Rebuilding the front suspension on my GSXR 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding the front suspension on my GSXR 750

I have to rebuild the front suspension on my 09 GSXR 750 with 75K on the clock i was surprised they started leaking i only replaced the rectifer and stator a couple of weeks ago.

I have only had this bike for a couple of years and the 40K i have put on the bike have been very enjoyable a great bike.

I bought this stand from JLS the other day who sometimes do work for us and we have bought a bike from them.

Attached Files

you know there was a recall on 08 and 09 GSXR 750's for the regulator / rectifier, yes? you probably could have had it replaced by Suzuki Aust under the recall. i dont think theres an expiration on factory recalls only if your bike serial number has been done or not theres probably a sticker on the frame somewhere indicating the recalls been done. probably near the vin.

im not overly surprised the fork seals may need to be done at 75k it only takes random dirt or crap lodging on the stanchion or debris impact during riding to damage one, i think its a proportional risk of the amount bikes are being ridden, unless of course your the wheelie king not sure if theres anything you can do about that. i inspect and maintain my fork stanchions, check seals regular like specially after a country excursion
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Originally posted by Heretic View Post
      you know there was a recall on 08 and 09 GSXR 750's for the regulator / rectifier, yes? you probably could have had it replaced by Suzuki Aust under the recall. i dont think theres an expiration on factory recalls only if your bike serial number has been done or not theres probably a sticker on the frame somewhere indicating the recalls been done. probably near the vin.

im not overly surprised the fork seals may need to be done at 75k it only takes random dirt or crap lodging on the stanchion or debris impact during riding to damage one, i think its a proportional risk of the amount bikes are being ridden, unless of course your the wheelie king not sure if theres anything you can do about that. i inspect and maintain my fork stanchions, check seals regular like specially after a country excursion
      Hi Heretic thank you for the reply yes we were aware of the recall at least my son was when he bought it just over two years ago.

I am not sure if the rectifier is gone i haven't tested it but the stator had very little output.

They say the rectifier takes out the stator personally i don't agree but i sourced one from Suzuki in the US who sell factory recall units for a good price.

I tried to fit a Chinese stator while i waited for a genuine one but i would suggest people give them a wide berth they don't fit properly the bike is running well now i have put 40,000 kays on it in two years.

Good too hear from you and i hope this place becomes what it once was.

Jim

Comment

Fork seals leak easier on modern bikes because they have significantly less tension on the stanction to reduce the sticktion that ruins fork performance. Replacing the seals is cheap and easy and it gives you a good excuse to fully service the entire front (Forks head stem bearings ect) while it’s all apart

Comment

Originally posted by Water pig View Post
          Fork seals leak easier on modern bikes because they have significantly less tension on the stanction to reduce the sticktion that ruins fork performance. Replacing the seals is cheap and easy and it gives you a good excuse to fully service the entire front (Forks head stem bearings ect) while it’s all apart

I feel another reason may be gravity in the fact that once they start to weep being upside down doesn't help.

We used to ride older bikes for a long time with weeping seals, the surprise for me is the fact that stators go at 75,000 kays on modern sportsbikes according to Peter Stevens in Melbourne my 80's bikes did over 200,000 kays on the same stator.

I have two Gs1000s bikes back east one with at least 400,000 kays on it according to guy i bought it off with the original stator!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200914_095009.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	5244398

Comment

Working...
          X