No announcement yet.

Heavy sludge in car engine - how to remove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean that each time the engine stops the inelet and exhaust will be in a different position. If an injector is leaking it might pool in the inlet manifold on top of the inlet valve, or run into the combustion chamber, or go straight through to the exhaust depending on cam/valve/piston position.

I have heard conflicting ideas about the effects of a leaking injector. Some say white smoke, some say black/grey. My experienced friend had his own occasion where a leaking injector cause ridiculous amounts of thick, white smoke on start up until the excess fuel burnt off. Motor then ran fine.

No compression check done (could only realistically do the front three) but I have no doubts about engine 'strength'. The motor has stonking good power and runs sweet as a nut, so I can't imagine that the manifold vacuum will show me anything either but if you can explain how it might help diagnose something I'll give it a crack. Can only pull the front three plugs with ease. If I check the back three then I will be doing the full ultrasonic injector clean anyway while I'm in there. Not sure what the plugs will show anyway if the injector only leaks while stopped, and only smokes intermittently?

Comment

Originally posted by Papajero View Post
      Kero was always an abrasive fluid as far as I knew. I have used it to 'lubricate' when honing brake cylinders, barrels. Diesel and oil much less aggressive.
      I'm hoping...
      Diesel is Kero with 3% lubricant added, JetA1 is Kero with 1% lubricant added. None of them have sufficient lubricating properties to run an engine.
      RR VRT #100
      Sponsors Wanted.
      Thanks to www.superbikesupply.com.au and ProFlow for assistance.
      A 1K throttle is like a hot blond, you really want to hit it but you are afraid of the consequences :black eye:

Comment

Originally posted by Papajero View Post
        No compression check done (could only realistically do the front three) but I have no doubts about engine 'strength'. The motor has stonking good power and runs sweet as a nut, so I can't imagine that the manifold vacuum will show me anything either but if you can explain how it might help diagnose something I'll give it a crack. Can only pull the front three plugs with ease. If I check the back three then I will be doing the full ultrasonic injector clean anyway while I'm in there. Not sure what the plugs will show anyway if the injector only leaks while stopped, and only smokes intermittently?
        Using vacum guage has the advantage of not having to remove spark plugs which on a transverse engine can be a PITA.

How a vacum guage can help? the below links do a good job of explaining.

https://m.roadkillcustoms.com/diagno...-vacuum-gauge/

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article...nostics&A=2393

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/U...nical-Problems

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/...gine-problems/

Comment

Originally posted by datsikk View Post
          How a vacum guage can help? the below links do a good job of explaining.
          datsikk, Your response came just as I had the inlet manifold off and the injectors out but it definitely would have helped diagnose the issue. Luckily I didnt lose anything by going the route I did, just stressed a bit more than necessary. And $120 to do the injectors which I probably didnt need to spend, but it eradicated a potential cause and has given a little bit of confidence going forward.

Injectors all tested fine. Rear rocker cover horrendously sludged. Diesel/oil mix had done nothing to loosen this. Cleaned it completely using a paint brush in a tub of straight diesel. Washed in hot soapy water after.
          Inlet manifold FULL of oil. Probably 20-50ml coated all surfaces and ran out as I stood it up to drain. Pulled off the PCV valve and it was clear but a little sticky. Cleaned it up to be free and 'loose'. Vacuum gauge would have picked this up easily after looking at the links datsikkk sent.
          All plugs were quite bad with hard, ashy deposits. 100 tanks of BP ultimate would probably never have cleaned them. New ones in now. Looks like its been slowly burning a bit of oil for quite some time.

So while parked up for a short time didnt allow enough time for the oil to run down into the cylinders, when left for an hour or so it did. Doesnt explain why there wasn't any blue to the smoke, and why the smoke smelled sweet? Whatevs, it's not smoking at all at the moment. Not about to bet the farm, but it's looking pretty promising.

Thanks to all for help. Tried to put some photos of the sludge but Im not 'authorised'

Comment

Working...
          X