Mikuni 32mm Carb questions (XT225)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mikuni 32mm Carb questions (XT225)

Hi I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me where these hoses plug up to?

There is one on each side. I bought this bike for a grand, registered for a year. It runs fine, but when it warms up the idle just keeps raising and I have to turn the bike off, or let the clutch out. It's fine offroad because I'm always moving, but I want to go on Learner rides and this is the only thing stopping me right now =(

I have fixed everything else on it already... new bar end mirrors, front lamp, silkolene oil, recovered the seat, painted it in Bunnings $2 Fiddly bits paint (Good stuff for when I crash it I can just respray it for $2! Lol...) New tyres, shock covers, Indicator assembly, indicators, tail light.. doing the exhaust today omg it's endless. Still cheap and fun though. Went for a ride around my driveway and culdesac today and omg, I am wondering again why I even bother with my cage at all.....
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by darkfibre
    Just sync the oil changes with her monthly cycle and get all the grumpyness over with, leaving the rest of the month clear sailing.

If it's not a fuel inlet, it's most probably for emission control which isn't really needed.
    PSB Roller - http://soundcloud.com/talon

Comment

Fuel inlet is the one just below it... The revs go up and keep raising... I've reconditioned the carb with new needle and seat and O-rings. Maybe I need to replace the diaphragms or something in there. I'll keep doing my research!
      Just sync the oil changes with her monthly cycle and get all the grumpyness over with, leaving the rest of the month clear sailing.

Comment

Looks like overflow outlets to me...
        But then that Carb doesn't look like anything I know :p
        Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
        One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
        . .

Comment

My first thought was that the bike is starting to run lean.
          If you can ride the bike off-road then its not starving for fuel.
          Perhaps a crack in the intake manifold that opens up as the engine heats up?
          Or perhaps you just have the idle set too high?
          Is there a choke?

I'm not very savy with carbs, but I would guess the hose is an overflow and the tube a breather of some kind?
          Do the revs change at all if you block either of them?
          Can you feel any air coming out of it/ pulling a vacuum?
          Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

Manifold is worn out a bit... I have to replace it. I'll do this tomorrow. It looked a bit brittle, but wasn't noticeably cracked. Idle is ok. There is a choke which I have plugged up so its pushed in permanantly. Is there any way to remove it? It screws in a cable with a little pin. I think this is probably causing the issue. It's how I bought the bike... I checked out two wheel wreckers and their cable is the same, all crappy... I was going to replace the carb with a 30mm one from ebay, but decided to rebuild the Mikuni since it was better. Now invested like $70 or so into it, just gotta get it to work.

I figured since the choke was put in it won't be affecting the bike. The cable definately doesn't come loose, but I think it probably isn't sitting the whole way in for some reason or something =( Anyway to eliminate or plug up the choke? Might have to get creative with a bolt and some metal I think.

Comment

Do the revs change at all if you block either of them?
              Can you feel any air coming out of it/ pulling a vacuum?

No and no... I'd say your right with breather/overflow. They don't look like they go anywhere on the bike. I might just put some hose on each of them so they arent so exposed. As I said I got the bike for cheap and just trying to get it sorted.... It is really fast for an old 250 road/trail! Six speed/electric start too. For $1200 registered for a year I think it's a bargain!

I'll report back tomorrow after new manifold installation and a mess around with the choke if that doesn't work. *Im sure the choke cable is in and seated right* and the manifold looks dodgy. Thanks for your help.

Comment

If your not using the choke, then I would say the issue is that you have the idle up too high.
                Without the choke, the engine should idle like shit, if at all, when its cold. Thats what the chokes for. To keep the engine running and to warm it up. The idle should be set when the engine is at operating temp.
                Fixing the choke would be the best option, but if you cant, then one option is to turn the idle up when first starting so it will run, and turn it back down to a proper idle speed when the engines warm. (or hold the throtle open a tad while she warms up)

Pics of the choke and what youve plugged up might be useful
                Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

If it's anything like the TM34's then I reckon it the fact you don't have the choke plunger in there. Plugging the hole won't do anything as the 'pin' you're talking about is a plunger that blocks the port when the choke is off. If you've only blocked the hole then the choke will still be fully open.

I have a spare choke cable and plunger you can have to see if it will fit.

Comment

Cheers, that's exactly how it works. I have used 1/2 of the choke cable and fixed the end. The cable wont move and the pin is seating in where it would be when you dont have the choke pulled. I just let it idle a little higher when it's cold. The idle is definately set right. It's low and half a turn will have it stall, it's good.

I am thinking there could be a problem with the actual choke pin or spring there. Maybe if it moves or something. I have cable tied it decently and it doesn't move out.

I'll go take a couple more better pics of it now.

Comment

If you want those bits just let me know.

Comment

go get yourself a carby rebuild kit. i can help you if you need a hand doing it. the kit will have all the parts that are not working propper and the ones that are. twill be like a new one. i can also help you set it up.

If not look up a manual one the net and follow the directions.
                        IM ALWAYS ON THE EDGE, ITS ONLY THE SHARPNESS THAT VARYS

Comment

Thanks druu, I'll replace the manifold first and see. It has a few outer (very small) cracking marks, but when I inspected inside, it looked relatively ok. The clamps around them are crap and I'll replace also. The bolts going to the head are really worn though and rounded which is going to be an issue. Might just try chisel them off (like unscrew with the chisel and hammer) first and then if that doesn't work somehow think of something else. I dont think a drill is getting in there!

Matty, thanks for the offer mate! I bought a rebuild kit from Yamaha (Cost me like $70) and put this through the bike. I took it for a burn just down the street and back today while it was warmed up and it feels like a totally different bike. I can give it stick without it bogging down now and once I get the raising idle problem fixed Im sure it will be good enough. The needle and everything is mounted in there correctly as far as I am aware. I downloaded the manual and took my time to rebuild it. Definately better than what it was before.

I am really thinking its the manifold, or issues with the choke sitting in there right. I'll let you know tomorrow when I get a new manifold fitted for it.... or when I come on angry after not being able to get the old one off LOL - oh, good thinking B1, Im gonna go WD40 the bolts now!

Comment

Oh and the pic...

I have something seated in the halfway mark joiner of the choke cable... if you know what I mean.. so the choke pin is pushed all the way in. If it's not the manifold I'm sure it's that. Manifold looks horrendous though so that's why Im betting my money on it. I'll see tomorrow anyway, cheers.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Why is it cable tied? How is the choke pin/plunger pushed in?

..why is the carb body painted dodgy red?

Comment

Working...
                              X