Drive chain maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive chain maintenance

I was just doing a routine maintenace check usiing my hanes manual for my 1998 Kawasaki ZX-6R. When i checked the freeplay on my drivechain it is roughly about 20-30mm. My book specifies that the allowed freeplay is between 35-40mm. It says i should replace it if its too tight. Should i follow the books instructions or practically you don't have to? If i do what are some real good aftermarket chains that i should consider?

can you push the axle forward?
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Slackin off rear axle nuts and move wheel forward small amount. Re tighten, sit on seat and compress rear suspension a few times. Check chain free-play & alignment. If not then re-adjust. If ok, tighten nuts to torque setting, go for small ride. Get home and check torque and chain again. Job done.
      https://www.facebook.com/mgmotorcycletraining25/

Comment

oh nice one thats gonna save me some coin. Thought I would have to go and get a new drive chain.

Comment

Originally posted by liquidcoats View Post
          oh nice one thats gonna save me some coin. Thought I would have to go and get a new drive chain.
          If you do ever need to get new chain and that (well eventually you will i guess) i just put a Driven chain and sprocket kit on my bike. Took about 2 weeks from order to arrival in aus and i think it was about 350AU from memory. This was a "power up kit" so i dont know how much it will differ for yours. something to keep in mind though.

Comment

Originally posted by stig View Post
            If you do ever need to get new chain and that (well eventually you will i guess) i just put a Driven chain and sprocket kit on my bike. Took about 2 weeks from order to arrival in aus and i think it was about 350AU from memory. This was a "power up kit" so i dont know how much it will differ for yours. something to keep in mind though.
            Bloody hell thats expensive, you could have bought JT sprockets and a Tsubaki chain locally for way less than that, supported local business and had it in a day.

Comment

yeah, that is very expensive. My kit was $185US
              If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Yeah i dunno, probably was a bit much. I got their power up kit, with the hardened rear sprocket and RK chain.

$326 AU by the time it got here.

Havent heard of that other company before, they local in WA?

Comment

Most sprockets would be case hardened. Some better than others of course, but there's always Chaingang over east who claim to have superior hardening.

And you'd really want the hardened front sprocket to go with a hardened rear, as the fronts wear 2-3 times faster.

Comment

How worn are your sprockets? if the teeth are 'hooked' then change the lot two new sprockets and a new chain. Loosening a fucked chain can result in a bit of a disaster -

did you check the chain slack in more than one place? If the chain has long tight spots it may need changing

can you lift the chain off the rear sprocket halfway up at axle height, so you have a gap between the chain and sprocket = if too much = new chain

How much side play is there in the top run? too much side play = too worn = change it.

Check the length of the chain over X number of links - some manuals indicate the length at which the chain is worn.

Change the chain change the sprockets too.

some chain tips sites
                    Motorcycle Chains - Best Motorcycle Gear Maintenance Tips and Chain Reviews
                    All About Chains
                    Supported and kept fit by sigpic

Comment

cheers fellaz well when i get some new rubber I was going to get it done then. Any good brands to suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by Hostilemonk View Post
                        did you check the chain slack in more than one place? If the chain has long tight spots it may need changing
                        ^this is very important

just about every chain ive ever owned develops tight spots towards the end of its life.

also remember the chain pulls tighter when the swingarm deflects, the chain slack must allow for bottoming out of the rear shock otherwise the swingarm will act as a lever that pulls the chain tight against the drive and driven sprockets possibly snapping the chain and damaging drive shaft bearings.

if the manual says 35mm and its 20mm then adjust it to its correct specification.
                        Originally posted by Bendito
                        If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by stig View Post
                          $326 AU by the time it got here.
                          You were ripped, bro.

Comment

Working...
                          X