HID fault, am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID fault, am I missing something?

I installed some HID's on my 08 cbr600 i got from ebay prolly 8 months ago. Can't remember what brand. Now a couple of months after installing them, the Hi beam started to crackle for a second when i turned it on then it worked. I pulled it apart to check if it was down to earth and it isn't. So left as is and kept using it. The arcing sound got worse and eventually the unit died. Broke it down to bits and found the transformer had open circuited on the outlet side. Spoke to the bloke and he sent a new one out.

Installed the new unit and taped all exposed terminals (even though no contact on previous unit) Unit worked fine. Now after about the same time period it has had exactly the same fault. Once again not down to earth. And tonight the hi beam just shat.

I will contact the seller, I just want to make sure i'm not missing something? as it seems quite odd for the same fault/time frame. The units plugs into the factory globe and each side (read hi left, low right side) and have a whole separate harness(ballast, transformer). The low side to date is working perfect.

I'm a sparky but can't for the life of me think of a reason for the failure,
    has this happend to anyone?
    any suggestions as to what may cause this?
    Just unlucky twice?
    any single unit you recommend i can get just for the hi beam?

Thanks,

BJ
    Originally posted by Rocket
    Hahah yeah, cos if there's one thing that scares the shit out of people, it's a bunch of 60kg computer geeks on GPX250's wobbling into a carpark.

I bought a pair from newcomdigi (hiking1978 on eBay, I think). One for low beam, one for hi beam. After a couple of months the high beam one shat itself. Swapping bulbs etc determined it was definitely the ballast. Sent it back (12 month warranty).

On the weekend, the low beam one crapped out - so I'm sending that back too for replacement.

I have just replaced a battery which has been, erm, suboptimal for the whole time. I don't know whether the stress of trying to run from low voltage at initial power-on has caused issues but I doubt it - there have always been full volts when I hit the high beams.

Guessing they were just from a crappy batch - see if you can send it back.
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

so any good brand i can use as a replacement just for hi beam?
      Hahah yeah, cos if there's one thing that scares the shit out of people, it's a bunch of 60kg computer geeks on GPX250's wobbling into a carpark.

Comment

Glove or ballast? I think bosch are supposed to be aswesome, but not cheap.
        If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Just a though but would an inline resistor help to cut down power going in? Maybe your kicking in too much? (more likely crap parts though)

Comment

Bought my HID's from Xenon expert
            Had mine installed for over 12 months now with no problems.

Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Ebay HIDS. More of a gamble than, well, gambling. Philips/Bosch are the go. Pricey, but proven.

Comment

i'm guessing your problem is with the ballast?

SuperVision Aka Lookee HID have solve that problem not sure if the offer the slim ballast though

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post
                  i'm guessing your problem is with the ballast?

SuperVision Aka Lookee HID have solve that problem not sure if the offer the slim ballast though

nah mate the problem is with the transformer

Comment

Originally posted by Sumatie View Post
                    Just a though but would an inline resistor help to cut down power going in? Maybe your kicking in too much? (more likely crap parts though)
                    It's called inrush current, and putting a resistor in line isn't the best way to cure it.
                    And I doubt it would be the problem anyway.

Comment

One of the ballast died on my cheap Hid kit from ebay, its just crap low quality ballasts.

Comment

Can you put a capacitor in front of the ballast; making the sudden surge of power to the ballast not as damaging also keeping the voltage up. I notice even when running HID fog lights when you switch them on there is def a brief drop in voltage everywhere, and thats with a new bat and the car running.

Comment

Working...
                        X