Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question of Sprockets.

Hello.

I wish to change the front sprocket on my 06 r6. I have read on this forum (and others) that a 15 tooth, (replacing the stock 16 tooth), is a good cheap and worthy mod. Am just wondering where to buy this product, (searched the net with little luck on Aus sights), which manufacturer and likely cost. If you could help I would be most grateful.

Likewise, I would enjoy hearing from those that may have done this and its affects on their riding (especially at Wanneroo Raceway), on the bike and any further recommendations.

Thank you very much.

Andrew.
    fohn

Tried your local Yamaha?
    I've found dealers usually stock sprocket sizes a few teeth either way...

Comment

Hey mate, tried 5 Star Yammy?
      Just down the road from Coobie.

Comment

Noob question:

I know nothing about bike mechanics; am I correct in thinking that the 15 tooth would smaller in diameter to the 16 tooth, thus resulting in an effect similar to changing the final drive ratio in a car?

Comment

Hi mate,

I just recently did a -1 tooth (15T count front) and +1 tooth rear on my gixxer 600, 520 conversion with a chain kit from Driven Racing. As I have been told I paid a bit much ($300 for my kit) but you get that i guess.

Check out the following:
          Driven, Vortex, RK (chain) some others i think JT (not sure on name).

As for performance, well I dont have a track near me but the bike feels a decent amount stronger now especially right on 7000rpm. Gives nice pull out of tight corners in 2nd and even 3rd. Pulls pretty hard through the rest of the rpm range for a 600 also.

Downsides (no biggy really)
          Speedo is out now (speedo healer will fix but I cant be fucked)
          Bike is a bit more "buzzier" (not a big deal with ya headphones in)
          Tempted to do more wheelies (which I am sure will eventually fuck my bike)

Hope this helps.

Comment

you are correct

Comment

Originally posted by Tannhauser View Post
              Noob question:

I know nothing about bike mechanics; am I correct in thinking that the 15 tooth would smaller in diameter to the 16 tooth, thus resulting in an effect similar to changing the final drive ratio in a car?
              Yep.

Do a google search there are a few technical people out there that can explain it very well. I think there was even a thread on here somewhere....

Comment

aesch, how old are your current chain and sprockets?
                If relatively new, then yeah, go ahead and change the front sprocket, but if they are getting on a bit, do the whole set, front and rear sprockets and chain.
                If you don't, you'll end up with nasty wear characteristics and severely shorten the lifespan of all the components involved.

EDIT: And go speak to the boys at five star, they'll look after you.

Comment

Cool, thanks guys. Searching now.

Sorry OP for the hijack.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                    aesch, how old are your current chain and sprockets?
                    If relatively new, then yeah, go ahead and change the front sprocket, but if they are getting on a bit, do the whole set, front and rear sprockets and chain.
                    If you don't, you'll end up with nasty wear characteristics and severely shorten the lifespan of all the components involved.

EDIT: And go speak to the boys at five star, they'll look after you.
                    The man in the know

I got told (from someone i dont trust however) that you can turn the sprocket around to wear the other side. I disregarded it straight away out of commonsense, but is there any truth to that? i wouldnt be doing the front no way at all, but the rear seeing as its not driving then might be alright?

Just a curiosity, i change the entire set to be kosher

Comment

This is a standard change to the gearing - especially for Wanneroo best appears to be -1 front and +2 rear (15/47)

If you want to see the changes and its effect on tire wear go to Gearingcommander.com and load up the data for your bike - the site allows three setting - standard, and two changes - plug in the gearing and it indicates the changes in revs, speed, wheelbase, chaibn length etc.

alternatively download this Spreadsheet and plug in the data from your manual into the pink cells and it will allow you to look at the differences in three different sets of gearing.

15 on the front is the standard change people make - however, some use a 14 front and a higher rear sprocket eg 14/45 or 14/44

depending on your speed around Wanneroo the 15/47 would be about correct and you can JUST get away with the standard chain length (but most use 520 chains so order new ones with the sprockets) on the 08 - not sure about the 06's. With the 15/47 however you may find you have to short shift into 5th between skyline and the basin as you can run out of revs before your breaking point. (15/45 ratio is too high and you may not even use 6th - 14/45 = 15/48 on the 08)

So go to 15/47 in a 520 chain if you are doing Wanneroo regularly - BUT retaining the standard chain size is ok and there is virtually no real difference unless you looking for the 0.0001 sec per lap (I'm looking for 2.000 sec per lap )

source - anyone selling Vortex sprockets or your local Yamaha dealer - Midland Yamaha in my case.

HTH -
                      Supported and kept fit by sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tannhauser View Post
                        Noob question:

Yes - lowers gearing so bike revs higher for same speed - most sport bikes are overgeared.

Comment

Originally posted by stig View Post
                          I got told (from someone i dont trust however) that you can turn the sprocket around to wear the other side. I disregarded it straight away out of commonsense, but is there any truth to that?
                          Possibly some of the worst advice ever

Comment

Originally posted by stig View Post
                            I got told (from someone i dont trust however) that you can turn the sprocket around to wear the other side. I disregarded it straight away out of commonsense, but is there any truth to that? i wouldnt be doing the front no way at all, but the rear seeing as its not driving then might be alright?
                            What Desmo said - + sprockets may fit one way only - turn them round or fit the wrong way and your chain can be out of alignment.

Comment

Yeah, but it's not just the offset, the rollers and sprockets wear into each other, putting worn rollers on a "new" leading edge is just asking for trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X