Bike not been riden for over 1 year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike not been riden for over 1 year.

I'm looking at buying a TRX 850, and went to look at one on thursday. The owner says its been sitting for over a year, its had a low speed drop, but there only appears to be cosmetic damage. I took it down the servo and pumped the tyres up (they were at 12 and 15psi) and took it for a spin.

When I was on the highway sitting in top gear at about 100-110 WOT it struggled to get going, and just felt like it was choking. I understand that it is a completely different bike to the R6 but it just felt very flat, is there any reason the bike wouldn't perform after sitting for that long, he said that he started it up a few times a month, and he seemed genuine.

I'm trying to get hold of another one that I can ride and see if it was the bike, or just me riding it like an inline 4. But if anyone has any ideas on what could be going on, dirty fuel, carbies, i'm open for ideas.

Oh and I would just take it to a mechanic but its in northam so thats not really possible until i've got time to go again.

6th gear at 100 with WOT?

Too high a gear maybe..?
    Originally posted by Ferris
    I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

heh I have a mate (well Andy does) that lives in grass valley might be able to get him to go have a look for you, hes very mechanically minded (was employed as a lay mechanic) has been on bikes for 40 years and does rebuilds, he's just got a super old Harley up and running.

Let me know if your interested in getting him to look at it for you

Comment

it should still take off fairly hard. even a 600 will, and this should have more torque right??

i dunno, but maybe plugs? if it had stale fuel pumped through it??
        The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

*deleted*
          Edit: Just read it's in Northam.

BTW: Mine sat idle for the 4 months that I was in Africa.
          Started instantly first time and ran sweet.
          Only thing it needed was some air in the tyres.
          GO YAMAHA!

Like lefty said, top gear at 100km/hr....

You'd only be doing at a guess 3000rpm.....she won't spin up like the 600.
          But it shouldn't "struggle"....
          Drop a couple of gears a rip it open.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty View Post
            6th gear at 100 with WOT?

Too high a gear maybe..?
            5th is top gear, I'm not expecting hard acceleration, but it didnt seem to pull much at all, I would have thought with the torque of a twin it should pull steadily to red line.

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
            heh I have a mate (well Andy does) that lives in grass valley might be able to get him to go have a look for you, hes very mechanically minded (was employed as a lay mechanic) has been on bikes for 40 years and does rebuilds, he's just got a super old Harley up and running.

Let me know if your interested in getting him to look at it for you
            Thanks stoney, i'll shoot you a PM if I need someone to have a look at it.

Originally posted by #124 View Post
            it should still take off fairly hard. even a 600 will, and this should have more torque right??

i dunno, but maybe plugs? if it had stale fuel pumped through it??
            Yeh it didn't pull as hard as I expected it would, coming off the R6 I expected a difference, but not that much

Comment

Originally posted by dugy View Post
              *deleted*
              Edit: Just read it's in Northam.

BTW: Mine sat idle for the 4 months that I was in Africa.
              Started instantly first time and ran sweet.
              Only thing it needed was some air in the tyres.
              GO YAMAHA!

Like lefty said, top gear at 100km/hr....

You'd only be doing at a guess 3000rpm.....she won't spin up like the 600.
              But it shouldn't "struggle"....
              Drop a couple of gears a rip it open.
              Yeh I think I was just riding it way too much like my bike, when I did drop a gear it seemed to get into its stride a little more. Just out of curiousity when you take off, if you dont give it enough revs, is there a shuddering feeling?

Comment

did u check the speedo wen u gassed it up?

i recently rode an sp1 around barbs (oh so gently) and it feels like a tractor, smooth as, and just keeps goin, no surging, no top end rush, so it feels much slower, but having folowed it around on mine, i no its dead heat in the straights..

just saying, is it slow, or did it just feel that way??
                The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by scottyj View Post
                  if you dont give it enough revs, is there a shuddering feeling?
                  I think that's a normal feeling in v-twins.

Could be wrong though...
                  Originally posted by Ferris
                  I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

My thoughts are electrical - plugs etc, but on the other hand it could be choking from a dirty air filter and wanting to breathe at the higher speed.

I'm not a whiz on bike mechanics though.

It shouldn't struggle at 100, more like double that when you start getting closer to its peak top speed.
                    Nothing from something.

Comment

V twin power delivery....

My 998 doesnt feel like its pulling hard either...
                      I guess the give away is the blur of trees!!!

Clean out the fuel tank, change fuel filter (if it has one).....

Anyone know where I can source some friction plates
                      for a TRX850????

Dont say Yamaha Dealer!!!!

Comment

It's probably a combination of old fuel and dirty carbies, and maybe a stiff chain.

You should still have some pull, but top gear at 100kph might be asking a little much going from experience on my VFR800 & test riding an F800ST.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonchilds View Post

You should still have some pull, but top gear at 100kph might be asking a little much going from experience on my VFR800 & test riding an F800ST.

With a 5 speed box....

Lug Lug Lug.....

Comment

Check air/fuel filters?
                            Drain and re-prime fuel lines with new fuel?
                            Check carby?(might prevent oxygen/fuel reaching cylinders?)
                            Spark plugs(as already said)
                            Umm....
                            Electricals as said. 1 cylinder not firing perhaps?(you said it was v-twin right?) Checked oil? Saw another thread where the old oil was left in there/not checked/replaced when serviced, and it was messing with the power delivery.

Spend an hour tops and the problem should become apparent, but im not a mech so cant really give sound advice, apart from what i picked up from here and on cars(they always have the same problems )
                            Success is nothing more then taking advantage of an opportunity.

Comment

In hindsight I should have gone for a 40 minute ride instead of a 20 minute one, the price is right though, and I think I will just have to adjust my riding style and stop waiting for the powerband.

Comment

Working...
                              X