Breaking in a bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking in a bike

Went down to the shop today, and had numerous conversations previously ... I know they say don't buy the demo model because generally it's going to cause you shite from how they've been riding it at the shop ... no offence pete the ride was great!!

So if I get a brand newbie, I've been advised to avoid puttin any mods on it eg yoshimura exhaust until after the 1k/1500 mark

what's the general consensus out there ???
    I speak the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth

Hmmm, lots of theorys, but in all honesty, I've slapped them on right away and never had any hassles but peeps go by what they hear. I don't see why not, go for it.

Comment

im with Campo...ive never had a prob

Comment

Well I know this guy who wheelied his K3 GSXR1000 away from the shop. Brand new, zero km's wheelie away with no more to pay!!
        Thanks to my sponsors:

K-Tec Mobile Mechanics - 0415 746 665
        Tyres for Bikes - Vic Park

Comment

*coff*........ wasn me.

Run em in hard I say. I have seen pix of the blowback around the pistons on a bike that the owner had driven miss daisy with for the first thousand K's and it wasnt nice.

My opinion, general rule of thumb: Run them in hard, the bike produces more HP. Run em in easy, the bike will last longer.

If your only going to own the bike for 3 years or so, it wont be a problem for ya.

Re the pipe, as Campo and CAD said, wack em on right away it makes no diff.

The people who say you have to wait for a couple of thousand k's are the ones who are unable to afford to buy a pipe the same time they buy the bike.

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

SO not doing what this guy did up at Joondalup Yamaha ... brand new R1, didn't have his licence got hisfriend who did to go and pick it up got it 100m from the shop and ruined a very nice looking bike (pre 03 CBR600RR so I was allowed to look at it) ... looked great on 1 side though *shrug*

Comment

Hey MJ just for future reference you run in a bike !!! only horses and women are broken in !!!
              but run it in hard !! hey it's covered under warranty anyway !! just make sure you warm the bike up fully before riding it ! but this goes for new or old !!

Comment

Goes for CAD's mumma too Tex.

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

Hey MJ,
                  Interesting fact, 80% of engine wear is caused in the first 90 seconds of starting it, so i'm with the others warm it up and thrash it hard. If it's gunna break you want it to break straight away, or at least in the warranty period, oh also if it does break best to check it out yourself first before taking it to dealer for warranty as this gives you a chance to cover it up if it's your fault.
                  Slim.

Comment

Good idea slim

Comment

Hey MJ just for future reference you run in a bike !!! only horses and women are broken in !!!
                      but run it in hard !! hey it's covered under warranty anyway !! just make sure you warm the bike up fully before riding it ! but this goes for new or old !!
                      I thought women and bikes were one in the same

Comment

I agree.. break them in hard, ride them hard and they will love you for it.. both women and bikes
                        Right now Im having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think Ive forgotten this before.

Comment

now does that mean i should ride my missus down jharadale then crash her into a big black boy (the plant not an indigenous government worker), bounce her end over end till she falls apart then give her to pete from causeway honda?

I'm the noob you all pwn!

Comment

now does that mean i should ride my missus down jharadale then crash her into a big black boy (the plant not an indigenous government worker), bounce her end over end till she falls apart then give her to pete from causeway honda?

hehehe yeah....do that, Pete'll fix her up reeeeaaaaalllllll gooood!!!

Comment

[laughs]

Mayyyybe it does!
                              mmmmm sacrilicious

Comment

Working...
                              X