Clutch won't disengage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch won't disengage

Well after having some fun tidying up some fuel leaks last night the clutch has decided that it won't disengage today. Starting in first involved the bike lurching forward...

The cable is fully adjusted, it can't be tightened any more.

Did you play around with the cable when working on the bike?
    when you move the lever, you can see the other end of the cable actuating the clutch?
    A worn out clutch will normally slip. Sounds like you will have a mechanical problem.
    Download a manual if you don't have one. The workings are straight forward.
    Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

I've got the manual. It's definitely not the cable, it's pulling the lever on the top of the clutch all the way. I'm thinking it's a spring or something that's broken inside the clutch.
      Last edited by BlackFZR; 14-08-2009, 01:18 PM.

Comment

If only there were experts you could pay to diagnose and fix problems you can't fix yourself...
        For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
        For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

The clutch is clamped together by springs. When you pull the clutch lever, you push against those springs until the clutch discs are no longer clamped and can slip.
          Is there spring tension when you pull the lever in?

Comment

2 things maybe

too much oil in gear box.....

if you took it for a run recently and then shut the bike quickly then the clutch can fuse a little. just go for a little ride and at about 20-30 kmh drop clutch, might free it up a little........

Comment

Originally posted by cocksnogger3 View Post
              Well after having some fun tidying up some fuel leaks last night the clutch has decided that it won't disengage today. Starting in first involved the bike lurching forward...

The cable is fully adjusted, it can't be tightened any more.
              Stupid question but what kind of bike?
              Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

I'm sorry for my comment Jim, it was rude and I shouldn't have said it. Bad morning is all.

I'll check the gearbox oil as it still tries to jerk forward slightly in neutral.

Originally posted by barfridge View Post
                If only there were experts you could pay to diagnose and fix problems you can't fix yourself...
                I need the bike by Monday, if I can get the parts today I can do all the work myself. I can't get the bike to a mechanic before Monday.

Originally posted by darkfibre View Post
                Is there spring tension when you pull the lever in?
                Yep there is.

Originally posted by Nero Diablo View Post
                Stupid question but what kind of bike?
                CBR250R.

Originally posted by Semi
                adjust your chain and clutch cable.
                It's not the clutch cable, it's already retracting the lever above the clutch as far back as it can go.

Comment

Might be worth getting a set of locking plies carefully onto the lever twisting in its direction of travel as far as you can and see if the clutch disengauges. If it does its likely you cable has let go a couple of strands and is right on the piont of breaking new one will fix it, also make sure the cable outer sheath is sceure in its mounting pionts. If you manually twist its full travel and it doesn't disenguge then the problem is under the clutch cover I'm not familar enough with the model to say what may be up with it.
                  Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

^^ I'll have a look into that, thanks Nero.

Okay... so appears it's a temperamental issue - riding mostly fine now with only a very slight pull when starting in 1st instead of a massive jerk. It needs a service and I hate dealing with temperamental issues so I'll take it in to someone next Saturday.

Comment

there's a pushrod under the cover that disengages the clutch, but it seems unlikely that it could fall out at all. Its a pretty simple design.

What nero said sounds right, the pullrod is probably moving, but not moving far enough.
                      If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

As Nero says, probably cable is stretched or on its way out... if its working for now, don't relax and assume its going to stay ok, as cables can just let go with no warning.

Comment

To add some clarification, if you want to test the internal workings (eg: prove its the cable) get a mate to hold the bike on its stand so the rear tyre is off the ground, push the lever (at the gearbox) to where your clutch cable is attached and give the start button a press. If the back tyre moves then you've got some issues. If not, looks like your cable needs replacing. Its not a big job to replace a cable.

I'm assuming you can't drop the bike into neutral? Have you tried to rock the bike back and forward and click into neutral without the clutch?

"Always out-numbered, never out-gunned"

Comment

My bike does this from time to time especially after i had just put new fibres in.

Start the bike in neutral and let it warm up for a minute or 2 and then actuate the clutch several times. It should be less grabby.

Or just hold the brake give it some revs and put it in first. Mine clunks a little bit when its cold but only ever does it first thing in the morning.
                            Wes

Comment

Originally posted by barfridge View Post
                              Just out of curiosity. Why is it OK for you to post OT shit in yadda yadda but someone can't post a technical question - in the technical area - on PSB as a first point of reference without having sarcasm thrown at them?

I'm almost certain that the ultimate solution may be to go to a mechanic but I was curious to know why posting here first was apparently the wrong thing to do. After all, PSB is about sharing the knowledge and there appears to be some pretty experienced people on here that might be able to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X