Getting Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Started

Just received my Haynes manual for my 98 ZX6R. I'm really keen to get started on servicing and maintaining my bike plus maybe if I get a bit adventorous some little mods added on to her. Well anyway I'm about to go out and buy my tools. Just wondering what brand should I use and what is the best shop to get tools and spare parts from? I want more tradesman quality type of tools as they tend to last longer. I popped into conventrys auto and was pretty impressed by what they stock and that I can open up an account with my ABN with them.
    The first set of tools that I require are:
    torque wrench(small & mid range), combination of open ended and ring spanners, socket set(3/8" or 1/2" drive), spanners, wire type gauge, set of phillips.
    Where would I get spare split pins for my bike as I need to change them when adjusting my chain?
    For the oil type when replacing it says API grade SE, SF or Sg motor oil and viscosity SAE 10W40, 10W50, 20W40 or 20W50. What does that all mean and what is the best for my bike?
    With the spark plugs it says NGK CR9e or ND U27ESR-N, what does that mean, where can I get the best spark plugs for my bike and what type?
    With the drive chain can I upgrade that for a better one, will that have any affect?

Thank heaps for your time sorry for all the questions but I want to learn all I can on working on bikes and knowing how they work.

Originally posted by liquidcoats View Post
    Just received my Haynes manual for my 98 ZX6R. I'm really keen to get started on servicing and maintaining my bike plus maybe if I get a bit adventorous some little mods added on to her. Well anyway I'm about to go out and buy my tools. Just wondering what brand should I use and what is the best shop to get tools and spare parts from? I want more tradesman quality type of tools as they tend to last longer. I popped into conventrys auto and was pretty impressed by what they stock and that I can open up an account with my ABN with them.
    The first set of tools that I require are:
    torque wrench(small & mid range), combination of open ended and ring spanners, socket set(3/8" or 1/2" drive), spanners, wire type gauge, set of phillips.
    Where would I get spare split pins for my bike as I need to change them when adjusting my chain?
    For the oil type when replacing it says API grade SE, SF or Sg motor oil and viscosity SAE 10W40, 10W50, 20W40 or 20W50. What does that all mean and what is the best for my bike?
    With the spark plugs it says NGK CR9e or ND U27ESR-N, what does that mean, where can I get the best spark plugs for my bike and what type?
    With the drive chain can I upgrade that for a better one, will that have any affect?

Thank heaps for your time sorry for all the questions but I want to learn all I can on working on bikes and knowing how they work.
    Bunnings has split pins, the ones I bought are oversized but work just the same. I would suggest buying a reasonably well kitted tool kit to start off with, I went with this one and it is pretty much perfect for a bike.

Tools, Spanners, Clearance, Bargain, quality, Sockets, Powertools | Transquip Direct

Add a $90 kincrome torque wrench
    Tools, Spanners, Clearance, Bargain, quality, Sockets, Powertools | Transquip Direct

And you have most of the tools you need. Good quality shit, and transquip have great prices and are located in perth for fast delivery. I have found a use for every single piece of equipment in there, it will come in handy. The advantage with this kit is it has a few electrical goodies to help you work with your wiring too. I would suggest adding to this a multimeter($40, dicksmith), getting a soldering iron and solder($20) and some spare wire and connectors and things. You just never know when you need it, and better to have it on hand. Oh, and dont forget a filthy rag I'm sure you can find a wire type guage on their website too.

Read THIS thread for info about oil, don't worry about the SE, SF or SG crap. Just buy a quality motorbike specific synthetic oil if you can. Thats what I've gathered from my research anyways.

NGK is a brand of spark plugs, cr9e is the model number. if you go to a kwaka dealer, they will sell you the correct type. Remember to change your oil filter along with your oil unless you change it really often like me(3000k's, oil filter is no where near used enough to need replacing, I do it every second time).

Oh and if you haven't gathered from that, kincrome is a good brand of tools, from my research they appear to be pretty equal with sidcrome, but a fair bit cheaper. very popular brand for the home mechanic.
    Last edited by polonY; 18-08-2009, 09:08 PM.

Comment

There is a thread about various took kits too.
      Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Head for snap on tools. Made in the good ol' USA and are now superior to sidchrome.
        Though I run Sidchromes in my workshop.
        Get yourself a good Air Comp, Ratttle Gun & Air Ratchet. Don't buy the $50 shit from Super Cheap or Cashies, you gotta spend $$$ on these tools.
        Read you owners manual but source the net for plugs, Brake pads etc as you will find the same thing alot cheaper.
        Good luck and have fun.
        Jap Bike Show Presents for 2012:
        Blue Haze Ride II
        - Sunday 25th November 2012

March 2013 - 6th Jap Bike Show, Celebrating the "2 Stroke Era"

Details at: www.japbikeshow.com.au

Comment

Sorry, Thats "Snap On" as in brand.
          Jap Bike Show Presents for 2012:
          Blue Haze Ride II
          - Sunday 25th November 2012

March 2013 - 6th Jap Bike Show, Celebrating the "2 Stroke Era"

Details at: www.japbikeshow.com.au

Comment

Just got myself a complete Kincrome set-up from Beyond Tools in Malaga, definatly head there for a look! They have a HUGE range on display, some great specials and some good service! I recommend physically having a look/play with tools before purchasing.
            Theirs no replacement for displacement

