Throttle Play Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Play Problem

I've recently/finally replaced the grips on my bike and thought hey nows a good time to get rid of the sticking throttle problem I've had.

Problem is this - When I get rid of the sticking in the throttle there's a ton of play in the throttle (at least 10mm). If I reduce the play the throttle starts to stick again.

When I did the grips I pulled apart all the throttle assembly and it all seems fine and everything was moving easy. Cables can be pulled and pushed easily I then pulled the throttle assenbly part another two times to make sure it was put together correctly. It was.

NOTE: this problem was present BEFORE I changed the grips, I just tolerated the sticking.

Any ideas what I can do next ??
    Last edited by Big_Dave; 21-08-2009, 09:31 AM.
    When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story.

Originally posted by lobes89
    Yea I like the bike but it's hard to get my foot under the brake lever

ton of play? 100mm? so you have 100mm/10cm of turn in the throttle before it starts moving the carb slides? Doesn't sound right.

Comment

100mm would be a full wrap around, that couldn't possibly be right.

Comment

Lube the cables...

Route them correctly from the carbs...

Adjust...

Comment

typeo meant 10mm

To elaborate more.

If I accelerate hard then release the throttle it slowly drops instead of springing back fast.
          It springs back alright now, but I have the free play problem, it seems to be either one or the other (free play or sticking) I don't seem to be able to get rid of both.

Comment

Just a guess, because like the others I cant see how 100mm is possible
            Could it be the way the cable(s) are routed ?

Bert
            It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
            Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

cable oiler^

pull the throttle tube off and clean up the interface between it and the clip on, i hit mine with teflon dry lube

there should be a large thin plastic washer that floats inbetween the rubber grip and the switchblock, is yours there?

finally if you have fitted new grips, did you trim it so it does not overlap the bar end? neither the bar end nor the switchblock rotate with the throttle.. the rubber grip should not contact anything that is not the throttle tube.
              Originally posted by Bendito
              If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

just a thought..have you tried re-adjusting the bar end weight? My throttle gets "sticky" in so much as it doesn't snap back too quick sometimes but its because of the slight friction of the bar end on the grip if I hadn't put it back in properly. had me stumped for a few hours though..

Comment

Play in the throttle is most likely a cable adjustment/lube/condition issue rather than anything to do with the grip.
                  Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Ok, I'm going to try lubing up the cable.

As for adjusting the cable, would it be the Decelorator cable that I need to adjust ??

Comment

Sounds like you arent adjusting them correctly.
                      They get tight because they are trying to fight each other.
                      You need to loosen the other cable before you make the adjustment.

edit: loosen the decellerator cable right off.
                      adjust the accelerator cable to get the required freeplay in the throttle
                      tighten the decellerator cable until the throttle gets sticky, and then back it off a tad.
                      Check the throttle for freeplay and smoothness at full steering locks
                      Last edited by Duffman; 21-08-2009, 12:25 PM.
                      Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

ok, well i've been playing around with the cables a fair bit and still don't seem to be able to get out all the stickyness out.
                        So i've going to get some cable lube stuff and try that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Dave View Post
                          ok, well i've been playing around with the cables a fair bit and still don't seem to be able to get out all the stickyness out.
                          So i've going to get some cable lube stuff and try that out.
                          Cable lube (I use the lube devices illustrated earlier but its not esential) Flush all the crap out with liberal amounts of WD40,CRC,RP7 lightwieght lubricant/water displacer of your choice. A bit of clean eninge oil and i'm talking a bit out of the bottom of a cap, half squirt of WD40 to dilute it/make it runnier. Work cable back and forth to work this thoughout the cable done. If you want to get really picky about things remove the cable completely and hang up to allow lubricant to run through. It might also be worth looking for frayed strands down near the carbs where the inner is exposed to the elements as this end tend to be out of sight out of mind. The only fix for frayed ends is replacment.
                          Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Ok, I've played around with the cables and the switch housing quite a bit and managed to get a good amount of free play on the throttle but it's still sticking a tiny bit when rolling off, it not really noticable when my hand is still on the throttle only when I completely let go.

So i'll take a shot at lubing the cables today. My big question today is "Nero Diablo how do you get your concoction down the cable ?"

Comment

Gravity and working the cable back and forth, so you will at least have to disconnect one end hold it up, if I wasn't out bush I'd lend you my cable lubricator but I is.

Comment

Working...
                              X