ZXR750 switch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZXR750 switch question

I am making up a test jig to test the ignition control black box from a ZX-7
    From the wiring diagram in the manual I have worked out all the connections and the functions on each wire. Most of the wires end up being for sidestand etc and ten different ways to cut out the engine.
    I have enough info to now make the unit run on the bench.

However how many switches does the bike have for engine on/off
    According the the wiring diagram I have an ignition switch, and a kill switch.
    Fine
    Can someone tell me why there is a 3rd switch ???
    In the manual its called starter lockout switch.
    Based on the wiring diagram my guess its in the clutch lever assy, but i'd like
    to actually know.
    Anyone got a ZX-7 ?
    switch has 3 wires
    Black / yellow
    Yellow / Green
    Lite green
    If the manual is correct ^_^
    Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

could be the stand down switch
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Guns don't kill people, people with moustaches kill people.

Comment

Originally posted by crash View Post
      could be the stand down switch
      Posted via Mobile Device
      Stand switch is accounted for on another connection.
      Vague manual seems to show it on the bars, but not which side or a pic...

Comment

true you said that my bad. It would be the clutch as my 96 zx6 could have the stand down but in gear no worries until you released the clutch. It would be a pressure switch
        Posted via Mobile Device
        Guns don't kill people, people with moustaches kill people.

Comment

Thanks crash for the info, should have the unit tested tomorrow, will be interested to see if its repairable.
          Personally I think it has been misdiagnosed and will just work. I had always assumed that these bikes were CDI as well, but this unit is just a normal HEI DFI type system same as many late cars.

Comment

think it may be for the clutch, my zx-7r doesnt turn over without the clutch pulled.

Comment

Originally posted by darkfibre View Post
              Thanks crash for the info, should have the unit tested tomorrow, will be interested to see if its repairable.
              Personally I think it has been misdiagnosed and will just work. I had always assumed that these bikes were CDI as well, but this unit is just a normal HEI DFI type system same as many late cars.
              Only really dirt bikes and small capacity bikes/scooters are CDI. The rest are conventional ignition points/electronic injection and now fuel injection. Why battery condition is so important to get the thing to start as it has to provide enough current to turn the motor over and enough voltage to keep the electronics electronicing.
              Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nero Diablo View Post
                Only really dirt bikes and small capacity bikes/scooters are CDI. The rest are conventional ignition points/electronic injection and now fuel injection. Why battery condition is so important to get the thing to start as it has to provide enough current to turn the motor over and enough voltage to keep the electronics electronicing.
                You are correct on battery condition. After getting the Ignition unit working on the bench, I reduced the supply voltage. The Ignition system had no spark below 9.2 volts. 9 volts could still turn the starter (in some cases), but it would never start.

Comment

ZXR's are really fussy with volt drop during cranking I've had this a few times. Make sure you check the B+ conection to the starter mine corroded.

MM

Comment

The Zx7R has Ignition, Kill switch and Gear\Clutch (so you can't start it in gear with the clutch out)...

Remember as well that the ZX-7R has a resistor linking the ignition switch and relay, if you
                    a) try to hotwire it it wont start
                    b) have a fucked up ignition switch (corroded etc) it wont start
                    c) drop voltage it wont start
                    Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

Comment

Working...
                    X