yzf 426 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yzf 426 question

hey guys got a question and hoping some1 can shed some light on this situation, anyways i bought a yz 426 couple months back and it ran fine and all that jizz, anyways wen its time 2 start it i use the decomp lever give it 3 kicks and let it out and kik it 4th time and would start everytime.. 2day i went 2 do that as few of the boys were going riding and decomped it 3 times and go 2 kik it on the 4th and it wont let u kik it... the kik start will only go so far, wont let u give a full kik so wont start sometimes only go 3/4 sumtimes 1/2 but yer only wen decomp lever is pushed in will the kick start go down 2 were its meant 2

any1 know wat could be happening?

kick harder, if its new compression would be pretty high on a 426.

Otherwise bump the motherfucker
    anything fits with a run up

Comment

Originally posted by willy_109 View Post
      kick harder, if its new compression would be pretty high on a 426.

Otherwise bump the motherfucker
      iv booted the fuk out of it, plus got some pretty big bois on it trying aswell and wit out the lever pressed it wont kick, its only maybe 4 hrs old from rebuild

Comment

Is it seized or something??
        Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

Comment

Remove sparkplug...

Keep sparkplug lead well away...

Kick vigorously...

Does liquid come out? fuel, water?

Comment

As above !!!! . If it still doesnt kick you have something gone wrong in the motor. Hopefully it's just "girly leg syndrome" but if not and there is damage, You Sir are lucky it didnt happen during a ride!
            "insert witty comment here"

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
              Is it seized or something??
              i hope not

Comment

Originally posted by inertia View Post
                As above !!!! . If it still doesnt kick you have something gone wrong in the motor. Hopefully it's just "girly leg syndrome" but if not and there is damage, You Sir are lucky it didnt happen during a ride!
                il check it out now... lol girly leg syndrome..

Comment

Sounds like it has compression now. Kick it slow til the kick starter is hard to push, pull in the decomp and just bump it over TDC its about an 1/8 of a push then kick as normal decomp out.

MM

Comment

my tools have gone walk abouts so cant do anything 2night any1 wanna donate there tools and 2secs of there time 2night haha

Comment

piss the manual decomp of and get an auto decomp exhaust cam. Takes about a half hour to fit and is the best thing i have ever done to my bike. Put hotcams in last week bike hooks along now and exhaust note has completly changed.

But back to ur problem it sounds like ur not finding top dead center b4 kickin it. If its still goin the full stroke with decomp lever then nothing is jammed or siezed it must be in ur starting method. Dont try and force it cos its possible to break the kick start gear.

Not sure why ur kickin it with the decomp lever pulled as all this will do is make the engine more likely to flood. This method always worked for me so gove it a try.
                      Dont touch throttle or anythin
                      bring kick start all the way to top and slowly kick it down till u feel it go tight, pull decomp lever in about 1/3 and apply a bit of pressure to the kick start u should feel it like jolt very lightly as it moves down this is the piston reaching top dead center.
                      Keep pushing the kickstart gently and u should feel it go slightly tight again. The piston is now just past TDC.
                      Let the kickstart up to top again and give it one big kick and bike should start.

Positioning the piston at TDC gives the piston a complete up and down stroke when u give it a full kick and more likely to start.

But i'd seriously look into 03 onwards exhaust cam with auto decomp. It replaces the lever mechanism with a small pin, cam and spring inside the Exhaust cam that opens the exaust valve automatically as u kick it. My YZf engine is about 25hrs old after full rebuild and has bulk compression I needed to wear my boots to kick it properly now with the auto decomp cam i can start it bare feet it starts so easy.
                      B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

The bike went to 450 in 03 do the cams fit the 426. I know the 250's do not sure on the 426/450.

MM

Comment

Originally posted by mrmike View Post
                          piss the manual decomp of and get an auto decomp exhaust cam. Takes about a half hour to fit and is the best thing i have ever done to my bike. Put hotcams in last week bike hooks along now and exhaust note has completly changed.

But back to ur problem it sounds like ur not finding top dead center b4 kickin it. If its still goin the full stroke with decomp lever then nothing is jammed or siezed it must be in ur starting method. Dont try and force it cos its possible to break the kick start gear.

Not sure why ur kickin it with the decomp lever pulled as all this will do is make the engine more likely to flood. This method always worked for me so gove it a try.
                          Dont touch throttle or anythin
                          bring kick start all the way to top and slowly kick it down till u feel it go tight, pull decomp lever in about 1/3 and apply a bit of pressure to the kick start u should feel it like jolt very lightly as it moves down this is the piston reaching top dead center.
                          Keep pushing the kickstart gently and u should feel it go slightly tight again. The piston is now just past tdc.
                          Let the kickstart up to top again and give it one big kick and bike should start.

Positioning the piston at tdc gives the piston a complete up and down stroke when u give it a full kick and more likely to start.

But i'd seriously look into 03 onwards exhaust cam with auto decomp. It replaces the lever mechanism with a small pin, cam and spring inside the exhaust cam that opens the exaust valve automatically as u kick it. My yzf engine is about 25hrs old after full rebuild and has bulk compression i needed to wear my boots to kick it properly now with the auto decomp cam i can start it bare feet it starts so easy.
                          you sir are a champion, 1st kik

Comment

Another method that may work - put in gear roll bike backwards till it locks - that means you at compression in reverse rotation and past TDC on normal rotation - then neutral - then kick start it - But glad MrMike got it sorted
                            Supported and kept fit by sigpic

Comment

thx for all ur help guys

Comment

Working...
                              X