Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose steering CBR600 08

Hi peeps,

Just started to notice the steering on my bike (08cbr600)feels really light. Even when stationary. I don't know much about head bearings but a mate at work had a quick look and shake of the bike/forks and said there didn't appear to be noticable play in the wheel or headset? bearings. Is it possible the steering damper has died? Even at 120 plus giving the bars a wobble is feeling alot easir/looser.

Now the honda steering damper to my knowledge is new for the 07-08 cbr 600rr as speed increases so does the resistance of the unit. The bike only has just over 6000km's on it. I can't think of any reason for the unit to have died nor do i know how it works. Any ideas?

Thanks,

BJ
    Originally posted by Rocket
    Hahah yeah, cos if there's one thing that scares the shit out of people, it's a bunch of 60kg computer geeks on GPX250's wobbling into a carpark.

Maybe the steering damper leaked some oil?

Comment

is there a way to check this? i haven't got a w/s manual. what kind of oil do they use and how do you top it up? haven't started pulling the bike apart yet and never really payed attention to the damper in the past
      Hahah yeah, cos if there's one thing that scares the shit out of people, it's a bunch of 60kg computer geeks on GPX250's wobbling into a carpark.

Comment

Is yours the HESD?

Check this thread mate.

Comment

Steering Damper is designed as a non servicable unit (ie Honda will just sell you a whole new unit).
          Take your tank cover off if you want to have a look for any leaks, but don't open it.

Sure it's got nothing to do with the new tyres?
          Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

I'm not really seeing a problem?

If the steering head bearing is adjusted correctly (buy/find a manual and check, failing that ask honda to print you a copy of that page and check), and there is little resistance to turning, it sounds like a good thing to me...

Some people like to adjust thier steering dampers to give a noticable resistance when turning - personally I cant stand it, but if you do like it surely you can re-adjust yours?

Comment

On normal dampers they are usally sealed units, i'd look around the damper and see if you can see signs of leakage. Most likely headsteam bearing though when was it last serviced? when is it due next it might be simply a case of the bearings beading in from new with wear. Usually with headsteam bearing the bars will give a bit of a shake whilst deacclerating with no preaure applied ie hands off. Might be worth testing probally out of sight of the po po they might frown upon that.
              Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Originally posted by rc_sam View Post

Sure it's got nothing to do with the new tyres?
                yeh its only become really noticeable the last 4 times i rode it. yesterday and today both to and from wok

Originally posted by Ryder View Post
                I'm not really seeing a problem?

If the steering head bearing is adjusted correctly (buy/find a manual and check, failing that ask honda to print you a copy of that page and check), and there is little resistance to turning, it sounds like a good thing to me...

Some people like to adjust thier steering dampers to give a noticable resistance when turning - personally I cant stand it, but if you do like it surely you can re-adjust yours?
                yeah mate i don't mind it it feels nice i just don't want to come to the situation where i need it and it doesnt work. had a close call on my aprilia pre steering damper.

Originally posted by Nero Diablo View Post
                On normal dampers they are usally sealed units, i'd look around the damper and see if you can see signs of leakage. Most likely headsteam bearing though when was it last serviced? when is it due next it might be simply a case of the bearings beading in from new with wear. Usually with headsteam bearing the bars will give a bit of a shake whilst deacclerating with no preaure applied ie hands off. Might be worth testing probally out of sight of the po po they might frown upon that.

bike has just ticked over 6000kms, it had the initial service at 800kms then another at 3000 (due to track use) then last month/ <400kms ago the 6000kms first scheduled service.

Comment

If there's a problem with the HESD, the HESD light should come on.

However, if the steering is easier when just pushing the bike around, it sounds to me like there might be something going on with it. I know what you mean about the steering having a little resistance when pushing it around, you can also sometimes hear the damper moving as you turn the bars (at least on mine, anyway).

Not sure whether a dealer will be arsed to look at it properly though, would check it out on 600rr.net and see if its happened to anyone else.

And yeah, HESD is non-adjustable, unless you get the HRC ecu and re-program it...
                  “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

yeh thro got a good thing going with the dealer and will take it on tuesday. I know the sound your on about when you move the bars. and it just feels alot lighter then before

Comment

Yeah +1 on not opening the HESD unit.
                      Assuming you can get the red loctited torx screws out, the unit will need to be fully submersed in oil to be refilled without air trapped in it.
                      oh and you can't find the oil because its unserviceable so you have to use 5wt fork oil or something similarly less viscous.
                      Its easier to buy a secondhand unit from a wreckers.
                      Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
                      Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

If your new tyres are still real pointy maybe there's something in that.

But... if in doubt, take it in, get it checked.

It will be in the back of your brain fucking with your head unless you do.
                        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

10 bucks says your front tyre pressure is higher than normal. Check it with a guage other than that one you should be using at least once a week.
                          EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

Originally posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
                            10 bucks says your front tyre pressure is higher than normal. Check it with a guage other than that one you should be using at least once a week.
                            yeh i should check the tyre pressures but i highly doubt they are higher as the tyres where fitted about a month ago and i have not pumped them up since. but work away so when i jump on the bike and intend on going for a real play i check the pressure. atm the front is 36 well 10 days ago

this was the same as when i had the tyres fitted but the steering back then wasn't as light.

I' may just take it in and get a new unit all links on the hesd are in place, bearings good in the headset.

Thanks heaps for the input guys,

BJ

Comment

Working...
                            X