cbr1100xx strange rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cbr1100xx strange rattle

I'm sure a bunch of people have made un-detailed posts like this and it's motivated by my reasonably limited understanding of the guts of my new bikes engine so bear with me.

cbr1100xx

Over the last few weeks I seem to have developed a "rattle" in my bikes engine when idling. It's coming from the lower/middle right hand side of the engine. It's pretty consistent while idling and sounds like a "tick tick tick" as the bike turns over. If I rev up it doesn't increase in frequency in sync with the revs increasing. It seems to be slightly lagging. Unfortunately I can't hear if it's still dong it while I'm riding as it's too quiet to hear over engine/wind noise.

To my ear it sounds like a chain rattling along the inside of a metal tube. The rattle also either stops or becomes very infrequent (the odd "tic") when I put it on it's side stand.

Any ideas what might be causing this? I took it into a shop to get a tune/carb balance and they said they couldn't hear it. Tho at the time I hadn't noticed it stopped on the side stand so they might have been listening to it when it was on the stand. (I wasn't there)

If this was my original bike (a CB110 ) I would just rip the engine apart and look for the problem. I have the Hayes manual for the CBR but the amount of moving parts in this engine fill me with "the fear".

I'm hoping someone here might have an idea/suggestion. I will take it to the shop regardless but it's always good to have a direction to point the mechanic so he doesn't waste time rooting around or doing un-needed stuff.

Thanks!

is it the timing chain, if i am not wrong there is a manual tensiorner for the backbird, dont take my word for it but just what i think. cheers

Comment

Does the BB use a Chain operated Alternator/Starter or oil pump the same way the previous CBRthou's did?

How many K's?
      You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

Originally posted by Cbr1k View Post
        Does the BB use a Chain operated Alternator/Starter or oil pump the same way the previous CBRthou's did?

How many K's?
        It's a 1997 BB so it's pre fuel injection. Unsure on the Chain operated alternator. Will check the service manual tonight when I get home, or see if I can find an online copy.

Unsure of the exact K's because it looks like someone has changed out the instrument panel at some point in time. It _says_ 31,000 but I don't belive that for a second. I'd guestimate over 100,000.

Comment

I had the same thing on my bike that had me baffled for a little while. It was very intermittent. Fortunately it was an easy fix. I had just installed a NEP throttle lock and the thing was fouling the starter button when the bike was on it's stand with the 'bars turned left. When the bike was on the centre stand it didn't happen. Anyway, a quick mod to the NEP and alls now good, though a still give it a little flick to be sure.

Maybe a similar thing?

D'Art

Comment

Originally posted by newbie77 View Post
            is it the timing chain, if i am not wrong there is a manual tensiorner for the backbird, dont take my word for it but just what i think. cheers
            Hrmm according to my shop manual there is a manual cam chain tensioner knob on the engine.

How dangerous is it for a "non expert" to fiddle with that? And is it likely to be the problem? The cam chains are on the right hand side so it might be likely.

Perhaps the chain needs replacing? How often do they need replacing?

Comment

i snapped a cam chain once.. it nuked the motor
              Originally posted by Bendito
              If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Yep. If you bugger it up and your cam chain goes, bent valves, possible piston damage, bent rods, blah blah blah.

Comment

Originally posted by Kai View Post
                  Hrmm according to my shop manual there is a manual cam chain tensioner knob on the engine.

How dangerous is it for a "non expert" to fiddle with that? And is it likely to be the problem? The cam chains are on the right hand side so it might be likely.

Perhaps the chain needs replacing? How often do they need replacing?
                  you could ask derek ball to give the bike its 100,000km service, and investigate the noise- i think there is no point 'fiddling' with cam chain tensioners when you are not even sure the cam chain is the source of the noise!
                  If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
                    Yep. If you bugger it up and your cam chain goes, bent valves, possible piston damage, bent rods, blah blah blah.
                    Gotcha, don't do that...

"Define bad?"

"Imagine all life as you know it stopping in an instant and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light"

".... ok... that's bad, don't cross the streams, good tip"

Comment

Originally posted by g0zer View Post
                      you could ask derek ball to give the bike its 100,000km service, and investigate the noise- i think there is no point 'fiddling' with cam chain tensioners when you are not even sure the cam chain is the source of the noise!
                      Fair enough... who's Derek Ball?

I just took the bike to a shop about 2 weeks ago and they gave it a "full 30,000k service" and said that they found nothing wrong and couldn't hear the rattle. It's still happening. :/

I'm assuming they didn't take it off the side stand as it doesn't happen then. (didn't know that at the time)

$800 later. :/

Oh well, back to the shop for me. I was heading down to Swan Valley on Friday but if it's that big a risk I might catch a lift with someone else.

Comment

Derek is the bestest mobile mechanic. Just did mine. Give him a call, the man knows his stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Kai View Post
                          Fair enough... who's Derek Ball?
                          a no nonsense mobile bike mechanic

0438 926 511

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan View Post
                            Derek is the bestest mobile mechanic. Just did mine. Give him a call, the man knows his stuff.
                            Contact details?

EDIT :Beaten

Comment

Booked and sorted.. thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X