Daihatsu Charade ST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daihatsu Charade ST

Stupid idea, I know, but I've been wondering recently exactly what it would take to replace the 3cyl, 1 litre engine (33kw, minus twenty years' abuse) "engine" in my '89 Charade with a 3cyl, 1 litre engine from a Triumph Street Triple (at just under 100kw).

No this isn't my car below (it's a detomaso), and no, I won't actually be doing it, since I'd rather spend my money on an actual street/speed triple later on.

Given that the later charades (with about a third more displacement and power than mine) put out 88nm peak torque, and the 1050cc Striple engine puts out 105 (claimed), would you be able to use the existing transmission? What would need changing/replacing?

I'd honestly like to hear some ideas as to what would need to be done, whether it would be feasible, and if so, what sorta cost you'd be looking at for the bits you could never DIY...

As to why you'd ever want to? Shits and giggles.
    Originally posted by Dragunov-21
    If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Why don't you look for a front cut from an import Detomaso or something, they were close to 100kw.

What you are considering is a massive feat of engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by nath View Post
      Why don't you look for a front cut from an import Detomaso or something, they were close to 100kw.
      What you are considering is a massive feat of engineering.
      Kinda answered your own question there... If I actually just wanted small-car speed, I'd spend 10k on the 206 GTi 180 for sale across the road. I'm just pipedreaming.

So what would happen if you just made some custom mounts and dropped the engine in exactly where the original engine was? (I guess driving the alternator belt and figuring out oil circulation would be my first thoughts).
      If you want me to answer a question, I want you to ask one that doesn't put words in my mouth that were never there.

Comment

A couple of considerations:
        - how do you get the drive to the wheels?
        - is the stock drivetrain up to the job, gearbox and especially clutch? They aren't designed to cope with the weight of a car
        - how will the controls translate to a car? Throttle, clutch, gearbox etc
        - is the stator/generator system up to the job of driving all the extras on a car? You have more lights, pumps, fans etc
        For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
        For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by barfridge View Post
          A couple of considerations:
          - how do you get the drive to the wheels?
          - is the stock drivetrain up to the job, gearbox and especially clutch? They aren't designed to cope with the weight of a car
          - how will the controls translate to a car? Throttle, clutch, gearbox etc
          - is the stator/generator system up to the job of driving all the extras on a car? You have more lights, pumps, fans etc
          I was thinking of somehow using the charade's transmission system and alternator.

On a car (and this is where my lack of knowledge becomes painfully apparent), is the transmission not a discrete unit, separate from the engine?

(If not, then might as well /thread cuz it's not gonna happen no-way-no-how)

I'm guessing on a bike, they're all contained within the one casing, and therefore impossible to separate. Can you basically 1-1 gear the crankshaft to the car's gearbox, or am I delving even further in to the realms of the laughably ridiculous?

Comment

1) empty the entire drivetrain.
            2) get a fully sik lock up clutch for ur bike motor
            3) make a go kart style rear end, complete with sprocket and disks.
            4) drop ur engine in the boot conect the chain
            5)do a skid!

but seriously, thatd be my way of goin about it.

(possibly, and this is for practicality not fun, run a diff down back, shaft it up to the front add some gears to change the rotation to match the drive shaft on ur motor, then hook it up)

oh and gears could be paddle shifted or sequential on the in the original position in the car
            The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Would a chain be capable of moving a 1200kg (from memory) cage?

I guess if I was actually gonna do something like this, I may as well just make a go-cart with car rims or something lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov-21 View Post
                Kinda answered your own question there... If I actually just wanted small-car speed, I'd spend 10k on the 206 GTi 180 for sale across the road. I'm just pipedreaming.

So what would happen if you just made some custom mounts and dropped the engine in exactly where the original engine was? (I guess driving the alternator belt and figuring out oil circulation would be my first thoughts).
                You would ethier have to remove the bike gearbox and work out a way of driving through the car gearbox or work out a way of going from a final drive chain of the bike to the differential of the car, on a front driver this is going to be messy. There is also the issue of reverse what are you going to do about it. Ideally you would retain the car gearbox but then you would have to try and mate up the large diameter dry plate clutch to the motor casing that has a small diameter multiplate wet clutch. There is also the issue of brake suspension etc on the car and what you are going to do about the vacum assist for the brakes.

It would be easier if you started with a shaft driven motorcycle and maybe a dry plate one with a car style clutch. BMW Guzzi Ural etc etc we haven't talked about actually trying to make it legal yet, but to be honest with the time expense and effort the 206 over the road for 10k is probally a bargain. Yes it could be done it just comes down to how badly time vs cost do you really want to do it. There are also various kit cars you can mount motorcycle motors too which are much lighter better handling and faster than your built to a price econ box. This might be more intresting to you Pembleton Enthusiasts
                Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

im sure uve seen it...[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV4HdsDZX6c]YouTube - Smart with hayabusa engine[/ame]
                  The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

I have, and I have no doubt it is infinitely more awesome lol...

Man, I want a smart diablo now (actually, I'd rather chuck the engine in a Copen, or maybe a smart with the masserati bodykit).

Comment

I got my drivers licence in a Dieshitsu Charade. What a bucket of shite.

I would throw $2 of petrol on it and then follow that with a match
                      Most human beings have an almost infanite capacity for taking things for granted

Comment

Unless you are mechanically minded I wouldnt even start this.

Comment

I have, and I have no doubt it is infinitely more awesome lol...

Man, I want a smart diablo now (actually, I'd rather chuck the engine in a Copen, or maybe a smart with the masserati bodykit).
                          Yes but I think there is a reason you never see a smart diablo just going around a corner (it is always sliding) and you never see one in reverse. I think they went for the simple solution which is similar to a go kart with a solid shaft with a sprocket ie no diffeential the only way the rear can corner is sideways and they just didn't worry about reverse. I guess it comes down to if you want to make a practicle every day thing or just a play toy.
                          Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

I've been wondering recently exactly what it would take to replace the 3cyl, 1 litre engine (33kw, minus twenty years' abuse) "engine" in my '89 Charade with a 3cyl, 1 litre engine from a Triumph Street Triple (at just under 100kw).
                            It would take;
                            Space to do a long term project
                            Machining equipment
                            Welding equipment
                            Normal workshop equip (hoists etc)
                            Skills in all the above
                            Experience of re-engineering an item to fit somewhere it shouldn't
                            relationship councelling.
                            Beer / alcoholic beverages
                            sadness
                            Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Most motorcycle engined car projects utilize a small electric motor for reversing duties.

Comment

Working...
                              X