Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED indicator install fail. (help)

howdy gang.
    A while ago i bought a couple of pairs of 'shin yo' LED indicators. Yesterday i decided to put the front ones on. My bike is a 07 VTR 250.

Three things aren't right;
    1. Flash frequency is double its usual rate

2. When i put hazards on, only half the LED's illuminate

3. The bike wouldnt turn over thismorning. And that was on the second start of the day, 5 minutes after turning it off after a 3 minute ride.

The indicators came with in-line resistors, which, as far as i know are supposed to correct the flashing frequency.. It was a simple wiring job, unplugging and plugging back in, so ive rulled out incorrect wiring.

My thoughts:
    -The flash frequency may return to normal if i install the rear indicators (and their resistors)?
    -The hazard flash supply is halved because all 4 lights are being operated?
    -as for the battery going flat, i dont know. How can i have a leak in the circuit?

I will try plugging the rears in and see what happens. in the meantime; any help would be great.

thanks!
    I'm not insane, I'm just smarter than you!

you need a flash regulator for led
    steve (rated r parts) should be back from holidays today hit him up
    Originally posted by Lefty
    Wouldn't be like me to upset the herd.

Comment

right... ok.
      i just went out to try putting the rear ones on.
      turned the bike on before touching anything, hit indicators, one flash, and then nothing, no indicators, no nuteral light no nothing. have headlight still, bike starts still. what have i done? im gonna go take the fronts off and put the old ones back on.
      what have i distroyed?!?!?!

Comment

1st thing, chill re-check the wiring, sounds like a dodgey connection
        2 get a led flash regulator & install
        3 pick up da chicks with sweet indicators
        4 pimp da bitches out
        5 profit!
        Originally posted by Lefty
        Wouldn't be like me to upset the herd.

Comment

yeh, fried the fuse. the wiring was all good as far as i could see.. the only thing that can go wrong is wrong polarity, and i got that right. ill have to do some research about the flash regulators, cos the indicators are obviously drawing more then 10A even with the paralel resistors.
          thanks anyway.. bling = fail.... for now

Comment

hey man is the resistor round the right way? they can only go inline one way or wont work, you shouldnt need to buy more regulators. im an auto sparky so just ask me if in doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by fable_3000GT View Post
              hey man is the resistor round the right way? they can only go inline one way or wont work, you shouldnt need to buy more regulators. im an auto sparky so just ask me if in doubt.
              The resistor is merely a dummy load to correct the flash rate it has no polarity. Doesn't matter which way it goes round.

Comment

You sure you're not thinking about LED's? LED's only work one way around, resistors work both ways.

Comment

im assuming you're refering to whether the resistor is connected in series or parallel.

they are connected in parallel, as the indicator documentation told me to do.

the documentation said an incorrect flash frequency will be corrected by EITHER a flash regulator OR in-line resistors. it came with resistors, so i figured that would be enough... im pretty confident in wiring it all up correctly. i know what im looking at and how it all works.
                  what i dont understand is how the indicators drew enough current to blow my 10A indicator and instrument cluster fuse.?

Comment

go get an electronic flasher from super-cheap or the like. flash rate is un-affected. The resistors can get as hot as a regular globe.(not that they are powerd for very long so its not a huge issue)
                    IM ALWAYS ON THE EDGE, ITS ONLY THE SHARPNESS THAT VARYS

Comment

Originally posted by daytonadave View Post
                      im assuming you're refering to whether the resistor is connected in series or parallel.

they are connected in parallel, as the indicator documentation told me to do.

the documentation said an incorrect flash frequency will be corrected by EITHER a flash regulator OR in-line resistors. it came with resistors, so i figured that would be enough... im pretty confident in wiring it all up correctly. i know what im looking at and how it all works.
                      what i dont understand is how the indicators drew enough current to blow my 10A indicator and instrument cluster fuse.?
                      Do you know the wattage rating of the resistors, as others have said typically resistors don't have polarity. Do you have a mutimeter with a diode test function? if you have put it across the indicators make sure the resistor is disconnected you should get a reading of around .3-.7 volts (mostlikely closer to .7) if you get 0 change to resistance and test again where you should get open circuit, if you get a short circuit i would suggest you have got what you paid for with your "who flu do bling" LED indicators.
                      Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nero Diablo View Post
                        Do you know the wattage rating of the resistors, as others have said typically resistors don't have polarity. Do you have a mutimeter with a diode test function? if you have put it across the indicators make sure the resistor is disconnected you should get a reading of around .3-.7 volts (mostlikely closer to .7) if you get 0 change to resistance and test again where you should get open circuit, if you get a short circuit i would suggest you have got what you paid for with your "who flu do bling" LED indicators.
                        the resistors have 25W power rating. testing the resistance, they are about 26 Ohm.
                        if i test the indicators with my diode tester i get O/C. if i do same test with resistor connected i get S/C. and the screen comes up with a reading of about .013

i know the LED's need about .7V to turn on.

im pretty confused about this. when connected to the 12V supply, 26 Ohm resistors should draw about 450mA. yet i blew a 10A fuse. its hard to do all the right calculations without knowing how the circuit is set up, and what other loads there are.

anyway, is the general consensus that i need some kind of flash regulator aswell as the resistors????

Comment

Anything shorting out on the frame somewhere? Check the connections, make sure it isnt shorting out there, and maybe go back to the old ones :p Cheaper, only like $2/bulb.
                          Success is nothing more then taking advantage of an opportunity.

Comment

Please don't give electronics advice, or ever do any work on any vehicles. Ever.
                            Ta.

Comment

From another thread:
                              Originally posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
                              Take a 0-1K potentiometer, put in circuit, adjust till you get the right flash rate, measure resistance, buy 10W resistor of that value.

Job done
                              I think a "flash regulator" does the same job as a resistor...

Comment

Working...
                              X