R1 issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1 issue

Just been doing it, open throttle in 2nd from about 8k and in 3rd/4th as soon as i hit 8k its like the clutch slips

Gearbox???
    Last edited by Halo_2; 12-08-2009, 06:21 PM.
    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Possibly.
    More likely the clutch.
    Does it slip or does it jump?

Comment

If the revs rise but the bike doesn't drive it's the clutch. If it skips/lurches while driving it's the box. This usually happens in matched gears such as 2nd & 5th.

Comment

Originally posted by customyzr View Post
        If the revs rise but the bike doesn't drive it's the clutch. If it skips/lurches while driving it's the box. This usually happens in matched gears such as 2nd & 5th.
        umm....for the sake of someone with extremely little knowledge, what do you mean by matched gears?

Comment

Originally posted by PBF View Post
          umm....for the sake of someone with extremely little knowledge, what do you mean by matched gears?
          I think its a typo he means mashed gears ie pharked. Opps scan reading fail no he doesn't mean that, not sure how to explain it without turning it into a epic. Maybe type motorcycle gearbox workings into google and see what happens.

For the OP when was the last time the clutch cable was adjusted?
          Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

More than likely clutch, your dropping back into the optimum torque range which will put extra pressure on the clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by Nero Diablo View Post
              Maybe type motorcycle gearbox workings into google and see what happens.
              Or try googling for "Constant mesh gearbox".

Comment

If the revs go up but the bike doesn't go anywhere your clutch is probably on the way out...if it's kinda lurching/bouncing then your box might have some issues.
                Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
                1985 - 2009

Comment

I would go with worn out clutch, Mine is worn out at the moment, When I open the throttle more than 50% from 6-7k-rpm from second gear onwards the revs shot up while the bike doesn't go any faster.

Basically like pulling the clutch and revving the bike, smooth. If it is gerky I would go with gearbox.

Comment

The symptoms you describe sound like the clutch, it slips as the torque starts to kick in. What I meant about the gears was that they are paired in the box: 1st & 4th, 2nd & 5th, 3rd & 6th. If there is damage to one gear, ie; 2nd (from clutched monos etc.), there is usually damage to 5th gear as well. Just a bit of extra info for ya but it's likely be the clutch. You can pick up a set of goodridge clutch plates for $130 on ebay AU at the moment and fitting them isn't that hard, give it a go. If you need a guide there are some good step by step ones with photos on R1forum.com

Comment

when you replace the clutch plates the important thing is the clutch pack thickness, download a manual and check the tolerances.
                      Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

uh I think mine is starting to go as well, it rides fine but I thought I'd go learn how to do 2nd clutch wheelies on a private road and when I let the clutch back out the rev's just hang really high and the bike squirms around then engages again, especially when I try to do them higher up in the rev range . Do you need any special tools to do a clutch? I'm off to ebay right now lol.

Hrm I had an idea, if 2nd gear is gone will it start to jump in other gears? like if I try to clutch it up hard in 3rd and if it doesnt slip it'd definitely be 2nd gear jumping in and out?
                        Last edited by kiknet; 16-08-2009, 06:19 PM.

Comment

kiknet. u say the bike "squirms", is is possible ur wheelspinin?
                          The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Can you get wheelspin when doing about 80-90 in a straight line? I could be underestimating the power of litre bikes lol, but yeah that's why I'm questioning whether it could be 2nd gear because the bike sorta jumps around abit violently.

Comment

mmm not really sure...wat u added to ur first post tho, yeh, higher gear 'should' generate more clutch slip if thats ur problem
                              The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                              X