R1 won't idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1 won't idle

Arrgh I can't get my 05 R1 to idle properly, it just sits around 900rpm and keeps stalling, before it was idling way too high so after letting it warm up I adjusted the idle screw which didn't do anything, so I gave it heaps of turns which seemed to drop it a little bit then carried on riding, after about 5 mins i pulled the clutch in and the engine keeps stalling, no matter how many times I adjust the screw the other way It won't go above about 900rpm, I'm thinking it may have something to do with the Power Commander?

Got to rev between adjustments set at 1,150 -1,250 mines at 1,300
    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Alright I'm gonna dig around for a USB cable and my dads laptop and see if I can fiddle with the PC3, If I just change the lower values is there a chance I can muck up the tune?

Comment

Doubt the PC3 is whats causing it, make sure its the right map though
        "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Oh, how do you set rev adjustments?

Comment

has it had the Throttle position indicator recall?
            As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

'Soul' - Italian word for unreliability.

For a way to start racing cheap, go here > http://supermotowa.com

Comment

mmm

i dont think its the powercommander

make sure you cycle the ignition to OFF inbetween all setting changes
              Originally posted by Bendito
              If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Ok I think it's the TPS sensor, I read on R1 forum that it's meant to be at 18/97 Closed/Fully Open and mine is at 8 when closed and 70 when fully open, way off. Looking in the manual the TPS is located somewhere ont he throttle bodies under the fuel tank?

Comment

ring yamaha australia and organise a dealer to replace them through them (if it has not already been done)

there was a recall on the tps sensors for these bikes, there are two sensors and iirc they were about $240ea- you dont want to replace them youself

ive never seen one read 8/70 scaling sounds wrong..

sorry for the crap phone pics

you can just make out the code of the original tps sensors 324415 or maybe 324413 somethign like that anyway, the sensors were revised twice (before boshe managed to get it right).. final revision was released for the 06 bikes

Attached Files
                  Last edited by g0zer; 17-08-2009, 09:55 PM.
                  Originally posted by Bendito
                  If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

You can't set the correct idle of an R1 via the PCIII ... it's done mechanically.

Comment

can you disconnect the battery and reset the values?
                      IM ALWAYS ON THE EDGE, ITS ONLY THE SHARPNESS THAT VARYS

Comment

^^^ no

Comment

Yeah I'm leaning towards TPS, the mechanical idle adjustment does stuff all. The Idle gets worse as it warms up, starts off at a reasonable 1100 when cold then as it warms up to about 200F trouble starts as it chuggs along at around 8-900rpm.

Comment

Call up a reputable dealer and have them check your bike against the recall list. My 04 had a bad TPS which was replaced under warranty just fine. On my 04, the idle would drop and worsen to the point the bike would stall ... even when going round a corner, errr. Ya. Get it checked ASAP.

Comment

Yeah that sounds like a good idea, I checked it again today and I don't know if I read it wrong last night or it's changed but today the TPS was reading 5 closed and 84 fully open , still way out of wack.

Comment

Working...
                              X