Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05 ZX10R Rebuild

Hey all,

I'm getting in early to start getting ideas/understanding of what needs to be done/bought/costs.

I'm looking to probably rebuild my motor and gearbox in the next year.
    Although there is nothing major wrong with my engine currently, I'm of the opinion she's getting a little tired.
    Probably looking at beefing it out as well, maybe get some more HP running through it.

Anyone have any parts websites they can recommend?
    places to use etc?

possibly looking at doing some/most of the work myself or with mates when it happens.
    Any help/information would be appreciated.

Cheers!

I'm no expert, but step 1 should be a compression test, to see if the rings etc are still ok
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Already been done, comp is down.

Comment

ZX-10 Turbo Kit - This should beef it up a bit ^_^

Comment

High compression pistons from yoshimura,
          whatever piston rings they suggest,
          thinner head gasket,

get your valve springs checked for wear, if they're ok get them shimmed and
          if you can afford it a stage 1 cam

Comment

It will be an expensive project. Personally, I wouldn't have thought it was worth it unless the engine is pretty much rooted?

I suppose new cams, rings+resleeve and a thinner head gasket would be a good place to start for engine mods. You may even try Kawasaki, I'm not sure, but they might sells parts intended to convert stock thou's to superbike spec.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Comment

Ben - would love to slap a turbo on there haha

Cheers lee, will look into those pistons.

Ryder, the way I ride and the comp the engine has at the moment, I give it a year maybe 2 tops before it needs doing. hence I'm getting a jump, probably planning to try get this done next winter.
              Starting to plan early so I have an idea of costs/things to do etc.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
                High compression pistons from yoshimura,
                Yoshi only do GSXR parts dude.

Unless you're looking at dropping big dollars on it, I'd just stick with a full rebuild, done by someone with experience, not DIY. A motorbike engine really isn't an ideal first engine to rebuild. I reckon you should drop the fluids, take the engine out of the frame, give it a good clean, then drop it off to someone.

If it's bought back to original spec, you'll have heaps more power than you currently have. You could put a thinner head gasket in (clicky), but as soon as you look at high comp pistons and cams, you'll be up for a decent amount of coin just for the tuning side of things.

A rebuild (may only even need the top end done) and a dyno tune would be the best plan, IMO.
                FTP

Comment

ZX10
                  ZX ZONE

Comment

Also, Tim hates fun, so don't listen to him

Comment

Originally posted by Mirkz View Post
                      Hey all,

I'm getting in early to start getting ideas/understanding of what needs to be done/bought/costs.

I'm looking to probably rebuild my motor and gearbox in the next year.
                      Although there is nothing major wrong with my engine currently, I'm of the opinion she's getting a little tired.
                      Probably looking at beefing it out as well, maybe get some more HP running through it.

Anyone have any parts websites they can recommend?
                      places to use etc?

possibly looking at doing some/most of the work myself or with mates when it happens.
                      Any help/information would be appreciated.

Cheers!
                      mate I'd sell it, buy a new bike - rather than spending money on an ever depreciating, ever aging bike (that is, unless you really really love it)..

Let it come somebody elses problem, otherwise it'll just end up costing ya bigtime and you'll never see that money again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bendito View Post
                        Also, Tim hates fun, so don't listen to him
                        Everyone hates on the realist :mellow:
                        I'm sure I could come up with a pretty sweet list of shit for Mirkz to buy, and attempt to fit himself, and then swoop in when he's sick of it in 6 months and pick myself up a nice basket-case motor for a buggy, but he's too pretty to steer wrong like that
                        FTP

Comment

Cheers, I'm aware its a money pit and I'll never get the money back, however I don't see the point in selling a bike that I still thoroughly enjoy, when nothing else out there at the moment really jumps out and grabs my attention.
                          I'm just weighing up my options here at the moment.
                          I'd rather spend an extra few grand, keep the bike I got and that I'm happy with, than sell and pay another 5-15k ontop of selling price

Comment

Originally posted by Mirkz View Post
                            however I don't see the point in selling a bike that I still thoroughly enjoy, when nothing else out there at the moment really jumps out and grabs my attention.
                            It's true. I've seen him whispering sweet nothings into the exhaust at lunchtimes.

Comment

Kawasaki ZX9R / ZX10R Ninja Performance Parts

Just watch the shipping charges.

If you get carried away by the range of goodies on display your CC will haemorrhage.

They have a lot of stuff that is difficult to get elsewhere (at least in the ZX6 world).
                              .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

Working...
                              X