Bike not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike not charging

Hi I tested the battery voltage on my bike yesterday whilst I had it idling and it was still on 11.8v. I have done a bit of research and come up with the possibility of it being a faulty regulator rectifier, or alternator. Now if the R/R was fried, would it always go open circuit and then in theory I should be noticing more volts? Would it be safer to target my attention to the alternator output? Or output wiring for that matter... now just to find where the hell the alternator is on my bike?!? are they located in the engine casing somewhere?
    \

Best post on this $$$ Thanks
    http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...269-post2.html

I'll go multimetering about 8am. Neighbours already complaining about all the little idiots on pitbikes riding around with no helmet here. Dont blame them, Im going to run one of them over soon. 50cc's with two kids no helmet no lights at night is just death waiting to happen.
    Last edited by SEROW; 01-09-2009, 05:31 AM.
    Originally posted by darkfibre
    Just sync the oil changes with her monthly cycle and get all the grumpyness over with, leaving the rest of the month clear sailing.

Ok generally bikes don't charge at Idle so if you haven't already try it at higher rpm. Regulators also contain the diode pack to rectify the voltage into DC for you battery they can go open short intermittant and all other variation in-between yes check the output of your alt it will be in the engine case normally opposite side of the clutch. On you bike there will also be a CDI ignition unit as well you'll need to be able to tell the difference between the two so if you haven't already i suggest you try and find a workshop manual or similar. You shouldn't need to remove the enigne case just find the relevant wiring and test from there.
    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

I got access to the workshop manual online. It has a really thorough troubleshooting guide. However I will test it at higher revs once I mess with the mixture screw and adjust the float. I didn't know to do this after I rebuilt the carb and wondered why the revs just kept raising. I multimetered the bike and it was 12v with a new battery so that is why I was a bit paranoid. I'll try it when I get back today and see at higher revs. Thanks for your help =) I'll post back about how I went with it all.
      Originally posted by darkfibre
      Just sync the oil changes with her monthly cycle and get all the grumpyness over with, leaving the rest of the month clear sailing.

Comment

Working...
      X