too much oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too much oil

Changed my Oil today and I accidentally overfilled it, looking at the oil inspection window its at the very top of the window. Can this cause any damage, like put extra stress on the oil lines? Worth draining a bit?

Not 100% but it can work its way into the airbox (engine breather or something) and then go into your cylinders which is very bad. Just drain it.

Comment

If it's still within the bounds of the window, you're probably not going to be doing too much damage if you're not flogging the tits off the bike.

If you're well over the top of the window, you can do some serious damage to the crank & other bits.

Comment

Drain it and refill it to the correct oil amount if you are concerned that you have overfilled it and not sure by how much. Too much oil is just as bad as too little. Overfill it too much and you will damage the engine.
        Your owners manual should tell you what the required amount is. Use a clean container or something similiar and mark the exact amount, and fill the bike to the exact amount. Run the engine, recheck the level after letting it sit, might have dropped a bit after the filter fills up, top up carefully.
        Christie. 1972-2012. RIP my dear friend. Never forgotten.

Comment

Did it to a lawnmower once, fucked it big time

Then again it was for a very long time. Just drain it and re-fill it, i wouldnt start my own bike knowning i've done something wrong.

Comment

I would drain to spec. Over filling can lead to excess pressure and stress gaskets, etc.
            PSB Roller - http://soundcloud.com/talon

Comment

Actually they did a test in a pommy bike mag where they overfilled a ZX by 2 pints. Made bugger all difference.
              You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

2 pints...1.2 litres!! Interesting, but imho the manufacturer recommends an amount for a reason. You could perhaps get away with it on some bikes (depending on sump size, dry sumps etc) but having excess oil smashing against your finely balanced bottom end bits is not a good long term proposition for your engine.
                A bit over...ok. 250 mls or more, not a good idea.
                Christie. 1972-2012. RIP my dear friend. Never forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                X