clutch slippage (i think?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch slippage (i think?)

getting some sort of slippage when i crack the throttle on in the gsxr, it happens in most gears

bike only has 9000km on it, and i rarely ride the clutch or do wheelies with the clutch. Bike was last serviced at 6000 by mechanic, and has been running fine up until a week or two ago, when i went on a very spirited ride, and noticed it slip when powering it on from 5/6krpm in 6th
    any ideas? whats it gonna cost?
    wood for life? wood is life.
    Originally posted by thro
    i only squid it when riding pissed.

Sounds about right for a worn out clutch, It starts to slip in the higher geasr then it will eventually slip in the others as it gets more worn out and it can't tolerate as much torque.

(my clutch is worn right now so I know)

Cost wise I would put 250ish if you buy from overseas, they totally rip you off locally.

You would need, friction plates, springs, and gasket, and probably change the oil too.

Comment

Have you checked the adjustments?

Comment

Originally posted by harns View Post
        getting some sort of slippage when i crack the throttle on in the gsxr, it happens in most gears

bike only has 9000km on it, and i rarely ride the clutch or do wheelies with the clutch. Bike was last serviced at 6000 by mechanic, and has been running fine up until a week or two ago, when i went on a very spirited ride, and noticed it slip when powering it on from 5/6krpm in 6th
        any ideas? whats it gonna cost?
        slip or stutter?
        In one particular gear?

If it is a solid jolt.. it could be the gearbox

Comment

They have a cable or hydraulic clutch? If cable, check it has free play, some nice person may have wound the adjuster a little bit for you.

Comment

Is it possible it's been topped up with the wrong oil. Car oils will make your wet clutch slip.

Comment

My VFR would do the same thing after I took it out in a big downpour. Changing the oil made it go away, so I attributed it to a bit of water in the oil. Go the cheap options first or consult your mechanic.

"Always out-numbered, never out-gunned"

Comment

Adjustment would the cheap thing to eliminate first. If I set mine too tight - it slips slightly under heavy throttle, I back it off a touch.

Comment

the lever has freeplay and i tried adjusting it already, its a smooth slip in high gears its starting to happen in lower gears. what kinda ride in ride out price from a mechanic will i be charged? cheers

Comment

how often do you do wheelies and do you clutch it up or power?
                    As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

'Soul' - Italian word for unreliability.

For a way to start racing cheap, go here > http://supermotowa.com

Comment

not too often i may have done 100 max, mostly first gear power ups. reason im confused is because the bikes only got 9000km.. im gonna go have a good play around with the cable because besides the freeplay in the lever its under tension immediately.

in other news i just waited 2 and a half hours at the fucking pits to be told my exhaust was too loud and i have another sticker... fuck

Comment

Originally posted by harns View Post
                        the lever has freeplay and i tried adjusting it already, its a smooth slip in high gears its starting to happen in lower gears. what kinda ride in ride out price from a mechanic will i be charged? cheers
                        Definitely sounds like clutch on the way out - they start to slip in higher gears under hard accel first, and then gradually start doing it more in lower gears.

You haven't put new oil in the bike recently by any chance (or someone else has)?

If its got the wrong oil in it, it could also cause the clutch to slip (I only mention this, because you say the bike has only 9000km on it, which is a bit early to be knackered).
                        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

nah i havent touched it, my 6000 was at k-tec so the oil should be fine

Comment

Working...
                          X