oil light coming on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil light coming on

help! my oil light has been flickering on a few times now, need a bit of advice.

bought a 97 YZF1000r abount a month ago cheap, mainly cause its got high km's, 90,000kms. i know nothing on history. was riding to perth one day and oil light came on for about 10 seconds, then off again. this happened 4 times over an hour period.
    i decided to do a service, yamaha said it should take 3 litres of oil, i drained 2.2 litres. put in 3 litres of mineral oil, but i would of liked to have put a bit more in, was just under the full line on the sight glass.
    i changed the oil about 700km's ago. now today coming to work it came on and stayed on for about 20 minutes, if i idled it the light went out.
    the reason i didnt pull over was cause i think its possible its a faulty oil pressure switch, or even if it was low oil, there is still at least 2 litres of oil, cause ive been checking sight glass regularly.
    checked sight glass when i got to work, its under the low level, but not too much though.
    what could it be? the oil pressure switch or faulty oil pump?
    also will the oil pressure switch come on with under 2 litres of oil?
    pretty sure its not wiring, cause then the light would of flickered on and off if rubbing earth.

Had this with my 99 R1. It's most likely a dicky oil level sender.

Just keep your eye on the sight glass and at least you'll know that the level is ok.

Either replace the sender or put up with the light.

Pretty common problem AFAIK.
    Find me on Instagram

Comment

Well if it wasn't a oil sender running it for 20minutes without oil preasure the motor would be toast by now. For the bucks involved I'd replace the sender while the bike didn't cost you much its redeming feature is it works and knowing weather it has oil preasure or not is one step towards keeping it that way.
      Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

It's a common Yamaha fault.
        Same on my '03.

EDIT: But you still need to top up your oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Orson View Post
          Had this with my 99 R1. It's most likely a dicky oil level sender.

Just keep your eye on the sight glass and at least you'll know that the level is ok.
          Just FYI, the warning light isn't for oil level, it's for oil pressure. It's entirely possible for the sight glass to be showing the right oil level, but something else to be wrong with the pump or oil system.
          FTP

Comment

I had the same thing with my 98 R1. Try topping up with a bit of extra oil, that worked a treat on mine, light didn't come on anymore.
            If it still comes on, then maybe get the switch checked out.
            If it's not that maybe look at replacing the oil pump.
            -JC-

Comment

Originally posted by BigTim View Post
              Just FYI, the warning light isn't for oil level, it's for oil pressure. It's entirely possible for the sight glass to be showing the right oil level, but something else to be wrong with the pump or oil system.

Oh OK. I always thought it was level because whenever mine came on, topping up the oil did the trick. We're talking about the one on the right-hand side of the tacho yeah?

Attached Files
              Find me on Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Orson View Post
                Oh OK. I always thought it was level because whenever mine came on, topping up the oil did the trick
                Your sump holds the oil that the oil pump picks up to lubricate your motor. If there is not enough oil in there, the pickup is not immersed in the oil and therfore cant pick up any oil. So by topping up your oil, you raise the oil level and as a result the pick up then becomes submerged in the oil.

The oil pressure switch works by opening a set of contacts when there is oil pressure in the system, this turns OFF your 'oil' light meaning everything is alright. As others have said, get the switch checked first (easist thing) then go from there. It is coming on for a reason. Best to check it out now or it could cost you shit loads more !!!

Comment

thanks for your advice, that is a bit more piece of mind, concidering i still gotta ride back to mandurah after i finish night shift tonight lol
                  i will replace pressure switch and top up oil and go from there, as long as its ok for the MAD ride next sunday :-)

Comment

Well if by the time you get home the motor is very hot and making horrible clunking noises then no your bike is not ok to ride to MAD.
                    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

^But he'll be mad at not riding to MAD.
                      Success is nothing more then taking advantage of an opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                      X