Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a flat :( What are my options ?

The title says it all.

On the ride home today bike felt kinda sluggish, pumped it up with the compressor at home and suddenly I could hear a hisssssssssssssss and as I got closer noticed what looks like the head of a nail, covered it with my finger and discovered another hisssssssss ..... so I got 2 nails in my tyre.

What are my options ??? (Is it possible/worth plugging ?)

Here's a little more facts for ya'll

Tyres are old and on their last legs ... centre line is basically slick now and I'm already sorting out getting new tyres next week.

Both nails are in the centre 1/3rd of the tyre.

Bike is my only form of transport and not riding it to get new tyres could be a hassel.

Nail, or nail looking objects, are still in the tyre. Haven't attempted to remove yet.

Cheers
    Dave.
    When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story.

Originally posted by lobes89
    Yea I like the bike but it's hard to get my foot under the brake lever

when i got new tryes from tyres for bikes in vic park it was like an hour turn aroud... go get new tyres and get a coffee or beer which ever u prefer whilst you wait... plugging will only lead to more problems later on down the track

Comment

Need to wait almost a week to get the tyre size in, so was hoping there might just be a temp solution to hold out for a week

Comment

If the centre is bald most bike shops won't plug it. You could try the self vulcanising rope type plug avalible from various auto shops to hold things together so you can get new rubber chucked on. If the leak is too fast to just pump up and go its a trailer/motorcycle movers job unless you have a rear stand and can pull the rear wheel take that in get it fixed then ride the bike in for the front.
        Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

What size tyre and what brand/compound touring/sports touring etc etc are you after?
          Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

BT92's for a zx2r

so that's 110/70 140/60

Worst thing is I may have to wait till the new month to have enough "loose" cash to get tyres. But I might be able to pull so strings with the boss

Comment

Bikes been in the garage for about 30mins now and the tyre hasn't gone down tons.

Should I be pulling out the nails to see how bad it is, or will that just make things worse ?

Comment

Leave the nails in. It will leak worse if you pull them out.

Paying for it to be plugged (if a shop will plug a bald tyre) is a waste if your replacing it in a week.

If its a slow leak, you could carry a pump around with you.
                Or head straight to your nearest servo before your journey.
                Inflate to the maximum pressure written on the tyre.
                Aslong as you ride sensibly, I cant see any issues in the short term.

Ive used a drop of superglue on a puncture before. Slowed the leak down enough for me to get home.

Other option is as Nero said.
                (or catch the bus, ride a pushy, call in favours from family and friends)
                Last edited by Duffman; 27-08-2009, 04:59 PM.
                Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

You can get roadside repair kits that can be used for temporary repairs.

I'd get one of them (tyres for bikes do them, i keep one with me in the tool compartment on my bike) and keep an eye on it.

They're about 50 bucks.

I wouldn't bother getting a permanent plug, by the time you pay someone to take the tyre off, put it back on and plug it, thats a fair amount of money you could just put towards new tyres.
                  “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Take both tyres off the bike and put it on rails.

Or just do what thro said. Or duffman.
                    Originally posted by Ferris
                    I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

Other option is to buy a can of slime and fire that in there.

The tyre shop will hate you (it stinks and is a bastard to clean off). But it will keep the nails in place and the gap sealed for a week...
                      "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Hmmm, okay. I'll try super glue just to see if it slows the leak whilst in the garage but surely it comes straight off when riding.

So far I've managed to convince my boss to forward my pay sightly early, so i'll be getting new tyres next week. First thing tomorrow morning I'll be ringing around for the best price and hopefully stores can get the 140/60 tyre in for monday.

Till then I'll be keeping off the bike in the hope that I'll be able to ride it to/for the tyre change I'll just carry a pump and be prepared to possibly hit up a store for slime.

Thanks for all the speedy replys, you've been much help.

Comment

Anyone know if K-tec do good prices for tyres ? or would I be better off with tyres 4 bikes ?

Tho, I'm probally still going to ring them both tomorrow

Comment

How much is your life well being and limbs worth!
                            OK I'll say it/type it!
                            GET NEW TYRES.

Comment

Originally posted by Nero Diablo View Post
                              What size tyre and what brand/compound touring/sports touring etc etc are you after?
                              18" rim on the rear, so not much choice in the particular size they take
                              Motorbikes run on fire and air. Its elemental -Matt Kelly

Comment

Working...
                              X