Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap place to get a car resprayed

Hey guys

My car's clear coat has been flaking off for a while, I figured I'd just let it go and get a new coat sprayed over the top. BUT now the paint's starting to come off on one of the panels

Does anyone know where I can get a clear coat resprayed, and how much it will cost with and without prep work? Also, will a resprayer do a single panel?

Thanks,

Dave

there is a place on great eastern hyway that is really cheap pretty dam good to but he is a fair way out of the city at a place called stone house just past sawersvalley
    iF yOu CaNt RaCe It Or TaKe It To BeD tHeN iT aInT wOrTh HaViN!!!

Comment

Jeez that's a fair hike, but I guess if he's good & cheap it'll be worth it.

Is there anyone closer?

Comment

If you're in the area take it to Dianella Panel Beaters and Spraypainters. They painted my race bike for me, good blokes. Tell them Cameron put you onto them.

Comment

Thanks Cameron, I'll put them on my list.

Comment

if its got to the stage the clearcoat has started peeling then the panel cant just be re-cleared and your good to go. The panel needs to be sanded back, sealed with a primer then colour and clearcoat applied.
            I'm assuming its either roof, bonnet or bootlid that the clear coat has broken down as 99% of the time these panels r the ones that take the full force of the sun during the day. If its a mettallic colour then the adjacent panels will need to be blended into so colour matches. Altho this usually isnt the case with roofs.
            Very rough pricing youd be lookin at $400-$600 for bonnet or roof and about $300-$400 for bootlid. Of course these prices will change depending on colour and panels condition.
            B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

It's a gloss red, and just about every panel is affected. It's left out in the sun with a crappy tree to shade it. Thing is, it didn't start peeling until the rains kicked in, and the water's getting under the clear and lifting it off.

Also, the front left panel is showing signs of the actual paint beginning to come off, which is really depressing. It's not the kind of car that deserves such a shitty touch up, especially when everything else in such perfect condition.

I'm going to do the prep work myself, with help. I have no problems with taking it off the road for a couple of days so I can spend some time doing a good job. Will be even easier when I've got my bike license.

Comment

Dude, it is a bigger and more expensive job than you might think. It sounds to me like you are in need of a complete respray. I'm guessing it will take more than a couple of days (I've been doing my ute for 3yrs now, only 3 or 4 more to go)
                Try Daniel at Scratch & Match (in Bayswater I think)
                RR VRT #100
                Sponsors Wanted.
                Thanks to www.superbikesupply.com.au and ProFlow for assistance.
                A 1K throttle is like a hot blond, you really want to hit it but you are afraid of the consequences :black eye:

Comment

Robwas is right it is a big job. Also prepping its yourself with the intention of givin it to a spraypainter half done is not advisable.
                  First of all the products you use or ur method is gonna give you a 99.999% chance of voiding any future paint warrenty being recognised. If you give ur car to a panel shop and say "yep i've prepped it, spray it please heres a $1000 payment". Then next summer ur paint is fully cured and starts to lift/fade/crack/peel in the sun. Your gonna go back to the panel shop sayin ur paint is failing. they will just turn round say "nope its ur prep work, $3k to fix or good bye" where as if they do all the work and the paint still fails then u have a claim for them to fix it for free.
                  2nd painters hate when they are given a car started or prepped by sum1 else, its always more work and more of a head fuck for the painter to fix and end of the day if something does go wrong its usally the painted who gets blamed. So this may make it harder to find a shop that will take on ur car half done. Specially when you say it was done in ur backyard and i'm not sayin this to be an arse but you dont sound to clued up on the painting process.
                  Finally prepping a job urself isnt gonna save you much coin, if you can find a shop to take on the job you may save $600-800 of the quoted price. You then spend $500+ on materials u buy urself to do the prep work. not to mention ur own time and the extra time the car is off the rd, say ur 5 or 6 days to prep then another week or 2 at the paint shop. Thats if you can get it in a shop soon as u finish the prep work. Then you gotta think about what you have disassembled, if you have stripped bumpers, lighst and moulds of the shop will not refit these unless they charge for it. so that will be another weekend car is of the rd while you put it back together of course thats if nothing breaks or is misplaced while car is away.
                  Where as if u go straight to a shop u can drop it off, pick it up 2-2.5 weeks later all done and cleaned with warrenty.

Not tryin to crush ur hopes but its not a simple straight forward process and just tryin to make you aware of the reasons panels shops charge what they do.
                  B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll get some quotes and talk to the pros.

Comment

Carlisle TAFE? I think they do a spray painting course and use the publics cars. Would probably be a very average job but should be pretty darn cheap - if they still do it.

Comment

mate if the paint job is that bad...buy a compressor and kit and practice yourself......might learn a new skill

ps

what type of car is it
                        A site all parents should check regulary
                        http://www.mako.org.au/temp_a.html

(+)

Comment

Originally posted by randomman View Post
                          Carlisle TAFE? I think they do a spray painting course and use the publics cars. Would probably be a very average job but should be pretty darn cheap - if they still do it.
                          I'm not THAT much of a tightass. lol

Originally posted by Taz View Post
                          mate if the paint job is that bad...buy a compressor and kit and practice yourself......might learn a new skill

ps

what type of car is it
                          That's not a bad idea, but I'd prefer to just get it fixed than fuck about.

It's a 200SX.

Comment

Working...
                          X