Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting down a carbon fibre muffler

Hey PSB.

I'm looking to shorten my Akra muffler and wanted to know what tools are required to safely and cleanly cut it down to a better size? I figure while I'm in there I should repack it too, it shoots fire so I can't see the original packing being in good shape. Any real benefits to going with more expensive packing?

Better yet I'll happily pay beer if someone has the tools and expertise to do this job top to bottom with me. I'll do all the work, just need the tools, guidance and ear to chew about bikes.
    Originally posted by boeman
    Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

I mean fuck, im not a selfish cunt.
    Originally posted by Chuck Steak
    Well fuck off then. And wherever you decide to fuck off to, keep telling them Perth is a shithole - it may help minimise the number of fuckwits/arseholes (can’t decide which word is more appropriate ) that move here.

Cutting carbon fibre is easy enough with a grinder/drop saw make sure you don't breathe the dust. I've never really noticed any real world difference in packing brands. I'm happy enough to help you with the job but I can't do it until at least Monday

Comment

G’day Frenchie , I work in granite trade, I’d use a continuous rim diamond grinder blade, you can get them Bunnings, whist your cutting get a spray bottle with a fine mist with a wee bit of detergent in it, this will keep the heat down an less dust .as always ppe is always a plus.
      be sure that the piece your working on is adequately secured .

Comment

Originally posted by Water pig View Post
        Cutting carbon fibre is easy enough with a grinder/drop saw make sure you don't breathe the dust. I've never really noticed any real world difference in packing brands. I'm happy enough to help you with the job but I can't do it until at least Monday
        I appreciate the offer! it wouldn't be for a few weeks yet anyway, I have yet to even order packing, but I'll keep you in mind, cheers for the offer and advice!
        Well it wouldn't have been fair to have a beard, a hot young missus AND a nice bike, now would it?

Well fuck off then. And wherever you decide to fuck off to, keep telling them Perth is a shithole - it may help minimise the number of fuckwits/arseholes (can’t decide which word is more appropriate ) that move here.

Comment

Another thing is, especially thin carbon fibre is very brittle and being fibreous can split and delaminate from the cut if your rushed or heavy handed so make sure you cut it with a recommended disk or saw blade and do wear PPE. Old or weathered or badly laminated carbon fibre probably more so.
          I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

I have an unopened bag of packing I bought from Cullys a while ago - You're welcome to it if you want.

Comment

When I've dealt with material likely to splinter, I've used a good quality masking tape applied to the surface, place your cut mark through the centre of the tape

Comment

Originally posted by dwillia View Post
                I have an unopened bag of packing I bought from Cullys a while ago - You're welcome to it if you want.

When I've dealt with material likely to splinter, I've used a good quality masking tape applied to the surface, place your cut mark through the centre of the tape
                Honestly that'd be ace if you don't need it? happy to pay in cash/beer etc if you like.

And yeah I envisioned using masking tape too, and perhaps a spray bottle of soapy water or something to keep the dust and heat down during the cut.

Comment

I've cut carbon loads:
                  • masking tape on every cut, helps stop splintering
                  • wear a dust mask and if you keep it moist it will help keep the dust down too
                  • Long sleeve shirt/cover skin. The dust gets itchy.
                  • Easiest way on a budget is to get the $50 bunnings special Dremel and the cutting discs. Will make light work of it. You don't need a fancy blade, especially for a one off.
                  • When done, lightly sand the edges with a fine sandpaper, 400 or so. Tidies up the edges and helps prevent splinters
                  • Optional, run a light bead of resin around the cut edge to seal the cut, again, helps prevent splintering. Could probably use some 2 part epoxy araldite (clear) from bunnings.
                  Packing: it's all much of a muchness, when I was building and testing muffles using a CBR600 engine, we found that how hard/tight you packed attenuated each frequency differently. Our go to was stainless steel wool wrapping the perforated tube, then wrapping that in the glass and finally using some rockwool to help keep the heat away from the carbon.

Point of caution. If the packing isn't quite perfect and hot gas can blow directly onto the carbon, it will eventually burn.

Comment

Originally posted by frenchie View Post

Honestly that'd be ace if you don't need it? happy to pay in cash/beer etc if you like.

And yeah I envisioned using masking tape too, and perhaps a spray bottle of soapy water or something to keep the dust and heat down during the cut.
                    nope just swing past anytime this week and grab it

Comment

yeah use those ultra thin cut off blades - I have a stack if you want one when you pick up

Comment

Originally posted by frenchie View Post

How did you go? and nice to meet you - sorry I was the walking dead!

Comment

Originally posted by dwillia View Post

How did you go? and nice to meet you - sorry I was the walking dead!
                          No sweat mate this winter has been crazy in that regard. Many thanks again for your kind generosity!

So the plan is to attack it this weekend, so I'll be taking pictures along the way and should be all done by Monday to post some results and thoughts on it.

In an unrelated blunder I managed to slice the quickshifter cable that joins the pressure sensor in the shift rod to the body of the unit where you set the cut time, so that also gets a professional repair this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                          X