whats the best glue to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the best glue to use?

I need to glue foam (think weatherstripping spongey foam) to plastic, what is the best glue to use for that?

I was thinking maybe contact glue? But contact glue doesn't really like most plastics from what I've experienced.

Maybe I need the super sticky double sided automotive tape?

Any ideas?
    Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
    Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Tarzans grip.
    Let it dry to contact and stick it.
    Better test it on a bit of foam first though.

Comment

I would be looking through the sikaflex catalogue or something similar, they will have a products suitable....

contact glue doesn't like plastics OR foam... ahah

I remember my distress and despair in primary school with a model boat science competition (build one to get to the other side of the pool under its own power) when my nice, high density foam hull that I had spent HOURS sanding developed a fatal hole through the centre from about 4 drops of model cement

since then I have ALWAYS tested it first aha

Comment

Originally posted by cocksnogger4 View Post
        Tarzans grip.
        Let it dry to contact and stick it.
        Better test it on a bit of foam first though.
        I was thinking maybe doing the same with "liquid nails". Apparently you can let that dry to contact.

Do you think that would work just as well as the Tarzan's grip?
        Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

Mayyyybe on an inflexible surface.
          More than likely just ooze into the foam then go rock solid.

Comment

high temp silicone
            IM ALWAYS ON THE EDGE, ITS ONLY THE SHARPNESS THAT VARYS

Comment

Depends on the type of plastic and the type of foam, I would'nt suggest any adhesives until i knew.
              Safest bet would be a good quality double sided tape if you don't want any damage to both surfaces.
              Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

well maybe if i gave more information....

I'm replacing the weatherstrip foam on my headlights. So its the plastic that the headlights are mounted in and its weatherstripping foam. I removed the old glue which seemed like it was ultra sticky thin d/s tape.

Comment

Try soaking the foam in petrol and setting it on fire???

Comment

There is weatherstripping available with adhesive backing already on it. Try bunnings or somewhere like that. It is usually used for sealing doors and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Veefore View Post
                      There is weatherstripping available with adhesive backing already on it. Try bunnings or somewhere like that. It is usually used for sealing doors and stuff.
                      thanks, already scoped out clarks rubber and bunnings. its not the right profile. sticky is on the long edge, not the short edge.

Comment

Working...
                      X