Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a bike that has been flipped

Hey guys and gals,

I have a 1999 Yamaha R1 that, in recent months, has been flipped onto its back. Its now come into my possession and I was wondering, before I press the start button is there anything I should know or look at besides the fluid levels.

Thanks all

"Always out-numbered, never out-gunned"

Is it Shortfuses?
    My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

As long as it didn't run on it's back it should be coo...
      Let me know if you need someone to drink a beer and kick the tyres while you fiddle ^_^

Comment

need pics! to have a look at the state of the thing!
        One would think that a few "basic" tests would be required before hitting the button

Comment

check the air filter is not full of oil.
          Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

i'd pull the plugs out and turn it over by hand couple times just to make sure there is nothing binding, then krank it on the starter motor a few time to clear the cylinders of any fluids that may of leaked in.
            I'd then flush, refill and bleed the coolant system to make sure there is no air pockets.
            check condition of oil for any contaminates and change if needed.

I'm not 100% sure for an R1 engine but thats what i would do for any engine that had been inverted.
            B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Thanks guys. Jamathi, can't supply pics just yet. Picked it up yesterday afternoon so I've only got the one on my phone. Had thought about pulling the plugs and turning it over, but hadn't thought about looking in the airbox.

I don't think its Shortfuses; for whats happened to it, its in really good condition.

Thanks for the offer Bendito. I'll let you know when its back at mine. A mate is storing it at the moment

Comment

Hit the button. You'll soon find out if there are dramas.
                "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by MrMike View Post
                  i'd pull the plugs out and turn it over by hand couple times just to make sure there is nothing binding, then krank it on the starter motor a few time to clear the cylinders of any fluids that may of leaked in.
                  I'd then flush, refill and bleed the coolant system to make sure there is no air pockets.

I'm not 100% sure for an R1 engine but thats what i would do for any engine that had been inverted.
                  This

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post

Not this
                  My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
                  Motorcycle Panel & Paint
                  Q-Zar Fremantle
                  Rated-R Parts
                  PerthStreetBikes.com and it's generous members
                  Carlisle Printing - Deals for PSB members
                  CIC - Competition & Industrial Coatings
                  Carpet Liquidators - Midland

Comment

Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

I did this to mine before i started it and also a little bit of two stroke oil in the top of the cylinders before i cranked it over .. . . replace all fuses and turn ign on and test with a mulit meter but the gixxer was a bit of a mess

it should be fine bro but a few checks might save you some coin .. . . .
                    Keep being awesome ^_^

Comment

Can confirm that its not shortfuses bike.

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
                      Yyyyyy'no. I don't want Home and Away magnitude of dramas.

Comment

mate if your that unsure drop it off at a bike shop and get them to bring it back to life the cost will be minimal and if they f*ck it up it's there problem . . . .
                        Keep being awesome ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Rickyj View Post
                          mate if your that unsure drop it off at a bike shop and get them to bring it back to life the cost will be minimal and if they f*ck it up it's there problem . . . .
                          No, if they fuck it up, its your problem. Bike stores will offer no warranty on defects such as this case. Besides, the whole point of buying a bunky is to do it up yourself with the help of a few mates and a few beers

Comment

Back in my road racing days I used to just pick em up, fire 'em up and keep racing (if they weren't too beat up and the handlebars and footpegs were still there). I never even thought about possible damage that might be caused. I suppose it came from my motocross background where flipping a bike is a fairly common thing. Not saying that it was the right thing to do and that anyone else should do it. Just that it was what we all did. I did it at least 4 times with my last bike. (yeah, I crashed a lot)

Comment

Just to update: Checked the motor by hand, and then with the starter. The motor is turning over fine but it isn't starting (probably due to a faulty fuel pump which will be replaced tomorrow). Thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
                              X