Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Sprocket and Chain

Does anyone have a good guide for this?

I am planning on doing the sprockets and chain on my 05 GSXR 600.

I am fairly clued on mechanically but by no means a mechanic.

Just after some useful tips and a guide as to doing this with minimal issues.

Cheers.

EDIT: ahhh probably should have put this in "How to" seeing as thats what i want to know...

there is an excelent writeup on r1-forum.com thats what i looked at to do mine.

but lesson- Do not cut your chain before you take off your front sprocket.
    As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

'Soul' - Italian word for unreliability.

For a way to start racing cheap, go here > http://supermotowa.com

Comment

Put the bike on a rear stand.

Loosen the chain tension off, then use a chain breaker to seperate the joining link in the chain (its normally got swaged ends, I doubt you'll have a joining link with a clip). Bike in neutral, wheel the rear wheel around til the chain comes off. Be mindful of where you put your fingers!

Remove the rear axle bolt and remove the rear wheel. Only a few nuts to remove the rear sprocket. Sometimes a rattle gun is needed to get them loose. Check the orientation of the new sprocket before you install it.

For the front sprocket, remove the sprocket cover (maybe four or so small bolts to hold it on. Rattle gun the front sprocket off. Take this time to clean all the gunk from around the chain guard and generally degrease the whole lot.

Install your new front sprocket, and lay the chain on it, 1/3 underneath the sprocket, 2/3 over the top (check the new chain length vs the old one when you fit the new one, you may need to remove some excess links). You can replace the front sprocket cover at this point if you're confident you won't jump the chain off when you swage the new joining link together.

Refit your rear wheel with the new sprocket. Lay the chain over the top of this and bring it around and underneath. Join the chain with the joining link and swage with your chainbreaker tool. Tension chain up as per manufacturers recommendation. Refit front sprocket cover (if you didn't do it earlier).
      A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

Dear god, it's some weird bastardized three wheeled two person go-kart.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
        Put the bike on a rear stand.

Loosen the chain tension off, then use a chain breaker to seperate the joining link in the chain (its normally got swaged ends, I doubt you'll have a joining link with a clip). Bike in neutral, wheel the rear wheel around til the chain comes off. Be mindful of where you put your fingers!

Remove the rear axle bolt and remove the rear wheel. Only a few nuts to remove the rear sprocket. Sometimes a rattle gun is needed to get them loose. Check the orientation of the new sprocket before you install it.

For the front sprocket, remove the sprocket cover (maybe four or so small bolts to hold it on. Rattle gun the front sprocket off. Take this time to clean all the gunk from around the chain guard and generally degrease the whole lot.

Install your new front sprocket, and lay the chain on it, 1/3 underneath the sprocket, 2/3 over the top (check the new chain length vs the old one when you fit the new one, you may need to remove some excess links). You can replace the front sprocket cover at this point if you're confident you won't jump the chain off when you swage the new joining link together.

Refit your rear wheel with the new sprocket. Lay the chain over the top of this and bring it around and underneath. Join the chain with the joining link and swage with your chainbreaker tool. Tension chain up as per manufacturers recommendation. Refit front sprocket cover (if you didn't do it earlier).
        Yeah thats all well and good but how about you mention to loosen front sprocket before you take the old chain and wheel off, I guess you could throw the bike in gear and hit the nut with a rattle gun, i would hate to be gear face in the box when you did this though. Also easiest way to check chain length is lay old and new side by side on the floor, you will notice that as you move the same amount of links along on each chain, the old one will get longer, this is the wear, or stretch as its comonly known, count the same amount of links and cut the new one. After you have fitted the chain, do a search for string lining your bike, some bikes, some gsxr's in particular, are notorious for having the markings on the swingarm out of line.

Comment

Hey thanks for that guys, some pretty good pointers.

I have a mate coming around who reckons he knows how to do it, thought I might put it out to the PSB brains trust first so I know the steps.

As for the length I have gone for a 1 down 1 up sprocket set from Driven, this kit came with a chain. I am assuming that this is likely to be the right size if not a little bigger than needed?

Thanks again.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to mention one thing.....loosen the front sprocket nut before you take the old chain and wheel off.
            A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

Dear god, it's some weird bastardized three wheeled two person go-kart.

Comment

The new chain should be slightly longer than needed so may need to be cut. front sprocket on, hand tight, rear wheel in, chain adjuster to front mark, slightly tighten axle nut so wheel doesnt slide back or forward, wrap chain around, mark length, cut.
              Before you start make sure you have all the tools, so many people rip all the old shit off, throw the new stuff on and then realise they have no master link riveting tool

Comment

Hm just looked through how to and the mods do a fine job in there, everything I saw was actually a guide, not 'how do i change my oil'? Which a good % of the threads started there are.
                If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean'o View Post
                  Before you start make sure you have all the tools, so many people rip all the old shit off, throw the new stuff on and then realise they have no master link riveting tool
                  Couldnt agree more. Been there done that, although not with bikes, but yes I will be getting everything together.

Stupid question as this might be, but should I lube the front sprocket while I am doing this?

Comment

Nah mate, you dont need to. It'll get lubed initially by the wax on the chain, and then on your first lube. (Usually after a 10min ride to heat up the chain)
                    If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Working...
                    X