Comment

Originally posted by Rooboy View Post
              Head for snap on tools. Made in the good ol' USA and are now superior to sidchrome.
              Though I run Sidchromes in my workshop.
              Get yourself a good Air Comp, Ratttle Gun & Air Ratchet. Don't buy the $50 shit from Super Cheap or Cashies, you gotta spend $$$ on these tools.
              Read you owners manual but source the net for plugs, Brake pads etc as you will find the same thing alot cheaper.
              Good luck and have fun.
              Snap on is a liiiiiiitle bit of overkill for the home mechanic i think

Comment

Buy stuff as you need it mate. No need to buy a rattle gun if you're not gonna use it. I'd recommend probably a socket set and a set of metric spanners to start with.
                If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Coulda given you a manual for free

Just get the tools as you need them, there aren't really that many that you have to have or can't do without, have fun

Comment

Honestly if your just doing home servicing i bought some stanley stuff and had some stanley stuff given to me and its worked well for me so far.

My 32mm stanley socket can hold up to a 400Nm rattle gun pretty easily.

Sure its cheap and its not the best but if your using stuff every 3 or 4 months then do you need the best
                    Wes

Comment

I adopted the approach of buying tools in sets from supercheap and, if they failed (which they have on occasion), replace just that one with something better (usually kinchrome or something like it). No point in paying $300 for a spanner set where you can pay $30 for a set and another $30 for the one spanner that tends to snap...
                      "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by polony View Post
                        Snap on is a liiiiiiitle bit of overkill for the home mechanic i think

Yeah, nothing wrong with Kinchrome, Sidchrome, you Dont need to mortgage your house to purchase a Metric combo spanner set !!!

Comment

-1 for Snap On. Too expensive for home tools, there's just no point in paying that much unless you're a working mechanic or similar. The quality IS better, but it does not increase in a linear correlation with the price.

I have Kincrome, Sidchrome, Stanley and ABW tools mainly. All very good and affordable, with Sidchrome being the most expensive of the 4. There's other ones out there worth buying, try and get a feel for quality fit/finish when looking at tools and work out what's priced well and what isnt.

For midrange mechanics tools, Stalney Mechanics (Taiwanese made) stuff is really good (NOT Stanley DIY, which is Chinese shit). I have a set of sockets here which are really quite good quality. Not a fan of the spanners, personal preference though.

Check out these threads for some reading:
                          http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...ool-kit-77777/

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...e-tools-66310/

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-wrench-81644/

Only buy what you will need immediately. I always wanted a compressor and rattlegun etc, but I wouldn't have used it yet anyway
                          The most used tools in my shed are metric sockets/spanners, screwdrivers and t-handle allen keys (love these things).

Definitely get some decent feeler gauges, tyre pressure gauge and a set of those 3 little brushes are handy too, think there's a nylon brush, a wire brush and something else.

The 'buy cheap and replace' system is a good one if you're on a tight budget, I had cheap shit spanners and sockets for years when I was just maintaining daily driven cars, never had a problem except for one socket splitting under pressure and slicing my hand a bit. Really, just be mindful of how well they fit the fastener so you aren't rounding them off, some of the cheap stuff really is shit, some is ok.

IRT spark plugs "NGK CR9e" is just the make/model. Go into an auto store and ask for "NGK CR9e" and they should have them, easy. They come pre-gapped but I like to check them anyway.
                          Originally posted by Amac
                          suck me on the hat you mole fucker, steroid affected me cock

Comment

Personally think sidchromes tools have gone to the dogs ever since stanley bought them, I have old original sidchrome ratchets that work perfect andf then I have new sidchrome (stanley) ratchets that slip and dont lock etc. As far as snap-on go, get real they are way overpriced, yes they are good but really the price borders on stupidity

Sidchrome these days is rubbish, save some of your money and buy kingchrome etc instead

Comment

Originally posted by simso View Post
                              Personally think sidchromes tools have gone to the dogs ever since stanley bought them, I have old original sidchrome ratchets that work perfect andf then I have new sidchrome (stanley) ratchets that slip and dont lock etc.

Sidchrome these days is rubbish, save some of your money and buy kingchrome etc instead
                              Depends on the ratchet. The design of the standard ratchets hasn't changed (new repair kits fit old ratchets and vice versa), I don't believe the quality of the standard ratchet has changed much. The new 'fancy' ratchets are utter shit though. All the swivelling, small headed, rotating whizz bang stuff is real crap.

I have both old and new standard ratchets/sockets and theyre all fine.

Aside from that, I'd still put Sidchrome quality above Kincrome, both from personal experience and from peope I know people who have worked in both companies in recent years. Kincrome's quality checking is as inconsistent as their production location. Sidchrome is always made in the same factory.

Having said that, both would still have bad runs occasionally due to batch checking (this is the biggest change to Sidchrome). Sidchrome used to be individually checked, easch socket, spanner and ratchet was checked by hand.
                              Obviously this was to expensive, which is why Sidchrome sold to Stanley in the first place. Good tools but they couldnt run a business at a profit.

I also don't agree with Kincrome's marketing principles which involve copying other brands products and promotions, which I have seen first hand numerous times. Even so far as copying Sidchrome's very well known ratchet.

Both are good with warranties though.
                              Originally posted by Amac
                              suck me on the hat you mole fucker, steroid affected me cock

Comment

Working...
                              X