Rear tyre size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear tyre size

I have a 180/55 on the rear of my gsxr at the moment, and I need new tyres. Should I go to a 190 on the rear? What difference will it make?
    What size would i go, 190/50?
    If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Not necessary, stick with a decent sticky 180

Comment

If you change to a 190 it'll make your bike less nimble.
      I would'nt bother.
      Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

nah leave tyre size stock

if you want traction think about running a set of DOT's like the bridgestone BT003
        Originally posted by Bendito
        If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

I put a 190 on and didn't notice any difference. It will give you more tyre contact with the road through corners.
          sigpic

Comment

it depends on your mass and the suspension setup you have
            have a look through the manual that came with your bike. look for the R22 table

Comment

WThroS.

Just leave it stock.
              c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

DOT is Department Of Transport approved for road use.

If you use a 190 you will turn in slower and it will run out of front tyre before rear when really cranked over, this means you lose the front before the back starts to slide. I would prefer to lose the back first.
                Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

If this is the case, why do the guys racing use 190's. ?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dv8 View Post
                    If this is the case, why do the guys racing use 190's. ?
                    When the eastern staters came over a few of them had 190's fitted, but from experience with a few riders they have found that the front starts sliding earlier when using the 190.

Check out the wear patterns on the bikes fitted with the different tyres.
                    Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

isnt the front tyre on the 600s and the 750's the same as on a 1000?
                      Originally posted by Bendito
                      If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

yeah, 120/70R17 is pretty universal on the front these days
                        For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                        For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by arwon View Post
                          When the eastern staters came over a few of them had 190's fitted, but from experience with a few riders they have found that the front starts sliding earlier when using the 190.

Check out the wear patterns on the bikes fitted with the different tyres.
                          No worrys.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dv8 View Post
                            I put a 190 on and didn't notice any difference. It will give you more tyre contact with the road through corners.
                            It really depends on the tyre design and the rim width, not sure about the GSXR but a few people have put 190's on the rear of their BB's (stock is 180 and a 5.5" rim) and it actually makes the bike turn slower AND reduces the contact patch due to trying to fit the tyre on the smaller rim Might be OK for drag racing but not cornering
                            #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                            Originally posted by Phildo
                            Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                            Originally posted by filbert
                            i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                            Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Racing tyres also may have a different profile to road tyres - for example I think most road going 190s are 190/50 while the dunlops I used on the track were 190/55... not sure about the bridgestones, don't pay that much attention.

Comment

Working...
                              X