgrades to the power valves to reduce the incedence of power valve faliure.

Thanks for that, i knew you could get some modified valves to stop this from happening but it's good to know that there's some factory parts there in the later models.
      My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
      Motorcycle Panel & Paint
      Q-Zar Fremantle
      Rated-R Parts

Comment

Not been through this myself (fortunately) and am not too sure where you can get bits from.

At the moment, the only thing I can suggest is take a look at
        www.rgv250.co.uk
        and in particular
        http://www.rgv250.co.uk/powervalve.htm
        as it mentions after market power valve bits.

Hope it helps and you get back on the road soon!

Comment

Im actually at that site as we speak,

I'm planning to have it back on the road by monday *crosses fingers*
          My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
          Motorcycle Panel & Paint
          Q-Zar Fremantle
          Rated-R Parts

Comment

Ok, Found the pistons, Pretty cheap at $99 bucks each with rings from savage,

Now for the powervalve? anyone got one to sell?
            My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
            Motorcycle Panel & Paint
            Q-Zar Fremantle
            Rated-R Parts

Comment

give mike a call at one on one motorcycles he had got a pretty good rep as a two stoke mech in perth he did a great job on my old rgv felt like a new bike as for parts from the RS250 as far as i know they are the same motor with minor differances
              good luck over the w/end

Comment

i'm a member of that forum too
                pm mrrgv from that forum. a while back he had a spare set of powervalves for sale (he has heaps of spares)
                No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

your gonna have to make sure you get all the metal fillings and broken parts out of the bottom end before you rebuild it.

Comment

Yeh im dreading that, I'm crossing my fingers the pistoned isnt holed and ive just got a mashed up powervavle pin, I guess i'll find out tomorrow.

Im still having no luck in finding a local set of powervavles

Also any reason why a piston from two wheel wreckers would cost 200 and one from savage would be 99? both are new.
                    My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
                    Motorcycle Panel & Paint
                    Q-Zar Fremantle
                    Rated-R Parts

Comment

cause two wheel wreckers charge like a wounded bull????

some of the prices on gear they have will make you an ebay addict for the rest of your life......

Comment

would never go back to two-wheels. all i ever got was disinterest, severely inflated prices and a bad attitude. on the phone and in person.

treating your potential customers like they are an inconvenience is a really bad way to run a business.

mrrgv on the rgv forum might be able to help you out. He's in melbourne, but I got a whole rgv rolling chassis from him (straight) for $700

nice bloke too.
                        No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Yeh i'll never go there again, I'll ask mrrgv if he can help me out.

Got it apart today, damage isnt too bad, one powervalve, one piston, one sparkplug. Combination of the owervalve hardly touching the piston and clutching it when it went has saved me a bit cash thank god.

One thing i am hoping someone maybe able to answer is, How the heck do i get the mashed p-valve out?
                          My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
                          Motorcycle Panel & Paint
                          Q-Zar Fremantle
                          Rated-R Parts

Comment

Been through this with my 1996 RGV about 18 Months ago.

I used genuine suzuki parts for every thing.

The powervalves fail because the pin through the middle of them flogs out or breaks due to carbon build up and allows the slider to contact the piston. Eventually there is enough contact for the piston to trap the valve and drag it into the barrel. To prevent it happening in future you will need to use a full synthetic oil and strip and clean them every 3-5000km.

If you can't get it out because it is deformed into the barrel you will need to carefully cut it away with a dremel (die grinder).

Check the other cylinder, if the valves have pollished tips or any movement on the middle slider they are cactus.

All up it cost me $1300 to rebuild both cylinders using new pistons ring etc and a set (4) of powervalves. The valves were $220 each from Witch cycles in Rockingham. I got 10% off cause I bought 4.

If someone can give me a link to a photo site i could post pictures later on of a good one and a stuffed one.

Comment

Bugger. Looks like those things take some work!

You can host piccy's at: www.photobucket.com
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X