Headlights not working.. where do I start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlights not working.. where do I start

Well my bike is almost all better after the little lowslide at the track :oops:
    I've re-assembled the thing and realised my headlights do not turn on.

I can't recall if they worked just after the crash but I am pretty sure they did :?: Anyways I checked the globes and they both appear to be fine, so I then checked the fuse for hi & lo beams and both were okay, so I used a multimeter to check if there was any current in the fuse box for either light setting and that came up with 0.00

I then checked the indicator current a and that came up with variable reading on the multimeter. Am I right to assume that whatever beam I am using shold come up with a positive constant reading in the fuse box? Say 1.5 for on and 0.00 for off?

Now I haven't studied the electrical schematics of it yet so I am unsure where i should be tracking this back to? I assume the fuse box would be naturally one of the fist areas the current travels in order to prevent damage so where could this problem be tracked back to?

Any pointers would be appreciated. Worst case scenario I'll swing by Vic at Motorcycle electrics and see what he says but it would be nice to learn something heh

Thanks for any pointers...
    EDIT: The only thing I am thinking is that I had to replace the left clip on and so take apart the left controls... Prehaps I damaged the switch/curcuit in there? The other controls work,.
    Will you insure me?!

i'd be looking at the switch and all connectors.
    there wont be power anywhere if the circuit is broken
    No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Sorry i cant add anything FraG... but I am curious about Vic at Motorcycle electrics... where does he operate? is he any good? im gunna need an electricians magical fingers soon too

Comment

gonna do a custom wiring harness CAD?
        thats one of the things on my list.
        not looking forward to it after examining the wiring diagram
        No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

stupid questions, but the fuse hasnt blown has it?
          and your battery isnt flat?

basically, if your globe isnt shining, there isnt going to be any current in any of the wires, including the fuse. (unless you have a short, in which case the fuse would have blown, and will keep on blowing when you put a new one in)

poke around the switch with a multimeter and see if u can get any readings.
          there should be 3 wires going to the switch (assuming u dont have a pass light) one of the wires should be black (ground). put 1 end of the multimeter on there, and check the other 2 wires. one of them should be 12V
          if you do get a reading then you have electricity in the wires, so its just a matter of a busted switch, or dodgy connection
          if u cant get any readings, then start tracing the wires back towards the battery

hope that helps

cheers
          Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

frag,check the relays on the [email protected]#$ked if i can rememeber where they are but you need to check them.im thinking there under the seat :roll: have you started the bike up?is the tilt switch connected?need more info :shock: to help you.did you pull the left switch apart?like completely?springs and ball bearing fell out?

Comment

CAD - Vic is the "tops". Seriously a nice guy and he knows his stuff. If any shop can't fix the electrics they send their bikes to Vic so he must know something heh.

frag,check the relays on the [email protected]#$ked if i can rememeber where they are but you need to check them.im thinking there under the seat :roll: have you started the bike up?is the tilt switch connected?need more info :shock: to help you.did you pull the left switch apart?like completely?springs and ball bearing fell out?
              I'll look up the service manual for relays. I assumed that the relay would be the same as the one for indicators so assumed that part was ok. I only took the switch apart to swap clip ons, so left springs etc intact. I looked at the switch quickly and it looked like its not something I could have damaged when I swapped the clip on. I'll get the multi on it tonight to check.

The bike is going ATM, i took it to work today just to make sure she is all sweet, and apart from the lights its all good. ...

HRMMM.. stop hold it wait a minute.. The only other thing is that could have something to do with it is the fact that I disconnected the rear break switch, The new rearsets I have have no break light attachment so I just disconnected it and wrapped it up. Perhaps thats whats stopping the circuit? Argh.

Thanks for the input peoples
              Will you insure me?!

Comment

HRMMM.. stop hold it wait a minute..  The only other thing is that could have something to do with it is the fact that I disconnected the rear break switch,  The new rearsets I have have no break light attachment so I just disconnected it and wrapped it up.  Perhaps thats whats stopping the circuit?  Argh.  
                it wont be the rear brake switch.it will most likely be a relay or plug left of or even plugged into the wrong harness,did you check this?i just had a look at a gsxr i have out the back and it doesnt look like there is anything that you could have done wrong :roll: check fuses and the relays.

Comment

i have no idea what the setup is on ur Gixxer but when Cbr lights stuff up its usually the switch's contacts or its melted

Comment

Working...
                  X